Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary to Vancouver Island Road Trip - Suggestions please.

Calgary to Vancouver Island Road Trip - Suggestions please.

Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:01 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary to Vancouver Island Road Trip - Suggestions please.

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Harbour House It ain't cheap though
That's the one
Cheers me dear
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:05 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MrsDV;7789586]
Originally Posted by bananahammock
How about a hike along the Wild Pacific Trail? http://www.longbeachmaps.com/wildtrail.html

That looks beautiful! I'll be turning 40 while I'm there so will need some beautiful scenery for a distraction and I can't wait to see the ocean again!

Thanks

MrsDV
Well Happy Birthday in advance ... If you're missing the ocean you are gonna love Tofino
youth!
As for the wineries http://www.winesofcanada.com/bc_island.html you can even get Scrumpy at some of these ~ that takes me back to my youth!

Last edited by bananahammock; Jul 27th 2009 at 8:14 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

TomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond repute

Is it recommended to pre book camping places then?

My Oh and I are driving from Montreal to kelowna in a couple of weeks but havnt booked anything. Planning to find places along the way?

Stop in lake louise for a day and do one of the hikes around the back of the lake and look at the chateau. you could also go up to the ski hill and ride on the chair lifts to try and spot bears.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 3:32 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDV
Chilliwack (1 night)
There are touristy things for the kids to do around Cultus Lake (waterslides and so on). Plus there are some lakeside beaches and hikes into the surrounding hills.

More spectacular is Chilliwack Lake. There is a park at the head of the lake and a forest service road along most of its length. You have to walk the last mile or two. You are getting into real wilderness here. Don't forget the Deep Woods Off.

A few miles up the valley from Chilliwack is Bridal Falls. Again there are some touristy things for the kids to do and a pleasant stroll up to the falls. Across the freeway is Minter Gardens. Worth a visit if you are into walking around formal gardens.

Also, if you have time, Harrison Hot Springs is not too far away. It is a pleasant little town though the hot spring itself is nothing special, but there are wonderful mountain and lake views, and some spectacular sand castles.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 4:12 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to contradict anyones comments, but this is merely my own view and experiences.

Chilliwack - Avoid places like Cultus Lake in the summer on weekends, way too many people. Lindell Beach, further round is a nicer part of the park, there is also Tea Pot hill, a walk that offers spectacular views of the lake.

Harrison Hot Springs is OK, again crowds and not a lot to see other then a very big lake. What does make it worthwhile is staying at the Harrison Resort, they have a wonderful buffet dinner in the Lakeside restaurant, $22 all you can eat. The hotel also hot spring pools. The East Wing is the best bit to stay in, with lake view.

Chilliwack Lake - It is OK, but a 48km drive up a gravel road

Chilliwack Airport - Sightseeing flights over the valley

Minter Gardens, if you like gardens, not like the garden in the UK though, but still a pleasant stroll.

Blue Heron nature reserve

If I had to choose, I would do the following:
a sightseeing flight in the morning, and lunch at the airport cafe (great pie) and a trip to Lindell beach and hike Tea Pot hill in the afternoon (20 mins out of Chilliwack, South).

Then go up to Harrison Hot Springs Resort for the evening and dinner at the Lakeside restaurant (20 mins out of Chilliwack, North).

On your way out of Chilliwack on the #1 you might consider Bridal Veil falls, it is all but a 30-40 minute stop to see the falls. More of a rest area than a destination.

Last edited by Aviator; Jul 28th 2009 at 4:15 am.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, it's all starting to come together now.

TomHoney, regarding booking campsites; I think it might be worth looking at booking in the more popular touristy areas. I did my booking back in late May, at that point all the BC Parks campsites in the Okanagan that were bookable were fully booked for the dates I was looking for, ditto for the area around Pemberton. There are camp sites which are let on a first come first serve basis but in some popular areas these fill up very quickly (particularly at weekends) e.g two weekends ago we wanted to camp in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park (Kananaskis), we needed 3 sites so I went up there at 11:30 am - the first three campgrounds I went to were already full, there was only one ground which had three sites available (a walk in, not drive in) and by 2pm that was also full. (We did have a lovely time though!)

MrsDV
Old Jul 30th 2009, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Just so that you know I don't totally ignore any advice given (tempting though it is sometimes!):

I have just cancelled the camp site in Lillooet having booked one near Whistler instead. Now I'm excited about my trip again.

Thanks again

MrsDV