Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary - SE living Information request

Wikiposts

Calgary - SE living Information request

Old Jul 1st 2014, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

MovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Calgary - SE living Information request

Originally Posted by Maple_Sassenach
I'm new to boards but thought I'd share my 2 cents on rentals as I have just been helping a colleague find a rental property in SE Calgary and they have 2 kids and a dog. You're looking around $1,800-$2,100 for two bedrooms in a townhouse/condo, plus a little extra for utilities. Yes, rental vacancies are low but it's not impossible. I found them a place in one month.
You're going be asked to sign a 1yr lease. Being a former landlord yourself you understand all of the dynamics and possibly gives you edge when it comes to being 'interviewed'.
Best tip, if you find somewhere, go for a viewing as fast as possible and bring all of the information you'll need to fill out the application on the spot.
Don't agree to rent anything you haven't seen in person, there are a number of online scams going on in Calgary right now.

Best of luck to you!
Thanks I was budgeting for $2500 per month for a 3 bedroom house, going to book a furnished for short term let for a month in the next couple of weeks and then hopefully give us the time to secure something but there does not appear to be much out there tbh.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Maple_Sassenach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calgary - SE living Information request

Originally Posted by MovALot
Thanks I was budgeting for $2500 per month for a 3 bedroom house, going to book a furnished for short term let for a month in the next couple of weeks and then hopefully give us the time to secure something but there does not appear to be much out there tbh.
There are a number of pet friendly houses available in the SE within your budget, all are in good neighbourhoods. Here's a link for you, if you haven't already searched this website:
Houses For Rent | Calgary - RentFaster.ca

Hopefully that link works, let me know if not.
When I say good neighbourhoods I mean places I'd consider to live myself. Crime can and does happen in any neighbourhood regardless, but more than just a "feel" of a neighbourhood, there are some with a statistically higher propensity to violent crime than others. For example, the PLC hospital ER in the NE has a higher acuity of victims of violence than the SE hospitals. Though some SE communities have some issues also, there were none listed in that link.
At the end of the day it all boils down to personal preference and you'll hear different personal opinions. If you find a place and want to ask members opinions on the neighbourhood I'm sure you'll get good advice at the pros and cons of the area.