cambridge

Old Aug 28th 2011, 7:50 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool cambridge

hi guys does anybody know anything about the town of cambridge in ontario any info would be great. thanks everyone
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:25 am
Just Joined

shaunew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: cambridge

Hello,

I am new to forum, but have spent most of my life in Cambridge, Ontario. Cambridge has a population of about 120,000. It is part of the tri-cities which include Kitchener, Waterloo or K-W and Guelph.

The 401 runs along side Cambridge which gives easy access to Toronto and London and other areas. The main road in Cambridge is Hwy 24. This is the commercial district. At one section near the 401 is the Wal-mart power center. Hwy 24 then runs through Cambridge on your way to Brantford.

The economy is doing okay, but in 2008 the city lost many manufacturing jobs. The notable companies in Cambridge are ComDev and Toyota.

I am living in South Korea right now, but if you have any specific questions about Cambridge I will be more than happy to answer them.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:01 am
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool Re: cambridge

Originally Posted by shaunew
Hello,

I am new to forum, but have spent most of my life in Cambridge, Ontario. Cambridge has a population of about 120,000. It is part of the tri-cities which include Kitchener, Waterloo or K-W and Guelph.

The 401 runs along side Cambridge which gives easy access to Toronto and London and other areas. The main road in Cambridge is Hwy 24. This is the commercial district. At one section near the 401 is the Wal-mart power center. Hwy 24 then runs through Cambridge on your way to Brantford.

The economy is doing okay, but in 2008 the city lost many manufacturing jobs. The notable companies in Cambridge are ComDev and Toyota.

I am living in South Korea right now, but if you have any specific questions about Cambridge I will be more than happy to answer them.
hi shaunew thanks for that . Just wondering what its like to live there . Are there any any places to avoid , is it good for shopping , eating out , and do they have a dog park. Thanks for your help
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:19 am
Just Joined

shaunew is an unknown quantity at this point

Cambridge was once three smaller towns. They joined together in the 70's, so there are 3 separate smaller downtowns. Galt being the biggest and then Preston. The areas to avoid at night time are the downtowns. www.moosewinooskis.com is a great place to eat for some good old Canadiana. I think there is a dog park in Galt, if not there are some in Kitchener and Waterloo. Cambridge is very blue collar, for good shopping and dining you will need to head down the 401 to Toronto.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 12:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There's a dog park in an industrial estate on Maple Grove Road:

http://www.ontariodogparks.com/cambridge.php

I'd say that the situation as regards fenced dog parks in the area is dire compared with Toronto. I believe that's the only one in Cambridge and there are none in Guelph. The best one is in the Kiwanis Park in Kitchener but it's a long walk, 15-20 minutes from the car park, and is closed in winter anyway. Fortunately, at least in Guelph, there are lots of areas where dogs run unleashed with minimal intervention from the authorities, though most are close to roads.

Last edited by dbd33; Aug 29th 2011 at 12:18 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

I work in Cambridge - there's a reason I live in Milton (30 minutes away).

The infrastructure in Cambridge sucks. I can leave my house in Milton, drive on plowed roads, drive on the clear 401, I turn off in Cambridge and it's completely unplowed and sheet ice. After a few days, getting off the highway becomes a crapshoot about whether or not I (or someone in front of me) will spin out. They do not maintain the roads properly in the winter.

Traffic getting across Cambridge (which is pretty small by UK standards - I'm used to Birmingham) is a nightmare. Several of my colleagues live and work in Cambridge. It takes them longer to drive from their houses to the office (on a fair-weather day) than for me to come in from Milton (35km away).

Cambridge is good for grabbing a lunch - lots of chain-type restaurants etc. around Hespeler road, but if I was going to do any major shopping (clothing, electronics, etc.) I'd generally go to Mississauga on the weekends.

I wouldn't live in Cambridge based on my experiences with it, but that's just my opinion.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

mrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to all

I live in Cambridge. We really like it here. We live in the old Hespeler area; so very close to the 401. Hubby works in Guelph so has a 20 minute commute to work.

We have never had any issues with unploughed roads, to be honest. The only thing I don't like are the public transport links - it was a big problem when we first got here, as we only had one car, but now we both have cars.

We have 2 children; and there is plenty for them to do here and the schools are rated pretty highly too.

Everything is in easy reach; plenty of shopping, plenty of eating places, plenty of conservation area's too.

Guelph, Waterloo and Kitchener are all pretty close; and we often visit at the weekends. We are about 50 minutes from Toronto and about 45 from Niagara - so everything is in easy reach.

Cambridge is made up of 3 smaller towns: Hespeler, Galt and Preston. Hespeler was an old milling town, and there are some really lovely old century buildings here. Galt is lovely too, it has some lovely parks and they are regenerating the downtown area. I don't know a great deal about the Preston area, we don't really head there very much, to be honest. Cambridge is expanding at a rapid rate, lots of new housing etc. It is not for everyone; but if you want a good mix of old and new, green space and convenience, then in my opinion, this is a great place to live.

Let me know if you want any more information, I’m happy to help.