Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary for non-drivers

Wikiposts

Calgary for non-drivers

Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:59 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary for non-drivers

Originally Posted by AncientMariner
Is Sobeys a usual grocery store/super market?
Empire co. aka Foodland, Price Chopper. Personally I find them to be more expensive than Loblaws (aka Canadian Superstore, etc.)

Most of the shops in the McKenzie Towne area are on 130 Ave. SE, which is a fair walk when it's really cold.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i live in Mackenzie towne well New Brighton..just saying
Hi Cheeky_monkey, just wondered if you ever fancied meeting up. We are in Auburn Bay
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose getting from one place to another in downtown would be much easier, more choice of shopping, at the expense of hearing sirens, loud traffic and the usual weekend riff raff.
Btw where do downtowners shop for groceries?
I'm not sure you'd hear any more sirens or weekend riff raff downtown then a lot of other neighbourhoods. It tends to clear out at 5pm so the nights would be relatively quiet (compared to living along Macleod Trail or other busy routes).

There isn't too much for grocery shopping in the core but a short train ride across the river gets you to Kensington where there is a Safeway (right beside the train station). Just south of downtown in the Beltline area is another Safeway and a Co-op. I have heard there is another supermarket going in at the other end of the beltline near Macleod Tr. and 10th (Sunterra I think).
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 10:23 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
I'm not sure you'd hear any more sirens or weekend riff raff downtown then a lot of other neighbourhoods. It tends to clear out at 5pm so the nights would be relatively quiet (compared to living along Macleod Trail or other busy routes).

(Sunterra I think).
Yes Calgary downtown is a ghost town in the evenings. Everyone's back in their suburban palaces.

OP, if you go out to the prairies, get your drivers licence sorted or you will be on here in several months time complaining that there's nothing to do or no one invites you over. In Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and you say Ottawa, you can manage without a car, just as you can in Europe, but it's not like that everywhere.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

If you ever decide to get your license in Alberta, the app in my signature will help you
Old Nov 24th 2012, 6:49 am
Just Joined

AncientMariner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
If you ever decide to get your license in Alberta, the app in my signature will help you
Thanks Samba. I would be doing that asap. In Ontario, once you get a learners licence, you have to pass a min of 8 months before you can take a road test. I have already spent 6 months of wait period. Do you know if its the same in Alberta and if I can my Ontario learners transferred over to an Alberta one?
Old Nov 24th 2012, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shard
In Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and you say Ottawa, you can manage without a car, just as you can in Europe, but it's not like that everywhere.
True. Ottawa has a very good public transport system and there is an entire rapid transit system of freeways solely for buses.

Guess 302 BRT would do it for now till I get a driving licence and get on the road.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:47 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beautiful050278
Hi Cheeky_monkey, just wondered if you ever fancied meeting up. We are in Auburn Bay
If you are blonde 5' 10 single and under 30 im sure we could sort something out
Old Nov 26th 2012, 6:54 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
I have a work colleague who doesn't own a car. She says she can get around the city fine for commuting to work. Its more of a pain evenings and weekends when the buses thin out somewhat and some destinations are served by quite long, circuitous routes. Nevertheless she does manage it, but she says it can be quite time consuming!
let me guess, she lives alone has a lot of cats
therefore spending heaps of time dicking about on buses and hanging out at bus stops, is a welcome espcape from the daily routine

transit system is a joke, outside of rush hour

try going for a night out and getting the bus home (in winter)
Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:58 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
let me guess, she lives alone has a lot of cats
therefore spending heaps of time dicking about on buses and hanging out at bus stops, is a welcome espcape from the daily routine

transit system is a joke, outside of rush hour

try going for a night out and getting the bus home (in winter)
Nope - partner and young kid so it can be a bit of a bind trying to get to stuff when the whole family has to go off peak!
Old Nov 26th 2012, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

i live in Mackenzie towne well New Brighton..just saying
Cheeky Monkey, Have you seen any ppl waiting at Mckenzie towne bus terminal in the morning? Is it a covered bus stop? Guess I dont want to be the only one standing there frozen stiff.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 12:26 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Cheeky Monkey, Have you seen any ppl waiting at Mckenzie towne bus terminal in the morning? Is it a covered bus stop? Guess I dont want to be the only one standing there frozen stiff.
i drive, i dont stand around in the cold with the local scum bags...you must think im crazy..having said that there is a kind of a park and ride in Mckenzie with covered stops.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

i drive, i dont stand around in the cold with the local scum bags...you must think im crazy..having said that there is a kind of a park and ride in Mckenzie with covered stops.
I take public transport to work each day. Am I a local scum bag?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 1:29 am
Every day's a school day

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I take public transport to work each day. Am I a local scum bag?
i dont know about local?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

i dont know about local?
Thank you. Please explain what it is about those that take public transport that makes them scum bags, local or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.