Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling Toronto... I need Branston Pickle

Calling Toronto... I need Branston Pickle

Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Frozenrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calling Toronto... I need Branston Pickle

okay fellow Toronto Residents I am in desperate need, no, DIRE need of Branston Pickle - I just finished the three jars I brought back with me at christmas and I cannot live without it... there must be somewhere to buy it here.... DOES ANYONE KNOW? if anyone can help on this quest I will make you a toastie...
thanks!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:35 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling Toronto... I need Branston Pickle

Originally Posted by Frozenrose
okay fellow Toronto Residents I am in desperate need, no, DIRE need of Branston Pickle - I just finished the three jars I brought back with me at christmas and I cannot live without it... there must be somewhere to buy it here.... DOES ANYONE KNOW? if anyone can help on this quest I will make you a toastie...
thanks!
Try to get it from Loblaws (I think that's your equivelent of Sobeys) you'll find it in the marinades (near worcestershire sauce etc) a little jar that'll cost a small fortune.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Trouble with the one you can buy in regular grocery stores in Canada is that about a year or so ago they switched from importing one made in Switzerland that was at least close to the original and now sell one made in the USA under license by Smuckers and they have messed up the recipe to the point that it isn't even vegetarian anymore as they put in worcestershire sauce with anchovies in it and a whoel bunch of other crap that isn't supposed to be in Branston pickle. It's quite annoying really as at least the one they used to import wasn't that bad but this Smuckers version sucks so now I have no Branston after I ran out of what I brought back from the UK. Only choice now is to go to one of the extortionate expat food type shops. Haven't seen one in downtown Toronto but there is a pretty good one in Newmarket just north where my in-laws live so I might get some when I am up there at Easter. There's also one in Oakville I think if you have a car.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wizzard
Trouble with the one you can buy in regular grocery stores in Canada is that about a year or so ago they switched from importing one made in Switzerland that was at least close to the original and now sell one made in the USA under license by Smuckers and they have messed up the recipe to the point that it isn't even vegetarian anymore as they put in worcestershire sauce with anchovies in it and a whoel bunch of other crap that isn't supposed to be in Branston pickle. It's quite annoying really as at least the one they used to import wasn't that bad but this Smuckers version sucks so now I have no Branston after I ran out of what I brought back from the UK. Only choice now is to go to one of the extortionate expat food type shops. Haven't seen one in downtown Toronto but there is a pretty good one in Newmarket just north where my in-laws live so I might get some when I am up there at Easter. There's also one in Oakville I think if you have a car.
aaah the pain the pain, the horror the horror.... As a vegematarian that rules out Loblaws version... I spent a good hour tonight searching for ex pat stores in toronto and didnt come up with anything... Dont have a car either so im shit out of luck... Do you think if i got my parents to mail some here it would make it, or do you think it would get eaten by sniffer dogs... I am getting quite desperate. I had mac and cheese tonight and it just wasnt the same. I need about 10 jars to quench my desire... I havent had cravings like this since they discontinued worchestshire sauce crisps....
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My wife bought a jar of Branston Pickle (disgusting stuff by the way) at the British Isles Show (Exhibition Grounds, Toronto) a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, she dropped it in the parking lot as we left and it shattered.

This was of course my fault.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
My wife bought a jar of Branston Pickle (disgusting stuff by the way) at the British Isles Show (Exhibition Grounds, Toronto) a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, she dropped it in the parking lot as we left and it shattered.

This was of course my fault.
Branston pickle is an acquired taste. and dropping it is a sin. the things id give for pickle o branston. I know you can get it here because if I google branston and toronto it gives me a half a dozen pubs that sell it, but that doesnt help me when I want a ton... crikey I sound like a pregnant women!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

indigoagain is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can get to Mississauga, they sell it in the little expat shop, "A Bit of Home" -Burnamthorpe and Mavis Rds. Costs a bit more than you paid at Tescos or Sainsburys though...
Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Try the shop under the market near Rube's flour. Other than that there's the chain, the Nutty Chocolatier, there's one on Queen, south side, just past Lee.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

The Lees is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks!
We regularly buy Branston Pickle from Dominion in Oakville. It's only a small jar but it's the real stuff. My daughter just can't do without cheese and pickle sarnies!

Last edited by The Lees; Mar 25th 2007 at 1:47 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:17 pm
Banned

j4cksparrow will become famous soon enoughj4cksparrow will become famous soon enough

Do you gherkins as well?
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by j4cksparrow
Do you gherkins as well?
eeeer no. I do wish i had pickled onions though... and monster munch.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

MesserMoony is on a distinguished road

Here's the website someone mentioned before http://www.abitofhome.ca
It has the monster munch on there as well
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

eeeer no. I do wish i had pickled onions though... and monster munch.

Loblaws has pickled onions.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

welshmaid is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Calling Toronto... I need Branston Pickle

thanks!
No Brantston Pickle, thats it I am cancelling my visit. You cant have a cheese sarnie without it, that is terriable. Oh well just another thing to add onto my shopping list. And good news is they now do it in squeezey bottles, so no broken glass jars..

Frozenrose I am coming to Brantford in May, if you still cant find any I will be more then happy to bring you some.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshmaid
No Brantston Pickle, thats it I am cancelling my visit. You cant have a cheese sarnie without it, that is terriable.
When you try the cheese here, the Branston will be the least of your problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.