Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling All future fellow-Montrealers - Opinions and Experiences appreciated!

Calling All future fellow-Montrealers - Opinions and Experiences appreciated!

Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Calling All future fellow-Montrealers - Opinions and Experiences appreciated!

Hi all,

Looks like I will be in Montreal in the next few months via a Intracompany Transfer, Woo Hoo!

First and only time there was back in March to deliver some training for my company. Was literally thrown off my feet by the nipple-aching -15 degree temperature , but also taken aback by the amazing people and fantastic nightlife etc. Suffice to say I fell in love at first sight!

I thought I'd start a thread inviting all Montrealers (or indeed 'Quebecers') to share their first moments arriving in this wonderfully liberal city. A few things are worrying me, for example my lack of French skills, how many of you went with the same level I have? Did yours improve quickly? And what about the climate? Did you cope with commuting in the winter?

If I can get loadsa feedback on this thread it will help me stand on my own two feet and appreciate what I need to prepare for etc.

Many thanks in advance

Bonsoir!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of
Default Re: Calling All future fellow-Montrealers - Opinions and Experiences appreciated!

I'm afraid I am in a similar position We arrive in Montreal on the 7th August although we have never set foot in Canada yet, never mind Montreal

Can't say I am looking forward to the drop in temperature much but can't WAIT for the first big snow!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling All future fellow-Montrealers - Opinions and Experiences appreciated!

Originally Posted by HurricaneHayles
I'm afraid I am in a similar position We arrive in Montreal on the 7th August although we have never set foot in Canada yet, never mind Montreal

Can't say I am looking forward to the drop in temperature much but can't WAIT for the first big snow!
More importantly...will your nipples ache, as per the OP.

All kidding aside, snow is removed quite well and quickly in Montreal, there is a vast underground city, skiing nearby and loads of skating rinks etc....embrace the cold or else you could end up like some the grumbling people on this site.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
More importantly...will your nipples ache, as per the OP.

All kidding aside, snow is removed quite well and quickly in Montreal, there is a vast underground city, skiing nearby and loads of skating rinks etc....embrace the cold or else you could end up like some the grumbling people on this site.
I have no idea - maybe they will I shall let you know when I get there and experience the cold!!

I love snow Sure my attitudes will change when confronted with a few months of the stuff though!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

So what persuaded you to move there without even visiting the place? Was it a decision that had to be made quickly or something?
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petepete99
So what persuaded you to move there without even visiting the place? Was it a decision that had to be made quickly or something?
My partner was offered a new job with a lot more opportunities than he could hope for here. Canada has always been on our list as such (we nearly ended up in Vancouver in similar circumstances) and now we have friends in Montreal and this job offer, there was no persuasion needed really
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:15 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

-15 isn't particularly cold by Montreal standards. You do get used to the cold, though.

I often go through Montreal but rarely venture into the centre. As it happens, I was there yesterday, for a meeting. I had some time to kill afterwards while waiting for my train. I wandered around a bit and was struck by how much English was being spoken. Most people I heard in conversation were talking in English. In the station bar, the staff were using English as the main language. The barmaid, I discovered, is from Toronto and speaks very little French.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

My partner was offered a new job with a lot more opportunities than he could hope for here. Canada has always been on our list as such (we nearly ended up in Vancouver in similar circumstances) and now we have friends in Montreal and this job offer, there was no persuasion needed really
Well it was just as quick a decision with me. I'm lucky enough to work for a multi-national, and the Canadian entity want me over there. My boss over here told me that and asked if I'd want to think about it over the weekend before he speaks to the Montreal office. I said Hell No, MAKE THE CALL! There's no two ways about it, Montreal is great and to be in a lucky situation where I can move over almost immediately is too good to be true!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:08 pm
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

Looks like I will be in Montreal in the next few months via a Intracompany Transfer, Woo Hoo!

First and only time there was back in March to deliver some training for my company. Was literally thrown off my feet by the nipple-aching -15 degree temperature , but also taken aback by the amazing people and fantastic nightlife etc. Suffice to say I fell in love at first sight!

I thought I'd start a thread inviting all Montrealers (or indeed 'Quebecers') to share their first moments arriving in this wonderfully liberal city. A few things are worrying me, for example my lack of French skills, how many of you went with the same level I have? Did yours improve quickly? And what about the climate? Did you cope with commuting in the winter?

If I can get loadsa feedback on this thread it will help me stand on my own two feet and appreciate what I need to prepare for etc.

Many thanks in advance

Bonsoir!
Moved here back in November '08. Working mostly between Montreal and USA. Winter was a real shocker - but fantastic if you love it. French is not essential, but very helpful. French classes are a hoot! The French Canadian culture is amazing - you have to make some efforts, but overall the best "Canadians" in Canada (that I've experienced so far . . .). The women are gorgeous - hope you are single .

*If you hunt - the surrounding areas and access to NA are out of this world.

Last edited by immichaelcaine; Jun 17th 2009 at 5:13 pm. Reason: deleted line error
Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by immichaelcaine
The women are gorgeous - hope you are single .
I am single! Hadn't even thought about the "talent" in Montreal. You've got me thinking about that now! Tell me do they really like the English accent as much as they say?
Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:48 pm
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

I'll just say that there are Canadian accents, and then there are "other" accents. The "other" accents are seeds for the birds mate.
Attached Thumbnails Calling All future fellow-Montrealers - Opinions and Experiences appreciated!-nn.jpg  
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

ExcitedBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Mind you, the ever first time I heard about something called the 'Language Police' was here in Montreal.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

johnehsmith will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance

Bonsoir!
Good luck.

You'll be fine. I've been here 4 years now and love it. Dont worry about not speaking French, its not a problem especially if you stay downtown.

Winter is a long way off and its only REALLY cold for maybe 2 -3 weeks a year, the rest of the winter is easy, especially compared to Alberta or Manitoba standards where it gets much much colder.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everybody for your thoughts.

I fly into Montreal this Friday for a week, will be seeing my prospective employer but (more importantly?) am also doing the Jazz festival!!! Can't wait!