Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Camera phones at work

Camera phones at work

Old Aug 24th 2004, 2:57 am
Just Joined

KKCDA is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Camera phones in workplaces

What is the policy of employers in Canada regarding carrying of camera phones to work? What will happen to my camera phone once I land in Canada? Will I have to immediately swap it for one without an in-built camera, or can I hope to continue to use it without any hassles?

Last edited by KKCDA; Aug 24th 2004 at 6:50 am.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future
Default Re: Camera phones at work

Originally Posted by KKCDA
What is the policy of employers in Canada regarding carrying of camera phones to work? What will happen to my camera phone once I land in Canada? Will I have to immediately swap it for one without an in-built camera, or can I hope to continue to use it without any hassles?
I can't really see it being a problem.

Int
Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Interested
I can't really see it being a problem.

Int
Guess I was a little vague. Do you mean no employers in Canada will object to carrying your camera mobile phone to work? If that's true, yippee, I can bring in my K700i without worries.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by KKCDA
Guess I was a little vague. Do you mean no employers in Canada will object to carrying your camera mobile phone to work? If that's true, yippee, I can bring in my K700i without worries.
I don't think Camera phones are as common in Canada as they are in the U.K., so therefore there probably aren't any policies in place about them! Not that I have heard of anyway.

I expect if you worked for CSIS or top level government or something then they might have something to say about bringing camaeras to work.

What sector do you plan to work in?

Int
Old Aug 24th 2004, 4:13 am
Just Joined

I don't think Camera phones are as common in Canada as they are in the U.K., so therefore there probably aren't any policies in place about them! Not that I have heard of anyway.

I expect if you worked for CSIS or top level government or something then they might have something to say about bringing camaeras to work.

Int
I will be looking for an administrative job, so it could be any sector for that matter (I am coming over to settle, not to revel in luxuries, you know); but I certainly thought the govt. would be a little more strict as far as camera phones were concerned, especially due to concerns on the other side of the border.

Anyway, it now seems I can keep my phone for a long time. Thanks.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 11:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Most industrial sites in the majority of Western countries forbid bringing cameras on site without authorisation. The same will apply to camera phones, if they know such things exist.

In office buildings this should not be an issue.

To the OP - are you sure your phone will work in Canada?

Jeremy

Int
Old Aug 24th 2004, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

The only comment I have heard about cellphones in general was from my neighbour. She is a supervisor with a big insurance company. She said that all the staff used to have a telephone on the desk. But they wasted lots of time on personal calls and so the phones were removed and there is now one central telephone. They are allowed to have personal calls, but the other supervisor is a tyrant and so the staff didn't like her being able to tell how long they spent on personal calls, so they started bringing their cellphones to work and making their personal calls in their cubicles on their cellphones.

The other week my neighbour said that the staff were going to be ticked off because at a supervisor's meeting - they had just been told to tell their staff that all cellphones have to be turned OFF at work.

I said that the trouble is that staff abuse their privileges and this is what happens. We all agreed that you are going to work to work - not to chat on the phone - if you chat on the phone then you will lose the privilege, which is what has happened now.

So - maybe there are other places that restrict cellphones - only because they want to cut down on personal calls.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 9:34 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

On the subject of camera phones, if there is a problem with taking them to work, in some cases it would be possible to change the covers so that the lens is hidden. I have a Nokia 6610i (or something like that). The i suffix means it is a camera phone, I gather, but you can get replacement covers for the 6610, which doesn't have the hole in the back for the lens.

P.S. Hello, lizwil98!