Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can anyone give me a hand with my resume?

Can anyone give me a hand with my resume?

Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of
Default Can anyone give me a hand with my resume?

I've read the Wiki (and gone round in circles on it as the links don't work properly), read a few other sites and had a few goes but I just can't seem to convert my UK CV into a Canadian resume without it looking/sounding rubbish.
Can anyone take a look at my current UK one and give me any pointers/suggestions?
Ta
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:12 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone give me a hand with my resume?

I'll have a look at it.

I've turned off my private message and e-mail feature here at BE, because I was being inundated with Agony Aunt type PMs and e-mails, and I couldn't keep up.

So I'll send you a private message with an e-mail address to which you can send your resume for me to have a look at it.
x
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

You have mail. Thanks Judy
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

stuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nice

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I'll have a look at it.

I've turned off my private message and e-mail feature here at BE, because I was being inundated with Agony Aunt type PMs and e-mails, and I couldn't keep up.

So I'll send you a private message with an e-mail address to which you can send your resume for me to have a look at it.
x
Hey Judy, that offer open to anyone else??? PPPlllleeaaassee????

Stuart
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:53 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuartm
Hey Judy, that offer open to anyone else??? PPPlllleeaaassee????

Stuart
PM sent.
x
Old Jul 1st 2008, 6:05 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNikki
I've read the Wiki (and gone round in circles on it as the links don't work properly), read a few other sites and had a few goes but I just can't seem to convert my UK CV into a Canadian resume without it looking/sounding rubbish.
Can anyone take a look at my current UK one and give me any pointers/suggestions?
Ta
There are a number of resume styles used in Canada, depending on the job type and background of the applicant. If you would like a 2nd opinion send it over through e-mail, in a word or text format.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but if there is someone in Canada who is in the Oil sector I would like to have my resume checked over and advice gratefully accepted on how to improve it. This has already been done by a member, but the more the merrier sometimes.

Thanks

JET
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice

I don't want to inundate Judy with requests to revamp CV's, especially as we haven't even started. So does anyone know of a site where there is information about Canadian CV layouts? Or perhaps just reply with the headers needed, as I understand you take loads of our "UK" bumpf out.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:09 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by bex1
So does anyone know of a site where there is information about Canadian CV layouts? Or perhaps just reply with the headers needed, as I understand you take loads of our "UK" bumpf out.
There is a Wiki article called Resume-Canada. The section of that article called Sample Resumes gives links to websites that provide examples of actual resumes.

PaulandNikki said earlier in this thread that some of the links in the Resume article weren't working. I then checked all the links in that article, and they worked for me, so I don't know what might have been wrong.

Anyway, the Susan Ireland website gives some good examples of layouts.

I also recommend that, after you've finished Canadianizing your resume, you use the Resume Checklist to ensure that you haven't let anything slip through the cracks.

Hope that helps.
x