Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

calgary homeless

calgary homeless

Old Feb 20th 2007, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

lee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nice
Default calgary homeless

when i was out last week in calgary, i did notice theres alot of homeless poeple? mind you they were polite cost me a few quid to get around downtown ! and found calgary shuts down on sundays.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 4:44 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: calgary homeless

Originally Posted by lee58uk
when i was out last week in calgary, i did notice theres alot of homeless poeple? mind you they were polite cost me a few quid to get around downtown ! and found calgary shuts down on sundays.
Lee,
If you mean the downtown Core yeah it pretty much shuts on a sunday (and saturday) However theres PLENTY of people out in the Malls\sports arenas\parks\riversides\'villages'.
You just went the wrong way (blame the lack of roundabouts eh)
Old Feb 20th 2007, 5:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
If you mean the downtown Core yeah it pretty much shuts on a sunday (and saturday) However theres PLENTY of people out in the Malls......
Is it hell ? Is it Calgary ? Is it Dayton ? Can one tell ?
Old Feb 20th 2007, 5:12 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is it hell ? Is it Calgary ? Is it Dayton ? Can one tell ?
What/where is this mythical Dayton place you speak of ?

And nice too see you back in the cyber-hood dbd.

Rich.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 5:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
What/where is this mythical Dayton place you speak of ?
It's one of those nowhere places where the downtown has been abandoned and everyone lives in ghastly suburbs with ludicrous names like Provence or Aspen Glade. That one's in Ohio but it could be anywhere.

And nice too see you back in the cyber-hood dbd.
Thank you. Country life has mellowed me.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 5:18 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

It's one of those nowhere places where the downtown has been abandoned and everyone lives in ghastly suburbs with ludicrous names like Provence or Aspen Glade. That one's in Ohio but it could be anywhere.
Ah - the exurbs 'exurbia'

Rich.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 5:27 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lee58uk
The homeless, another thing we can in part say thank you to former Premier Klein for his cutbacks in the early nineties.

The downtown may not have been as abandoned as first appeared, perhaps they were all indoors at the mall and Devonian Gardens.

Seriously though downtown is pretty quiet on weekends, as Butch said they all out in the Malls\sports arenas\parks\riversides\'villages'

Cheers
Steve
Old Feb 20th 2007, 5:36 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Steve_P
The homeless, another thing we can in part say thank you to former Premier Klein for his cutbacks in the early nineties.
But....the streets of Calgary Town are paved with gold

Anyways I thought the word was they'd all been shipped to BC courtesy of complimentary one way-Greyhound tix.

Or did they all return after Gordon Campbell took control

Rich.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 5:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Steve_P

The downtown may not have been as abandoned as first appeared, perhaps they were all indoors at the mall and Devonian Gardens.

Seriously though downtown is pretty quiet on weekends, as Butch said they all out in the Malls\sports arenas\parks\riversides\'villages'

Cheers
Steve
What's a "'village'" ?
Old Feb 20th 2007, 5:55 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

What's a "'village'" ?
In NY, Manchester or London I guess it would be a gay community.
Here in Calgary due to the fact the 'community' is further underground its the arty\boho parts of town, Kensington.....Mission\4th street SW......Inglewood.....
Old Feb 20th 2007, 5:57 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

What's a "'village'" ?
In the Calgary context, a village is a neighbourhood with a cluster of restaurants, cafes and shops that are not all national chains.

Close-in "village" type neighbourhoods include Kensington, Inglewood, Uptown 17th Avenue and Marda Loop.

Although most of the downtown core shuts down on weekends, Chinatown, in the northeast corner of downtown, positively hums with activity on weekends.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
In NY, Manchester or London I guess it would be a gay community.

Here too.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:09 pm

But....the streets of Calgary Town are paved with gold
Urban myth number one.

Anyways I thought the word was they'd all been shipped to BC courtesy of complimentary one way-Greyhound tix.
Urban myth number two. A large percentage of these are the mentally challenged homeless.

Or did they all return after Gordon Campbell took control

Rich.
See urban myth number two, they never left in the first place. Now in addition we large numbers of working homeless.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:15 pm
Lotus-eater

Ah, clarity.

Now in addition we large numbers of working homeless.
Interesting. Our homeless supposedly peaks at 400 peeps in high summer but they are almost exclusively transients. Do we get some of your lot

The number of working homeless in Kelowna would be low IMHO. That figure of 400 is a large number for our city size BTW, I wondered how it compares to Calgary ? And I imagine as real estate continues to rise, the problem will continue to get worse.

Rich.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:26 pm

Ah, clarity.

Interesting. Our homeless supposedly peaks at 400 peeps in high summer but they are almost exclusively transients. Do we get some of your lot

The number of working homeless in Kelowna would be low IMHO. That figure of 400 is a large number for our city size BTW, I wondered how it compares to Calgary ? And I imagine as real estate continues to rise, the problem will continue to get worse.

Rich.
Can't say whether you get any of "our lot" as you put it.

Perhaps the answer might be in here which is a 93 page PDF document on the 2006 Calgary Homeless Count.

A couple of brief quotes from said document.

"The 2006 Count of Homeless Persons was conducted on 2006 May 10. A total
of 3,436 homeless persons were enumerated.

A total of 145 homeless families were enumerated on the night of the count
(families are defined as a couple, a couple with one or more children, or a lone adult
with one or more children)."

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.