Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary top tips

Calgary top tips

Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

chinook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calgary top tips

I have been here nearly 4 months now, still adjusting and getting settled in.

I wonder if we could start a thread on top tips after the chaos of arrival.

Ones I was given and so far seem to serve me well were.

Join the AMA.
Get an annual Banff Parks pass, again from the AMA.
Sign up to the Aeroplan scheme and start collecting points, especially on your reccie trips and flight over.
Try out all the supermarkets and join their rewards schemes.
Check out all the notice boards in your community for things to do etc.
Read the local papers to explore the many things that are going on in the city.

Can anybody add to my list?
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary top tips

The farmer's market.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:28 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chinook
Join the AMA.
Get an annual Banff Parks pass, again from the AMA.
I think I'm right .... just wanted to point out that the annual Parks pass mentioned above is not just for Banff, but for 27 participating national parks.

The AMA gives about $10 off to its members, but you can get it elsewhere.

Another tip, which surprised us when we came, was that mail is delivered to mailboxes (in many communities) which are not on your property, but maybe half a block away .... no more opening birthday cards in your PJ's!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Nov 30th 2008 at 9:30 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

Originally Posted by Morwenna

Another tip, which surprised us when we came, was that mail is delivered to mailboxes (in many communities) which are not on your property, but maybe half a block away .... no more opening birthday cards in your PJ's!
You're not allowed to go to the mail box in your PJ's???

I do, my neighbours must think i'm mad
Old Dec 1st 2008, 12:58 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Get the Heritage Park seasons pass
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar
Get the Heritage Park seasons pass
We were just about to add "Go to Heritage Park" to this thread but you essentially beat us to it! Fabulous place.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Season passes in general are very good value - for most attractions the cost of an annual pass seems to be about the cost of 2 -3 visits - if you have kids it's really worth it for the zoo and Butterfield Acres.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

send out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MrsDV
Season passes in general are very good value - for most attractions the cost of an annual pass seems to be about the cost of 2 -3 visits - if you have kids it's really worth it for the zoo and Butterfield Acres.
1) Get Calgary Recreation account. calgary.ca I think the website is. This is so you can join many courses/activites supplied by city of calgary (i.e. swimming/dance classes/adult courses/LOADS OF CHILDRENS ACITIVIES) at a real discount price You can even book golf online! Otherwise YMCA has gym, swimming pool etc for reasonable prices.

2) Take advantage of free ice-skating facilities. (the children don't know they've been born!!!)

3) Co-op do good offers on Calaway Park season tickets. (amusement park)

4) Find your nearest Canadian Superstore...the special deals on electrical goods are BRILLIANT! Household goods are much cheaper too. We buy our meat and fish in bulk there with great savings. (Coupons, coupons...it's all about coupons!)

5) Telus World of Science Museum (children will spend hours enjoying themselves in there)

6) Coupons/Special deals that you get in the post. It may seem as junk mail, but I got my breadmaker and food processor for almost half price on special and got some good bargains in IKEA!

7) Stores with good special offers - Zellers, Canadian Tire, Co-op, Safeway, Shoppers Drug Mart, London Drugs. (good previous advice re store reward cards you can save lots with these). Don't be fooled by names of shops as all of these do electrical household goods at excellent prices (when on special)

Can you tell that YES, I have young 'uns and like to shop!!!

By the way I live in Downtown Calgary, so don't know much about any other areas of Calgary, but I'm sure some of these can be relevant to most areas.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

send out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rwin
The farmer's market.
Yup, Calgary Farmers Market ROCKS!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:19 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dawnzocalgary
You're not allowed to go to the mail box in your PJ's???

I do, my neighbours must think i'm mad
Well of course you can ..... but you might not want to below a certain temperature
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by send out the calgary
Yup, Calgary Farmers Market ROCKS!
Hopefully they find a new home before they have to be out in 2010. I've heard rumors that one potential location is the Stampede. That would be a great location.

Speaking of which - The Calgary Stampede (to add another answer to the thread title)
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rwin
Hopefully they find a new home before they have to be out in 2010. I've heard rumors that one potential location is the Stampede. That would be a great location.
The Stampede grounds were eliminated a while ago.

They apparently would have to close the market during Stampede not a practical idea.

I am also not entirely sure the shoppers would pay $11 for parking to attend the market.

Last edited by Steve_P; Dec 1st 2008 at 4:37 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:51 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

There's another good farmers market plus flea market plus antiques market in the SE near Blackfoot Trail called Crossroads Market. www.crossroadsmarket.ca
Old Dec 1st 2008, 4:07 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
There's another good farmers market plus flea market plus antiques market in the SE near Blackfoot Trail called Crossroads Market. www.crossroadsmarket.ca
Looks interesting, never been to that one
Old Dec 1st 2008, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_P
The Stampede grounds were eliminated a while ago.

They apparently would have to close the market during Stampede not a practicle idea.

I am also not entirely sure the shoppers would pay $11 for parking to attend the market.
Thats too bad. I was hoping for that one. Do you know what other locations they're looking at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.