Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can I eat in the car?

Can I eat in the car?

Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:13 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of
Default Can I eat in the car?

I was recently told that when the UK Goverment banned the use of cell phones by drivers of cars they also banned all drivers from eating and drinking any drink. Is this true?

When I was told this, the Canadians in the group got into a big discussion of drive in's, Tim Hortons and what happens if you just want a drink of water from a water bottle??

I am returning to the UK in April, and the trip is going to be stressful enough without getting in trouble with the local 'old bill'.

Many thanks
Old Mar 27th 2006, 3:41 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I eat in the car?

Yes there was a lady stopped by the police and charged with unsafe driving, because they saw her drinking from a bottle of water whilst at the wheel. I can't remember the details now, but my husband thinks she was actually stopped at traffic lights when she did this. He says there was a spate of cases, including people eating kit-kats etc ......

I must admit, in my job, when I often didn't have time to stop for lunch I would eat my sandwich, drink my drink and munch on my kit-kat as I drove, and I never was stopped. I certainly wouldn't stress about it. Just keep an eye out for the old bill as you go!

Even after the law was brought in about using cellphones there was maybe a brief spell where people were a little wary, but it didn't last long before folks could be seen eating with one hand, drinking with the other, with their phone clamped between head and shoulder, and presumably driving with their knees!!!
Old Mar 27th 2006, 4:08 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Yes there was a lady stopped by the police and charged with unsafe driving, because they saw her drinking from a bottle of water whilst at the wheel. I can't remember the details now, but my husband thinks she was actually stopped at traffic lights when she did this. He says there was a spate of cases, including people eating kit-kats etc ......

I must admit, in my job, when I often didn't have time to stop for lunch I would eat my sandwich, drink my drink and munch on my kit-kat as I drove, and I never was stopped. I certainly wouldn't stress about it. Just keep an eye out for the old bill as you go!

Even after the law was brought in about using cellphones there was maybe a brief spell where people were a little wary, but it didn't last long before folks could be seen eating with one hand, drinking with the other, with their phone clamped between head and shoulder, and presumably driving with their knees!!!
Thanks for that. It makes sense that the person was charged with 'unsafe driving' rather than a specific offence of 'eating whilst driving' which seems a bit extreme.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 4:26 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Thanks for that. It makes sense that the person was charged with 'unsafe driving' rather than a specific offence of 'eating whilst driving' which seems a bit extreme.
I think the whole business is about whether you can be properly in control of a car whilst occupying one (or both!) hands, and/or your attention in anything other than driving! This is what the mobile phone thing was about. The RAC and AA wanted even hands-free phones to be banned whilst driving because of the distraction factor. I can think of plenty of other things, entertainment systems, children and pets in the car etc, that might be a greater distraction ..... maybe they should ban the lot!!
Old Mar 27th 2006, 5:10 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Not if your with my Hubby! Crumbs? In the Car?

Sorry couldn't resist that one