Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling prospective employers from the UK

Calling prospective employers from the UK

Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:22 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calling prospective employers from the UK

Hi Everyone,

So far I have been contacting employers via connections on Linkedin and emailing. But as yet I have not called any employers and I understand that Canadian employers much prefer a face to face chat or telephone call rather than electronic communication. I have therefore set up a calling package with Skype to start reaching out and making calls.

I suppose what I would like to hear is how people have faired calling employers when based back in the UK and how they have gone about it?

For example if I was to call the main number for an employer would they pass me on to the right person or would I need to do seom reserch and find out who the right person is to speak to?

Once I have spoken to someone could I send my resume straight over and what is the timescale to follow up on the intial call and resume?

What I am trying to get at is the correct etiquette for contacting Canadian employers and then following everything up with said potential employers?

Thanks for your time

Mike
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Aatjjj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calling prospective employers from the UK

In our experienceits hard!
Try the personelle department of big firms/ companys may be a first step, build up a rappor there, my hubbys in construction and we just surfed the net for the big ones and applied online, a few had international vacancies on there, i also googled his job type and canada etc and followed a lot of links.

Sometimes if we saw a big one through an agent we look on that website direct to, it cant help to check things like linked in for connections etc.

Agency or headhunters can also be useful, send them your cv so that if that job comes up they will already have you in mind.

Unfortunatly apparently its not what you know its who you know.....it took us ages to get hubby a job offer, and in the end came out of the blue while we was on holiday someone contacting him!

We must have emailed and sent of 1000 of cvs at first and no one ever replies to email in Canada"!

good luck ! x
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Hi Everyone,

So far I have been contacting employers via connections on Linkedin and emailing. But as yet I have not called any employers and I understand that Canadian employers much prefer a face to face chat or telephone call rather than electronic communication. I have therefore set up a calling package with Skype to start reaching out and making calls.

I suppose what I would like to hear is how people have faired calling employers when based back in the UK and how they have gone about it?

For example if I was to call the main number for an employer would they pass me on to the right person or would I need to do seom reserch and find out who the right person is to speak to?

Once I have spoken to someone could I send my resume straight over and what is the timescale to follow up on the intial call and resume?

What I am trying to get at is the correct etiquette for contacting Canadian employers and then following everything up with said potential employers?

Thanks for your time

Mike
Depends on the company, how scarce your skills are, how badly they might want you, how busy the hirer is, if they had their coffee yet. You won't know until you try, but chances are slim. If you already have PR your chances are better, but even then not spectacular. You need boots on the ground to have the best chance and even then they don't contact you if they are not interested.
Many, ourselves included will tell you to send in a resume and they'll be in touch if they are interested.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:27 pm

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Depends on the company, how scarce your skills are, how badly they might want you, how busy the hirer is, if they had their coffee yet. You won't know until you try, but chances are slim. If you already have PR your chances are better, but even then not spectacular. You need boots on the ground to have the best chance and even then they don't contact you if they are not interested.
Many, ourselves included will tell you to send in a resume and they'll be in touch if they are interested.
Thanks Aviator, I will be over for a trip in March and had hoped I could get my résumé over and arrange a few chats with prospective employers for the trip in March.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:32 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Aviator, I will be over for a trip in March and had hoped I could get my résumé over and arrange a few chats with prospective employers for the trip in March.
Then your best approach might be to find out the name of the person who does the hiring and send them a resume and cover letter by regular mail. Sending by mail or fax as E-mails get filtered out too much these days and are easily discarded. A hard copy letter may get more chance of being read, and will stand out more as fewer people do it. Include in your cover letter that you are coming out, with dates and ask for a meeting. Follow up with a phone call a couple of weeks before your trip.
Good Luck.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator
Then your best approach might be to find out the name of the person who does the hiring and send them a resume and cover letter by regular mail. Sending by mail or fax as E-mails get filtered out too much these days and are easily discarded. A hard copy letter may get more chance of being read, and will stand out more as fewer people do it. Include in your cover letter that you are coming out, with dates and ask for a meeting. Follow up with a phone call a couple of weeks before your trip.
Good Luck.
Thanks aviator, I had considered sending hard copies in the mail and then wondered if Canada post would get my résumé and cover letter out there before March
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I know we've chatted about this off the board but anyone else reading could also gain some knowledge of how my husband went about it.

He researched companies similar to the one he worked for in the UK and sent them his resume over email. Luckily his got picked up and the IT recruiter mailed him back. Then they had a couple of interviews over skype. We were coming out a couple of months later so they arranged to meet. Hey presto - 2 formal interviews later he had the offer.

My friend who used to live in the UK also had a friend who owned an IT company and he had 2 interviews there but didn't get offered a job. So that was a definite who you know not what you know.

Good luck
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:33 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Much better to find out the people who make hiring decisions and target them.

Many people are generous with what they have to give. If you ask people to help you find out about your industry in Canada and the working environment you can expect they will be happy to help. Because they can.

Most of the these people will not be in the position to offer you a job. So don't ask them to. No one wants to be asked for something they are not able to give. If they suspect that you are going to ask for a job many will avoid a meeting altogether. Although these meetings are informal and are not a job interview, of course they are, you just have to find a way to get across your competence and experience without making your new confidant uncomfortable.

Asking if they know anyone who is currently hiring is OK if you leave that until the end of your first meeting. The Holy Grail you are looking for is to find out who is hiring so you can approach them by saying, "I was talking to Fed Bloggs to ABC Corp yesterday and he suggested I should call you because he thought I would be ideal for your ........... position."
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Much better to find out the people who make hiring decisions and target them.

Many people are generous with what they have to give. If you ask people to help you find out about your industry in Canada and the working environment you can expect they will be happy to help. Because they can.

Most of the these people will not be in the position to offer you a job. So don't ask them to. No one wants to be asked for something they are not able to give. If they suspect that you are going to ask for a job many will avoid a meeting altogether. Although these meetings are informal and are not a job interview, of course they are, you just have to find a way to get across your competence and experience without making your new confidant uncomfortable.

Asking if they know anyone who is currently hiring is OK if you leave that until the end of your first meeting. The Holy Grail you are looking for is to find out who is hiring so you can approach them by saying, "I was talking to Fed Bloggs to ABC Corp yesterday and he suggested I should call you because he thought I would be ideal for your ........... position."
Good point re asking for a job. My husband asked to meet the IT recruiter for coffee when we went over and it went from there. Offer of a coffee is always good. The CTO just happened to be in Starbucks the second time my husband was in there.... I think the whole of the first interview was in Starbucks actually Very different way of doing things.

Something else maybe worth noting. We sat in a coffee shop for over an hour (we were early) right in the heart of the city where the offices are and we only saw one man in a full suit and tie apart from my husband. A lot wear a shirt with no tie and a lot just wear trousers and jumpers. Your call on what to wear!
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

An interesting and timely thread.

Thanks to all who have responded.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Good point re asking for a job. My husband asked to meet the IT recruiter for coffee when we went over and it went from there. Offer of a coffee is always good. The CTO just happened to be in Starbucks the second time my husband was in there.... I think the whole of the first interview was in Starbucks actually Very different way of doing things.

Something else maybe worth noting. We sat in a coffee shop for over an hour (we were early) right in the heart of the city where the offices are and we only saw one man in a full suit and tie apart from my husband. A lot wear a shirt with no tie and a lot just wear trousers and jumpers. Your call on what to wear!
I will be taking my suit on my March visit, I think a suit shows the right image
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:50 pm

I will be taking my suit on my March visit, I think a suit shows the right image
Make sure it is appropriate for the industry. Other than my work uniform, I only ever wore a suit once in the last 20 years! Canadians don't wear suits as much as Europeans do.

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 21st 2013 at 8:52 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just bring plenty of shirts. Mine brought 2 and he had 4 days of interviews.... was only expecting 2. So the kind lady at the hotel washed them for him!
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Just bring plenty of shirts. Mine brought 2 and he had 4 days of interviews.... was only expecting 2. So the kind lady at the hotel washed them for him!

I'm not sure my sister will be washing my shirts lol
Old Jan 21st 2013, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Violets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant future

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your time

Mike
Hi, I am probably not adding anything new but I found out the numbers for establishments/work places, similar to mine and phoned (cold call) their HR/personnel (from the UK). I was put in contact with a couple of people and explained my plans/immigration/exploratory visit and dates I would be there and asked if anyone would be able to meet with me for an informal chat. It took a few calls but was put in contact with the person they all thought it best to speak with and she arranged for me to meet with her and another person. It was just an informal chat about the similarities/differences in the organizations/work role (my work place and theirs) and they explained the application process. It may or may not lead to work, however, they were really nice, very informative and really helpful even though its necessary for me to have at least PR before even considering applying for the work I want.

Another establishment I contacted (again by finding a number and cold calling) told me the address to visit when I got there, which I did. While waiting to see someone, I chatted with a guy working in a different position which I would also be interested in doing (different job to the one I do). He told me the way to go about applying and gave me the address of his HR, their number and explained the hiring process, work and hours. So, when I was finished chatting to someone about the job I do, I then went to the HR building of this other job and they gave me further information, a card and the website of where they advertise work (again PR needed).

I stayed at a couple of B&B's and was totally amazed at how many people tried to find me work 'contacts' in order to try and help me get work. It really is amazing how much people want to try and help if they possibly can, once you start chatting. A couple of people also came up with some good ideas of similar type work which I probably would not have considered.

None of this guarantees a job but it demonstrated to me the importance of just having a go, phoning numbers and chatting to people. While there it seemed equally important to chat with people in various work roles and where you are staying. You get the information/contacts you need and this then ripples out making you further contacts. I have no idea if this is at all helpful (or just a long ramble ) but it was just my experience. Good luck with finding some companies and getting some informal interviews or better set up. I hope it all goes really well for you .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.