Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can I go? and Can I Work?

Can I go? and Can I Work?

Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

welshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the rough
Default Can I go? and Can I Work?

Hi all,

If Trying to decide where to look into moving to was hard enough, there is then the case of "Can I go" and would i be able to work.
If I was to go, I would be going with the GF (So not married). She is an English teacher with a Degree, so I would assume would be able to move ok.
Me, I have 8 years in IT, but nothing higher then a BTEC qualification.

So the First question, would I be able to go on her application?
and the second.
If successfull, would I then have the right to work on arrival?

Hope someone is able to answer these questions, so I/we can decide is Canada is even a runner, or if NZ is the only option (the only other country we are looking at).

Many thanks

John
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:07 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I go? and Can I Work?

Yes, No, Maybe................the Wiki is your friend

.........both skill sets are in demand though
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

welshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the roughwelshman213 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Brownstar

Thanks BrownStar (I think)

Keep forgetting this place has a good Wiki, another Hour left in the office, time to get reading.!

Cheers

John
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:30 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshman213
Hi all,

If Trying to decide where to look into moving to was hard enough, there is then the case of "Can I go" and would i be able to work.
If I was to go, I would be going with the GF (So not married). She is an English teacher with a Degree, so I would assume would be able to move ok.
Me, I have 8 years in IT, but nothing higher then a BTEC qualification.

So the First question, would I be able to go on her application?
and the second.
If successfull, would I then have the right to work on arrival?

Hope someone is able to answer these questions, so I/we can decide is Canada is even a runner, or if NZ is the only option (the only other country we are looking at).

Many thanks

John
Couple of things to consider here....

- dont assume because you dont have higher than BTEC that you wouldnt qualify as a "Skilled Worker" - if you have worked for at least a year in what Canada classes as a "skilled occupation" then you could qualify - have a look on http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-CNP/docs...er_English.pdf and see if your occupation falls into management type 0 or skill level A or B. If yes then you need to see if you meet the points score too and you qualify. However be aware that unless your occupation is in one of those that qualify for priority processing (the list hasnt been released yet) then really you would also need a job offer to get your application processed in a reasonable timescale (if at all).

- same as above goes for your girlfriend

- depending on the province you want to move to you may be better off applying under a Provincial Nominee Program rather than as skilled workers - could be quicker and more certain.

- as for whether you could go on your GF's application, it depends on your relationship. Have you lived together for at least a year? If yes then you could apply together as common-law partners. If you dont live together then you would either need to get married first (there is also a "conjugal partner" category which doesnt require you to have lived together but its really for fairly exceptional cases).

- if you apply as common-law partners then you need to decide who should be the principal applicant - dont assume it has to be her. I would say that which ever one of you managed to get a job offer first should be the pricipal applicant.

- if you got PR visas then both of you would be able to work on arrival.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

NSPaul,

Thanks, that helps. Yes we have or will have by the time we apply, been living together for a year, so common lwa partner should apply.

So much to think about and only 24hrs a day!

time to waste more time in work tomorrow.

Cheers All

John

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Couple of things to consider here....

- dont assume because you dont have higher than BTEC that you wouldnt qualify as a "Skilled Worker" - if you have worked for at least a year in what Canada classes as a "skilled occupation" then you could qualify - have a look on http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-CNP/docs...er_English.pdf and see if your occupation falls into management type 0 or skill level A or B. If yes then you need to see if you meet the points score too and you qualify. However be aware that unless your occupation is in one of those that qualify for priority processing (the list hasnt been released yet) then really you would also need a job offer to get your application processed in a reasonable timescale (if at all).

- same as above goes for your girlfriend

- depending on the province you want to move to you may be better off applying under a Provincial Nominee Program rather than as skilled workers - could be quicker and more certain.

- as for whether you could go on your GF's application, it depends on your relationship. Have you lived together for at least a year? If yes then you could apply together as common-law partners. If you dont live together then you would either need to get married first (there is also a "conjugal partner" category which doesnt require you to have lived together but its really for fairly exceptional cases).

- if you apply as common-law partners then you need to decide who should be the principal applicant - dont assume it has to be her. I would say that which ever one of you managed to get a job offer first should be the pricipal applicant.

- if you got PR visas then both of you would be able to work on arrival.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:39 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Another option is to come over on a TWP after finding an employer who will give either of you a job and an LMO. Then you could come over and apply for PR whilst living and working here.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:43 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Or depending on the age of both of you BUNAC
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:54 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar

Teachers are not. Read the wiki on 'teaching in Canada'
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Teachers are not. Read the wiki on 'teaching in Canada'
Not being a teacher I haven't read it, but secondary school teachers are in the right catagory to get an LMO
Old Sep 9th 2008, 4:41 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

good luck with getting an LMO as a teacher !!

Most provinces don't have a shortage , for Ontario certainly you need to be registered with the teaching college and they won't do that until you have PR.

I can't imagine that with the way teaching is unionised over here that an employer would be able to satisfy the advertising part of the LMO requirement