Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can anyone briefly explain the house buying process in Canada?

Wikiposts

Can anyone briefly explain the house buying process in Canada?

Old Apr 28th 2013, 6:47 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone briefly explain the house buying process in Canada?

We were new immigrants in Canada and knew nothing about the nuts and bolts of the buying process here in BC, so we used a Realtor. It was the right thing to do and I am pleased we did. Would I do it again without a Realtor? Most likely not.. and definitely not if I was new to the country!

It was our Realtor that pointed out that the property was priced above current market rates and suggested we negotiate the price, downwards of course He knew the market. We didn't. We saved a bundle over the asking price.

If you need a decent Realtor in the South of Vancouver Island... PM me as I would not hesitate in recommending the one we used.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by Aviator
You clearly don't seem to understand how it works in Canada. Whether the commiion is justified or not is irrelavant, it is what it is.

I would not defend realtors as I believe what they charge is outrageous for what they do, hence the 'for sale by owner' concept is growing.
These 2 things don't equate. The fact that "it is what it is" is actually what is now causing people to do other things to change the status quo. That is all I am arguing. The costs are outrageous for the effort involved and some people are voting with their feet.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:19 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scribble
These 2 things don't equate. The fact that "it is what it is" is actually what is now causing people to do other things to change the status quo. That is all I am arguing. The costs are outrageous for the effort involved and some people are voting with their feet.
I would still use a realtor for buying and selling, even after living here for nearly 20 years. If I were selling, negotiate the commission down, if buying I want someone who knows what they are doing and cares what they do. Some are a lot better than others.

The other things 'people are doing' are nowhere hear as effective, which is why realtors do OK. I don't see the FSBO model proliferating and putting realtors out of business yet.

How many properties have you purchased or sold in Canada
Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by Aviator

How many properties have you purchased or sold in Canada
Sold one with my partner...obviously that used a selling agent in the same way someone in the UK would.
Haven't bought one directly yet but I know of one person who used a buying agent and probably got a worse price as the buying agent went too high too quickly as in their opinion the deal needed to be finished quickly.
I know 1 agent as well and I had the same argument with them

I suppose I see the value for some people but for others who are able to research, I don't think it's worth it. There are obviously arguments on either side. I still maintain that 5% is too much.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:52 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scribble
Sold one with my partner...obviously that used a selling agent in the same way someone in the UK would.
Haven't bought one directly yet but I know of one person who used a buying agent and probably got a worse price as the buying agent went too high too quickly as in their opinion the deal needed to be finished quickly.
I know 1 agent as well and I had the same argument with them

I suppose I see the value for some people but for others who are able to research, I don't think it's worth it. There are obviously arguments on either side. I still maintain that 5% is too much.
Anecdotal drivel.

That said I sold my first house in Canada in 1986 by owner (nota bene, there was no internet in 1986). It sold at 5% over the asking price during the first weekend after I'd put a small ad in the Toronto Star.

I was lucky, I doubt I'd do it again.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:58 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

My real estate agent (buying) was fabulous.

He kept in daily communication, emailing any new listings (with details that MLS don't show) as they came in; drove us around to see 10-15 properties; negotiated and re-negotiated the price; drove my son to Toronto to take in a specimen into a lab for testing, collected the results for us 2 days later; renegotiated the price again; gave us the names of 2 lawyers that were reasonably priced; drove to where my son works for him to sign documents (30 minute drive away), collected my son from work a couple of days later and drove him to the bank then took him back to work; helped us find a broker; helped us move - hired and drove the truck and carried boxes; he came round several times after the move to see if we needed any help. He has also offered to help us build a deck this summer!

It didn't cost us a penny apart from a couple of coffee's - by the time he had paid part of his commission to the agency he probably ended up with a couple of thousand dollars, but he certainly earned it in my opinion.

I would recommend him to anyone in this area!

Old Apr 28th 2013, 10:22 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

We used a buyers agent when we first arrived and he was next to useless and as our agent back in the UK was also incompetent we were very eary when we came to buy and sell. It worked out well though our buyera's agent knew the area well and showed us houses we thought would be out of our price range but were not, we bought one of them. She knew the area and was very helpful when we moved in. Our selling agent was excellent. Quality photos, stager, adverts, open house. Sold within a week at the price we wanted to get. If they do their job well it's worth it.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 12:53 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Fresh of the plane 8 years ago, we started working with a local realtor. Although my missus is from this area, she'd never bought or sold a house here or anywhere else. She knew the area but that's about the sum total of our local knowledge. The realtor spent many days showing us around a wide cross-section of properties to give us a sense of what you could get for your money. When we found a potential place and upon hearing the price and dividing by 2.25 (the CAD - GBP exchange back at the time) and getting all excited about how darn cheap it was, he did his research and pointed out that it had sold for 60% less a year previously and that we'd be somewhat foolish to consider the vendors marketing price a good deal. Subsequently, the house we did buy came through him and we saw and offered on it before it hit MLS.

That house has served us well for 7 years or so and through fortuitous timing we've done well out of property inflation in this part of the world. Recently, a feeling that we needed more space for a growing family and very possibly a single level property due to our youngest potentially having some physical disability caused us to start looking for something else. Having found a property, requiring quite a bit of reno work, he helped us put in a lowball offer and coached us through the process of getting our house ready to list.

Now that offer wasn't accepted and we're not minded to offer more at this time. One thing was clear though, the vendor's realtor wasn't going to accept any offer with a "schedule A" i.e. I need to sell my house before I can buy yours, unless it was being marketed and sold by a genuine realtor. If we'd have tried FSBO we'd have fallen at the first hurdle. Working with a realtor does not need to absolve you of the need or opportunity to do your own research into advertised prices in an area etc. (But not the selling prices - these you need a realtor to access). With our guy we know we can have a meaningful discussion on strategy and pricing & he'll go execute it to the best of his ability. In the case of the property we were interested in, the sellers realtor is not providing quite the same level of realistic advice but thats another story.

I also track whats being advertised on propertyguys.com, Kijijii etc. It's very noticeable that those properties being advertised at the market price that a realtor would sell at don't move. A potential purchasers first question is going to be "since you are not paying x% commission you can drop the price can't you?". Well, mine is.

I believe that 5% is a lot for selling real estate. I do understand how the whole structure of the industry is geared towards that model and level of percentage (split of selling and buying realtors commission, brokerage fees, desk fees etc). It is interesting to see a growth in lower commission realtors - 1%, flat fee of $3k etc but my sense is that they provide a very much discount service and that doesn't work for every property. Leastways not in this part of the world.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
My real estate agent (buying) was fabulous.

He kept in daily communication, emailing any new listings (with details that MLS don't show) as they came in; drove us around to see 10-15 properties; negotiated and re-negotiated the price; drove my son to Toronto to take in a specimen into a lab for testing, collected the results for us 2 days later; renegotiated the price again; gave us the names of 2 lawyers that were reasonably priced; drove to where my son works for him to sign documents (30 minute drive away), collected my son from work a couple of days later and drove him to the bank then took him back to work; helped us find a broker; helped us move - hired and drove the truck and carried boxes; he came round several times after the move to see if we needed any help. He has also offered to help us build a deck this summer!

It didn't cost us a penny apart from a couple of coffee's - by the time he had paid part of his commission to the agency he probably ended up with a couple of thousand dollars, but he certainly earned it in my opinion.

I would recommend him to anyone in this area!

Our buying agent even babysat our 3 little girls so we could go to the kitchen supplier and choose our new kitchen and bathrooms.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 12:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
<And one last thing, this conflict of interest thing is complete ******* and shows that whoever complains about it has no idea what they are talking about. It also suggests that their own avarice is clouding their judgement somewhat. A real estate agent does not get rich selling a house. They can make a living selling lots of houses. They can get rich (and some do) selling many, many houses over many numbers of years. You may not think they do much to earn their commission but they can only earn that if they have clients. They do work hard, very hard, to get clients. This is the tough part of their business. They work even harder not to loose them.

There is a concept in business of the lifetime value of a customer. For a real estate agent the value of a customer in not just the commission they will earn on one sale. It is also the commission they will earn when the customer comes back to ask them to handle their next move. It is also the commission they will earn from everyone the customer refers to them, and who they refer to them. Any one customer could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars over a real estate agent’s career. Given that they will trouser about $10 for every $1,000 you spend does anyone seriously think they will try to trick you into paying $10,000 too much just so they can earn an extra $100 and forfeit your value as a customer?
I don't think this is realistic. We've bought and sold a few properties lately. One was hard to shift so the listing agent changed the commision offered to the buyer's agent by reducing hers. That got a wave of new traffic by appealing to the greed of the buyers' agents. Similarly, a buyer's agent is motivated to put the buyer in a house listed with his or her home office; it's not about what the customer wants but about shifting the house with the higher fee attached.

I think all parties to a house sale know that they are unlikely to see each other again. It's not a sales relationship such as a factory and customer might have, one where reputation is important and long term considerations come into play, rather it's a single transaction unrelated to others and the salesperson has to look for the buck; same as on the other days when the agent is selling cars or appliances or whatever.

I think it's very debatable whether or not the agent will have useful local knowledge; if you want to know if a property is horse legal or in a specific school district that's something to ask the relevant authorities; don't take the agent's word for anything.

Last edited by dbd33; Apr 29th 2013 at 12:52 am.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think this is realistic. We've bought and sold a few properties lately. One was hard to shift so the listing agent changed the commision offered to the buyer's agent by reducing hers. That got a wave of new traffic by appealing to the greed of the buyers' agents. Similarly, a buyer's agent is motivated to put the buyer in a house listed with his or her home office; it's not about what the customer wants but about shifting the house with the higher fee attached.

I think all parties to a house sale know that they are unlikely to see each other again. It's not a sales relationship such as a factory and customer might have, one where reputation is important and long term considerations come into play, rather it's a single transaction unrelated to others and the salesperson has to look for the buck; same as on the other days when the agent is selling cars or appliances or whatever.

I think it's very debatable whether or not the agent will have useful local knowledge; if you want to know if a property is horse legal or in a specific school district that's something to ask the relevant authorities; don't take the agent's word for anything.
I can see why you might think that but it is absolutely not the case, as JonboyE said its all about repeat business and referrals. Example: I am meeting a lady from Singapore on Thursday to help her find a house, how did she get my number? Because 2 years ago I took her brother out looking for a rental a couple of times, he ended up finding a private deal and so I made nothing on the deal but still advised him on his rights on the new place, how much he should be paying and that some of the stuff the landlord wanted was illegal. He remembered me and recommended that his sister give me a call. There are even comments on this thread that offer to refer a good realtor.
I would have joined this discussion earlier but I am half way through my 6th consecutive 14-16 hour day - so much for the 'work involved' comment from Scribble.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I would have joined this discussion earlier but I am half way through my 6th consecutive 14-16 hour day - so much for the 'work involved' comment from Scribble.
One thing I will say for agents is that I don't think it's easy. Yes, some commissions are effective gifted (we don't ask anything at all of an agent in buying a property but still nominate one by way of reward for other efforts) but other commissions seem well earned. Hosting umpteen open houses, convincing the seller that the house really isn't worth a fortune, trying to get people to make the interior look less Canadian, all of that seems like hard work.
Old May 2nd 2013, 12:14 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
OK, so it's not all that different from the UK really then. Unless I have misunderstood.
The main legal difference is the GST and GST rebate on new stuff.

But anyway JohnBoyE touched on it but the real difference is caveat emptor.

The building regs, trading standards and all that crap that you know and love in the UK are not as tough in Canada and there is some really shoddy housing out there. I used to work in construction in the UK at one point and there's stuff I see done here that would get you prison time in the UK, the most classic one I remember was a massive hole in the sidewalk covered with a tarp, which is illegal here too but the building inspections are so bad no-one ever noticed.

Air conditioners that are really noisy or badly placed is another one. In sufficient separation between buildings. Bad insulation, air gaps, badly hung doors, etc. Frankly I could go on for ages listing all the crazy stuff I've seen in Canada with construction.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...wednesday.html

This is why you need a realtor.