Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

can anyone help please?

can anyone help please?

Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: can anyone help please?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think you should rock the boat until you get PR. Stick it out somehow.

After that though, if you'd like revenge, you might want to contact Community Living. Parents of disabled children can claim "respite hours" that is, if someone looks after the disabled child, the government will pay for that person. The rate of pay is fixed and, of course, complies with employment law. The conditions are that the parent finds the caregiver and the government pays the caregiver directly but people often cheat, for example, they get the money paid to a relative who has no taxable income. Your employers sound like shitty people and a lot of money is involved so there's a fair chance that they're making a fraudulent claim. At the very least an audit will be a big hassle for them especially if Revenue Canada are dragged into it.

To me the worrying bit of your post is "My employment was supposed to have gone through HRDC for approval.". I hope you have the proper working papers and that PR is in the future.
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!
They claim this money but i don't see it. it does not increase my wage at all. I have already had this discussion with them back in february. I take care of the two other siblings as well. When i did put this too them they simply replied... "frankly how the compensate my wage is none of my business".

This is the hardest part of it all. Because they are nice people generally but not good employers. they balance is hard as i try to keep things amicable but i don't think i am wrong in this at all. I desereve better pay.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nickybum
hey as a mother of a very healthy 2year old boy i know how hard it is to get good child care someone that you can trust with your child so you would think these people would be grateful that they have a loving and caring person to care for their child. i think this child is very lucky to have you by the sounds of it. and you just need to hold in there and grit your teeth till you get the PR then you can make your feelings heard good luck
thanks for that!
I actually take care of three children, one is severly disabled.
I am a mother myself and i also had a disabled child which i sadly lost three years ago. I know what a precious gift they are and you cannot compromise the care of these children. I don't expect an incredible wage as this is why they went for a foreign worker in the first place. I just think it is outrageous to expect anyone to work these long hours for such a low wage. it is slave labour!
They know i am excellent at my job and she rarely feels the need to call home anymore. As i said before, as sad as it is for the children, they will not appreciate me until i leave.
thanks again
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

anatcoutinho@hotmail.com will become famous soon enough

Hi Babyblue,

I'm also a live-in caregiver, working in Quebec though, where labor laws are different. If you have not completed your 2 years of employment yet, my advice to you is: find another job. These people are not going to change and even if you end up getting what you deserve, the relationship with your employers will be so damaged that they will make it hard for you to keep living there.

I applied for PR on January 4th, got my AIP in June and applied for an open work permit right away. I still haven't received it. My point is, even after you finish your 2 years with them, you still have about 8 months until you get your open work permit.

Changing employers is a hassle, the paperwork is unreal, but you owe it to yourself, for your own sanity.

You will need to find another employment (try www.greataupair.com - I found my present family there and they are wonderful), and when everything is almost settled, give them your notice. It will be hard for you and the children, but your current situation is unbearable.

Email me if you would like to talk.

Best of luck,

Ana

Originally Posted by babyblue
thanks for that!
I actually take care of three children, one is severly disabled.
I am a mother myself and i also had a disabled child which i sadly lost three years ago. I know what a precious gift they are and you cannot compromise the care of these children. I don't expect an incredible wage as this is why they went for a foreign worker in the first place. I just think it is outrageous to expect anyone to work these long hours for such a low wage. it is slave labour!
They know i am excellent at my job and she rarely feels the need to call home anymore. As i said before, as sad as it is for the children, they will not appreciate me until i leave.
thanks again
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I think this kind of thing goes on a lot. My sister's son has a girlfriend from Mexico. She was trying to get some kind of a working Visa. Got a job under the table. The lady cheated her out of pay and then more or less told her to get lost. She knew darn well that the girl could not complain because she was really working illegally. Mind you, when the woman needed a caregiver - that was fine!