Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can he stop me taking my kids?

Can he stop me taking my kids?

Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

NSboundTaffys will become famous soon enoughNSboundTaffys will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can he stop me taking my kids?

Originally Posted by jackiewalters
2 sons 16 and 11 years one daughter 10years
I notice one on the children is 16, does anyone know if he is excluded from these legalities? I was under the impression once the 16th birthday is reached any decision is theirs (the child) by law and no parent needs any kind of court order to move country unless the child is disabled, in which case it is increased to the age of 18.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is 18 in Canada

Ruby
Old Dec 28th 2008, 7:43 pm
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RubyRose
I think it is 18 in Canada

Ruby
Children in canada are partially emancipated at the age of 16. By the age of 16 they are allowed to choose where they wish to live and whether they wish to live alone.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

From previous threads on here I thought that if no father was listed on the birth certificate then there are no legal obligations or privileges for the father and that all that was needed for CIC was a letter from a solicitor outlining the law in Britain.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
You are joking, of course.
Actually I was dead serious despite the sarcastic tone.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:07 am

Rainey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Can he stop me taking my kids?

I have moved over here from the Uk with my partner and both daughters from a previous marriage. I eventually got my PITA ex husband to sign a letter through a solicitor allowing me to remove the children from the duristiction to Canada......to date i have never been asked for it. Am now in the process of PR and they have asked for this letter......i would get one done just to be on the safe side.

Best of luck with you forthcoming move
Lorraine
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:26 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retsujou
Children in canada are partially emancipated at the age of 16. By the age of 16 they are allowed to choose where they wish to live and whether they wish to live alone.
Not in all provinces.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:29 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Oh. Well the system over here can hold you hostage, for years, if the other biological parent involved wants to exercise his/her rights. There is bugger all relationship between rights and obligations, and most of them know it.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:15 am
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dingbat
Not in all provinces.
Alright, let me rephrase that. Minors are allowed to establish an independent household at 16. Which is a federal law.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moondevil
When i booked mine into school they wanted to see the paperwork, just for there records.
Immagration didnt bat an eyelid, but then id already changed her name by deedpoll and by her request

Its better to get the stuff whilst in the uk, i really didnt want to drag this up before we left, but as long as have made her safe then that is important.
MIKE - The father area on the birth cert is left blank, the mother is asked if she wants the name adding or not, as they are unmarried she has this right.
Unless he goes to court and gets a DNA if proved the bio father he can ask to be added to the Birth certificate under recent changes this the mother has no con trol over, in doing this the father then has shared responsabilities.

Yes lots of the time the fathers don't bother seeing there children been there got the Tshirt, but there is also the flip side like my son that is desperate to see his son
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
But you must know that it's much more common for the mother to hold the father hostage. The support laws in Ontario (specifically Ontario as I'm not familiar with those in other provinces) may be phrased to include same-sex couples and high earning female partners but, in practise, they're about redressing systemic discrimination against generations of women by exacting revenge on the current generation of men.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:06 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

I can see this drifting off topic into a rant ... Whoa there neddy
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
I can see this drifting off topic into a rant ... Whoa there neddy
I don't mind if Mike wants to rant.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:52 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Unless he goes to court and gets a DNA if proved the bio father he can ask to be added to the Birth certificate under recent changes this the mother has no con trol over, in doing this the father then has shared responsabilities.

Yes lots of the time the fathers don't bother seeing there children been there got the Tshirt, but there is also the flip side like my son that is desperate to see his son
That must be a new thing as never mentioned when i registered mine 10+yrs ago. It is good that your son wants to see his son, but the OP advised that he has never bothered and never paid a penny, same as my situation to a point.

I did try, but sadly he wasn't interested blablabla and i walked away and brought my child up, i would never ask him for a penny and told CSA to go and :curse::curse: as i worked and paid my own way...........life

MY advise to the OP is get the info before you leave the UK, like rainey advised she needs the info now for PR, i needed it for school, but my kids are younger than hers, so same town, different experience

Good luck and i hope you get it
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
For children born prior to 1 December 2003, an unmarried father can apply to the court for parental responsibility (which he may or may not get). For the birth certificate:
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/bi...te/birth3e.asp

Answered for England and Wales only.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.