Reload this Page >

Cambridge, Ontario

Cambridge, Ontario

Old Mar 30th 2009, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

davesmithsrm is on a distinguished road
Default Cambridge, Ontario

Hello everyone

I have been offered a job transfer from my HQ to Cambridge, Ontario ...

Can you tell me what effect the economic turndown has had on this region as i believe that it is a highly industrial area, with Toyota being one of the main local employers.

Also, i have done some research on the web and from books, but what is this area really like to live (it seems that there are a large number of europeans live in this area).

Thxs
Dave
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

djchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nice
Default Re: Cambridge, Ontario

Dont know much about economy but visited when we landed last sept very nice area, spoke to a good and helpful realtor in Cambride she gave us lots of information on the area this is her email [snip]
im sure she can give you some help
good luck

dave

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 31st 2009 at 8:24 pm. Reason: Pls pm the email address rather than post it on an open forum - she won't thank you if she's inundated with spam!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by davesmithsrm
Hello everyone

I have been offered a job transfer from my HQ to Cambridge, Ontario ...

Can you tell me what effect the economic turndown has had on this region as i believe that it is a highly industrial area, with Toyota being one of the main local employers.

Also, i have done some research on the web and from books, but what is this area really like to live (it seems that there are a large number of europeans live in this area).

Thxs
Dave
Dave

Have been on a few occasions and we are relocating to Cambridge in June this year.

Not sure what the impact of the global recession has had on the area but OH has secured a job at Research in Motion in Waterloo.

OH is heading out to start working in 2 weeks so if you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I'll see what we can find out!

Michelle
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hollis Family
Dave

Have been on a few occasions and we are relocating to Cambridge in June this year.

Not sure what the impact of the global recession has had on the area but OH has secured a job at Research in Motion in Waterloo.

OH is heading out to start working in 2 weeks so if you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I'll see what we can find out!

Michelle
Was there a reason you are moving to Cambridge while you OH is working in Waterloo...that is a bit of a hike in terms of traffic...

I assume homes are cheaper in Cambridge than Waterloo.

I was in Livingston about 12 years ago at a wedding at the Kirk with the reception at a golf course near Uphall.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by clynnog
Was there a reason you are moving to Cambridge while you OH is working in Waterloo...that is a bit of a hike in terms of traffic...

I assume homes are cheaper in Cambridge than Waterloo.

I was in Livingston about 12 years ago at a wedding at the Kirk with the reception at a golf course near Uphall.

Not really we haven't ruled out Waterloo Oh is going to check out schools. The house prices seem to be comparable, the catchment areas for the secondary schools and being able to get a short term rental will make the decision for us.

Do you stay near Cambridge/Waterloo?

Michelle
Old Apr 1st 2009, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hollis Family
Do you stay near Cambridge/Waterloo?
Michelle
No, but I went to the University of Waterloo and have family on my wife's side in Guelph and Brantford.

My order of preference would be Waterloo, Guelph, Kitchener, and Cambridge.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clynnog
No, but I went to the University of Waterloo and have family on my wife's side in Guelph and Brantford.

My order of preference would be Waterloo, Guelph, Kitchener, and Cambridge.
Thanks for that its good to know, we have spent a fair bit of time in Guelph so this is good to know.

Regards

Michelle
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't gone to Cambridge very often but on appearances I preferred Waterloo, which is why I live here.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PeterF
I haven't gone to Cambridge very often but on appearances I preferred Waterloo, which is why I live here.
Thanks Peter, I am beginning to get the message! We have been talking about options over the past few days and are beginning to lean more towards Waterloo! Did you move over for work? Have you been there for long? Any info would be gratefully received!

Regards

Michelle
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Was offered a job by a company in Kitchener and came over April 2007.

Spent a few weeks looking at the area and determined Waterloo was generally a nicer area (in my eyes). There are good areas in all 3 cities, but when it came to the downtown area, Waterloo was by far the best.

Quite liked Guelph too as it appeared a more European style to the others, which usually consist of one street as downtown (very scruffy in Kitchener's case).

Of course town centre's don't really exist as we know them, it's all about Mall's and there's one in each place and plenty of shopping strips spread around.

My wife doesn't drive yet, which is part of the reason I chose somewhere close to downtown Waterloo.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterF
Of course town centre's don't really exist as we know them, it's all about Mall's and there's one in each place and plenty of shopping strips spread around.
Guelph has a town centre. I left the OH to explore it for the morning on Friday and returned to a car laden with newly purchased stuff.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:56 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Guelph has a town centre. I left the OH to explore it for the morning on Friday and returned to a car laden with newly purchased stuff.
You foolish man. You should never turn a woman loose in places like that.

I made such a mistake last weekend. We went to the mall. Her to get her nails done; me to buy some slippers. When I met up with her, after one hour, she'd had her nails done and bought a new set of plates. An entire dinner service, to replace the set we bought, oh, maybe six months ago.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 12:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
You foolish man. You should never turn a woman loose in places like that.

I made such a mistake last weekend. We went to the mall. Her to get her nails done; me to buy some slippers. When I met up with her, after one hour, she'd had her nails done and bought a new set of plates. An entire dinner service, to replace the set we bought, oh, maybe six months ago.
That's a rather different pile of stuff from that in my car; I came back to a pile of books. A peculiar blend of works on the politics of third wave feminism, Canadians in historical conflicts, and rare poultry breeds. That and dog treats.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 12:14 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's a rather different pile of stuff from that in my car; I came back to a pile of books. A peculiar blend of works on the politics of third wave feminism, Canadians in historical conflicts, and rare poultry breeds. That and dog treats.
That conjures up a picture of YAL munching on a Bonio, while reading about butch 19th century chickens attacking other chickens without hairy legs.

I don't know why but it does.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 12:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That conjures up a picture of YAL munching on a Bonio, while reading about butch 19th century chickens attacking other chickens without hairy legs.

I don't know why but it does.
That certainly captures one side of her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.