Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

can anyone recommend nice restaurants in Red Deer

can anyone recommend nice restaurants in Red Deer

Old May 7th 2010, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

harju is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: can anyone recommend nice restaurants in Red Deer

If your husband will eat anything, then he will like Red Deer Buffet. It's pig-out dining with mass-produced mediocre food at its finest.

Sylvan Lake's "finest" restaurant is likely Smugglers which is just okay and a little pricey for what you get. I've always liked Duffer's Den at the golf club. Decent food at a good value but again its nothing special and not fine dining.

As someone noted below, I've never been to a place that I would hurry back to.
Old May 7th 2010, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Hiya! Dining in Red Deer can be a bit of a challenge but our favourite places are: The Ranch House, Las Palmeras (mexican), Applebys, Ricky's, Tandoori Grill - on the cheaper scale.

More expensive: Redstones, Lounge 27, Tiffany's.

There is a brand new Restautant opening very soon called The Rock, so interested to try that.

I won't eat at the Rusty Pelican anymore, I've been 5 times, 3 times I had issues, the last being so bad that my husband refused his meal and had take out on the way home. Hoolihans used to be vlery good, but again a bad experience has put us off.

The Mongoli Grill is fun to eat at. La Casa Pergola is a very good Italian, but we haven't tried there yet (I know someone who's son works there). There is also a restaurant called Siberia where we have had a great meal.

For sunday brunch then you must try either The Red Deer Lodge or The Black Knight Inn, just get there before 11ish to avoid the rush of the churches kicking out time.

Lots of people rave about Earls and The Keg for the price you pay I would rather eat at Applebys or Mr Mikes.

People here don't really understand the concept of vegetarian, my daughter's trying that idea but I still make her eat fish, choices of food is limited.

HTH
Piff
Thank you very much! I will check some of these out
I've been a 'veggie' for 25 years now so I'm more than used to there being nothing on the menu for me! and ended up with chips and salad!
Old May 7th 2010, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Originally Posted by harju
If your husband will eat anything, then he will like Red Deer Buffet. It's pig-out dining with mass-produced mediocre food at its finest.

Sylvan Lake's "finest" restaurant is likely Smugglers which is just okay and a little pricey for what you get. I've always liked Duffer's Den at the golf club. Decent food at a good value but again its nothing special and not fine dining.

As someone noted below, I've never been to a place that I would hurry back to.
We tried Smugglers in Sylvan Lake last year and thought it was ok but we got told off for letting our daughter take a bread roll from the salad bar! They wanted us to pay the $14 for use of the salad bar....for 1 bread roll!! but as we're staying in Sylvan, we may go back there minus the bread roll
Old May 7th 2010, 5:17 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harju
The Dragon City Cafe is much the same, not many vegetarian options. I suppose youcould order off the a la carte menu though.
Old May 7th 2010, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

david_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nice

try gasoline alley. im sure you will find a large selection of fine eating establishments there
Old May 7th 2010, 10:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Glad I could help. Hopefully someone who lives in Red Deer will be along with some more suggestions
Move to civilization?
Old May 7th 2010, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Dining out in small town Canada usually seems to involve eating a choice of grilled dead animal with cheese and with a side order of fries, or deep fried dead animal covered in chemical sauce and with a side order of fries. There will be a token tomato slice and lettuce leaf.
Old May 7th 2010, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Dining out in small town Canada usually seems to involve eating a choice of grilled dead animal with cheese and with a side order of fries, or deep fried dead animal covered in chemical sauce and with a side order of fries. There will be a token tomato slice and lettuce leaf.
Old May 8th 2010, 12:10 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by david_oz
try gasoline alley. im sure you will find a large selection of fine eating establishments there
Old May 8th 2010, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Marietuluse

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Hiya! Dining in Red Deer can be a bit of a challenge but our favourite places are: The Ranch House, Las Palmeras (mexican), Applebys, Ricky's, Tandoori Grill - on the cheaper scale.

More expensive: Redstones, Lounge 27, Tiffany's.

There is a brand new Restautant opening very soon called The Rock, so interested to try that.

I won't eat at the Rusty Pelican anymore, I've been 5 times, 3 times I had issues, the last being so bad that my husband refused his meal and had take out on the way home. Hoolihans used to be vlery good, but again a bad experience has put us off.

The Mongoli Grill is fun to eat at. La Casa Pergola is a very good Italian, but we haven't tried there yet (I know someone who's son works there). There is also a restaurant called Siberia where we have had a great meal.

For sunday brunch then you must try either The Red Deer Lodge or The Black Knight Inn, just get there before 11ish to avoid the rush of the churches kicking out time.

Lots of people rave about Earls and The Keg for the price you pay I would rather eat at Applebys or Mr Mikes.

People here don't really understand the concept of vegetarian, my daughter's trying that idea but I still make her eat fish, choices of food is limited.

HTH
Piff
I can agree with PiffPoff,
I have also had a nice meal in Tony Roma's and Moxies. There is a fairly nice indian restuarant north Red Deer called Ashia (on Taylor drive), I had been told the service wasn't good, but found then very accomodating to us and a friend who had allergies. They cooked her a meal specifically.

We are moving to Sylvan Lake next week. We have had good reports of Sams restuarant there and also a good vietnamese which has a good reputation but as yet we have not tried it ourselves.

Safe journey to Alberta,

Mandy

Last edited by Trophy; May 8th 2010 at 1:57 am.
Old May 8th 2010, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramwith
I lived in the area for 3 years, never found any eating places I'd hurry back to.

I don't think the words "Alberta" and "fine dining" are meant to be used in the same sentence though.
Not true of Calgary!

http://www.rougecalgary.com/main/index.php?id=3
Old May 8th 2010, 4:05 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by triumphguy

Do try to keep up.

See post #15 this thread.
Old May 8th 2010, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Do try to keep up.

See post #15 this thread.
You seem to be a man of taste and refinement!
Old May 8th 2010, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by marietuluse
Hi,
Can anyone recommend some nice restaurants in Red Deer or surrounding areas?
We are moving to Sylvan Lake sometime this year, but coming for a holiday in a few weeks. Last year we couldn't find any nice places to eat?
Our daughter loves Chinese, I love Indian and my husband will eat anything!!!
I'm also a vegetarian, so makes things a bit difficult.....there are only so many 'ceasar salads' I can eat in a fortnight
Open to any suggestions........ Thanks
you can always rely on mcdonalds
Chinese food is different in north america.
coming from the midlands curry will be disappointing
I cant help worrying about a vegetarian in rednecksville, alberta....
Old May 8th 2010, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

I googled "vegetarian in Alberta" and found this link.

Seems to be informative:

http://vofa.ca/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.