Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling all Edmontonians!!!

Calling all Edmontonians!!!

Old Dec 29th 2006, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Elli and Paul has a spectacular aura aboutElli and Paul has a spectacular aura aboutElli and Paul has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Calling all Edmontonians!!!

Hi Danielle

It will be a while before we're back on line as we're without our goods for about 25 days so when computer is up and running then 'well be back'

As for teaching, well I've been offered some part time maths tutoring and also teaching in my daughters school next September when both my two will be going. It's nice to have the offers but initially I want to help settle the kids and ourselves as I have plenty of time to work.
We're not off until 27th so will be on here for a wee while yet

Elli
Old Dec 29th 2006, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudge and Pid
Hi Linda,

The response from the site is fantastic! What problems are you having buying a property?? As i want to buy asap when we get there? Congrats on selling yours though as it's no return now!!!

Danielle xx
To be honest I'm beginning to think we must be too picky!!!! I didn't think we were, we just want a decent sized house with good sized bedrooms and a big kitchen...by Canadian standards I thought that would be easy. We did find one, but it sold the next day!!!!

It may be made more difficult as we have been renting here and the children are settled and in a very good school, so we were hoping to stay in this area.
The house prices in this area have gone up 45% in the last year :scared:

We have been looking at Sherwood Park that too is lovely and I'm sure we would be happy there! decisions, decisions!!!!!

We moved from yorkshire....Leeds for 6 years then Brayton , Selby.
Where are you guys?

Linda
Old Dec 29th 2006, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elli and Paul
Hi Danielle

It will be a while before we're back on line as we're without our goods for about 25 days so when computer is up and running then 'well be back'

As for teaching, well I've been offered some part time maths tutoring and also teaching in my daughters school next September when both my two will be going. It's nice to have the offers but initially I want to help settle the kids and ourselves as I have plenty of time to work.
We're not off until 27th so will be on here for a wee while yet

Elli
Good luck with the move.....see you soon!!!!!

Linda
Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

ClareEdm is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Danielle

yes coming back to England has made me think its not that great here lol
its true when you're away its easy to idealise things or think "this or thats better there" but in reality its not, its just different and what you're used to

so i think what made me homesick was the unfamiliarity and feeling slightly isolated but mostly i think not having friends and family just around the corner is what did it the most. i had that 'not belonging' feeling that you may or may not experience yourself but apparently after a few months in,its probably normal to have a sense of "withdrawals" or culture shock.
the key is probably keeping yourself very busy

hope the move go's well for you

Clare
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Smudge and Pid is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Calling all Edmontonians!!!

Originally Posted by Linda P
To be honest I'm beginning to think we must be too picky!!!! I didn't think we were, we just want a decent sized house with good sized bedrooms and a big kitchen...by Canadian standards I thought that would be easy. We did find one, but it sold the next day!!!!

It may be made more difficult as we have been renting here and the children are settled and in a very good school, so we were hoping to stay in this area.
The house prices in this area have gone up 45% in the last year :scared:

We have been looking at Sherwood Park that too is lovely and I'm sure we would be happy there! decisions, decisions!!!!!

We moved from yorkshire....Leeds for 6 years then Brayton , Selby.
Where are you guys?

Linda

How strange is that? I run William H Browns in Selby!!! If you sold with us and had fantastic service let me know if you sold with us and didn't, tell everyone it was Reeds Rains!!!! LOL! We live in Doncaster, Born and Bred.

I've noticed the prices going up dramatically also, when we initially applied for EPS last November after going to Sanddown we looked on the net and were extremely excited about the house prices, watching them rise over the last year has made us realise that we can now only really afford something similar to what we have in England unless we get a huge mortgage which is one of the reasons we were moving in the first instance! The good thing is House prices in England will rise by about 7% this year then start to decline in order to service the FTB's but prices in Emdonton are set to continue rising like they did here, so i think in the next couple of years they will rise by another 50% so win win all round.
My only concern is the difference in prices in properties you find on MLS and don't want to be caught out paying over the odds for something! Do they have an offer system over there or is the price you see pretty much the price you pay??

Thanks

Danielle xx
Old Dec 30th 2006, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Smudge and Pid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ClareEdm
HI Danielle

yes coming back to England has made me think its not that great here lol
its true when you're away its easy to idealise things or think "this or thats better there" but in reality its not, its just different and what you're used to

so i think what made me homesick was the unfamiliarity and feeling slightly isolated but mostly i think not having friends and family just around the corner is what did it the most. i had that 'not belonging' feeling that you may or may not experience yourself but apparently after a few months in,its probably normal to have a sense of "withdrawals" or culture shock.
the key is probably keeping yourself very busy

hope the move go's well for you

Clare
It's good to hear that! I think the biggest thing for me is like you say things being different, I'm Doncaster born and bred and have ALL my family within a few hundred yards, i can do Asda with my eyes closed and know practically 50% of the population!! They're the things i'll miss! But i think West Edmonton Mall will have a hand in keeping me busy!

Speak Soon,

Danielle xx
Old Dec 30th 2006, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Elli and Paul has a spectacular aura aboutElli and Paul has a spectacular aura aboutElli and Paul has a spectacular aura about

Hi Danielle

We bought a property in St Albert in November and after an offer and then a counter offer from the seller we managed to get it a little under the asking price so it is possible. Our relator was great as well and very honest on what he thought about the prices of the houses we looked at.
I start EPS in Feb but I also know someone starting in Aug so if other half want to PM am happy to discuss anything or let him have the email for the other officer

All the best
Paul
Old Dec 31st 2006, 2:53 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Smudge and Pid
Thanks Debbie,

How have you found the nightlife?? Thanks for the info on areas will have a look, i can't believe how organised everyone else is compared to us we're wandering around aimlessly wondering what's next!! What's been you're best experience so far??

Danielle xx
Not best placed to comment on nightlife.........we have 2 small children, and no parents on tap to babysit anymore, so don't get out THAT much. Sh Pk has a fair few bars and an Irish pub which I have heard is good. Loads of nice places to eat. For a lively night out, Whyte Ave in Edm is the place to go I hear.

As for best experiences so far, there are sooooo many, but highlights for me have been,

Our trips to the Rockies. We have seen them in all seasons now and can't get enough of it.
Seeing my 6 yr old on cross country ski's.
Settling in to our home and discovering all that Sh Pk has to offer.

In general, just exploring new things and new places and enjoying all the things that have opened up to us.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 8:45 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

just a quick hello, i know clare has dropped you a line. let me know if you want a chat, re the aug course, have some info but not much. cheers rae.