Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can I get activated UK LPA ratified for Canada

Can I get activated UK LPA ratified for Canada

Old Jun 8th 2015, 10:20 am
Just Joined

FelineNation has a reputation beyond reputeFelineNation has a reputation beyond reputeFelineNation has a reputation beyond reputeFelineNation has a reputation beyond reputeFelineNation has a reputation beyond reputeFelineNation has a reputation beyond reputeFelineNation has a reputation beyond reputeFelineNation has a reputation beyond reputeFelineNation has a reputation beyond reputeFelineNation has a reputation beyond reputeFelineNation has a reputation beyond repute
Question Can I get activated UK LPA ratified for Canada

Hello all

Been a long wait for us, but we are finally at the final furlong for getting my dad's Visa so we can all move to Canada.

A bit of background, my sister in Canada started the process of sponsoring our father over 5 years ago, when he was a sprightly 87 year old.

He is now a very fragile 92 year old with vascular dementia.

Nonetheless he has passed his medical and we are almost on our way to reunite him with his other two daughters and their spouses, his three grandchildren and spouses and his seven great grandchildren. As I am already Canadian, I'm also moving with him with my husband and another 3 grandchildren.

My question is, I currently have a UK Lasting Power of Attorney for my father to manage both his health and finances. This was activated last year when he was diagnosed with Vascular dementia.

I assume we will be unable to create a new Power of Attorney when we get to Canada, as he is no longer in a fit state to sign one (please correct me if I am wrong).

So is it possible to get the UK LPA ratified for use in Canada?

Hope someone can advise or point me in the right direction.

Many thanks
Old Jun 8th 2015, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I get activated UK LPA ratified for Canada

This is a Provincial, not Federal, matter in Canada, so it depends where you will be living.

Consult a Canadian Lawyer in the Province you are heading for.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 2:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I get activated UK LPA ratified for Canada

It is possible that the POA may be valid. As withabix said above, you need to see a lawyer in the province you will live in and get their opinion.

In BC a POA covers financial matters. For healthcare you need a Representation Agreement Overview Fact Sheet | Nidus Personal Planning Resource Centre and Registry. I am not sure how this will work if he does not have the capacity to sign one.