Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary grocery price comparison for June.

Calgary grocery price comparison for June.

Old Jun 15th 2007, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary grocery price comparison for June.

Originally Posted by rabrol
Wow! I have totally the opposite feeling about Costco...must depend on what you buy. I did a direct comparison between similar meat products in Costco & Superstore, and this is what I discovered. (prices per kilo). I didn't compare things like cereal, milk etc.

Item Costco Superstore
Chicken Breast Fillets, 12.98 10.98
Thighs without bone 8.29 8.99
Pork Chops (with bone) 8.29 7.23
Chicken Drumsticks 3.99 3.92

When it comes to electronics, Costcos prices are usually beaten hands down by other retailers. I checked prices of computers, TVs and cordless phones. When they do have a good deal though, it seems to be very good. Their book prices are usually excellent as well.

But based on what I buy I prefer Superstore, and Sobeys seems to be quite reasonable too. I buy all my burgers from Sobeys (69c each in packs of 6 - freshly made in store that day) and they have some good deals on bread.

Rob
Meat was the one thing I didnt even look at because I buy that elswhere. I wouldn't touch Superstore meat with a barge pole anyway.

The cereals and other packaged stuff is WAY cheaper for sure. We even found the electronics to be very competitive, even compared with staff discounts at a major big box store. The choice is somewhat limited at Costco, though. I imagine to this weeks 'job lot'.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 5:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
Meat was the one thing I didnt even look at because I buy that elswhere. I wouldn't touch Superstore meat with a barge pole anyway.

The cereals and other packaged stuff is WAY cheaper for sure. We even found the electronics to be very competitive, even compared with staff discounts at a major big box store. The choice is somewhat limited at Costco, though. I imagine to this weeks 'job lot'.
We buy lamb at Costco. It's very good.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Which stores DON'T pack your shopping for you ??? I want to pack my own stuff - and not have to bring home 18 plastic bags which only contained three items each ?? What a waste !
Old Jun 15th 2007, 8:55 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smelly
I always used to shop online in the UK but its doesnt seem to be available here .
You can shop online with these guys.

http://www.picndel.com/cust.fl?rqst=...77116135350303

It's a division of Calgary Co-op so they most likely will be more expensive than Stupidstore oops sorry Superstore.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jun 15th 2007, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by ann m
Which stores DON'T pack your shopping for you ??? I want to pack my own stuff - and not have to bring home 18 plastic bags which only contained three items each ?? What a waste !
Superstore doesn't pack for you.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
We buy lamb at Costco. It's very good.
We also buy our lamb at Costco and I agree it is very good.

Most if not all of their beef is AAA grade and any we have tried has been excellent.

Unfortunately I don't get red meat very often anymore.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
There's a reason for only three items per bag here - anymore and the bags fall apart...lol

Like Steve said - pretty much the only place that doesn't pack for you, is "The Real Canadian Superstore" Even Costco re-loads the cart for you (no bags), but they're TERRIBLE! Sling it in the cart anyol' how :curse:
Old Jun 16th 2007, 3:31 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

The only one I never go into anymore is the co-op (I'm not ready to join "the blue rinse brigade" just yet...lol).
This scares me.

I shop at a Co-op and actually use a blue rince... though it's for my youthful blonde hair... to keep it from going brassy
... according to my hairdressor.

Honestly ... Midtown Co-op = Yuppy-Guppy cool... as food shopping allows...
Old Jun 16th 2007, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas

You obviously haven't shopped at the Brentwood, Dalhousie or Crowfoot Co-ops.

Old folks abound.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
This scares me.

I shop at a Co-op and actually use a blue rince... though it's for my youthful blonde hair... to keep it from going brassy
... according to my hairdressor.

LOL Peas. So long as you don't actually have "blue" hair, yer ok

I will try your Co-op next time I'm near it; just to see for meself

But on the subject of hair....does this mean you are not a natural blonde then? Come to think of it, I thought you were far too itelligent to be so. My daughter, who was a natural blonde died her hair brunette. We teased her and called her "Artificially intelligent" She's blonde again now....
Old Jun 16th 2007, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Just switched to Costco - Well worth the membership fee! I think ours paid for itself on the first shop! I couldn't believe the savings on some things - a good 50% less than any supermarket! Wish I'd done it years ago when the kids were younger - been meaning to for ages.

I shop all over the place and have switched back and forth between stores over the years. The quality of fresh produce seemed to vary and I would switch accordingly. When it drops off, I know it's time to check out the others again. The only one I never go into anymore is the co-op (I'm not ready to join "the blue rinse brigade" just yet...lol). I tried Sobey's a while ago (used to be IGA), and found it to be the nicest of all for produce, but pricey for other stuff. My fave would have to be Sunterra. It smells wonderful in there. But as it's not the most convenient, I don't go there often.

Must say those prices are awfully high,I shop Costco here ,But not for everything,I can get 18 Yoplait Yogurts for$7.99,Grapes at Walmart were a $1.99 a pound here we just have to shop around.Since we have had a large influx of people from California our prices have steadily increased.So between Costco Walmart and discount groceries thats how we shop.
Cheers from North Idaho.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hove

Must say those prices are awfully high,I shop Costco here ,But not for everything,I can get 18 Yoplait Yogurts for$7.99,Grapes at Walmart were a $1.99 a pound here we just have to shop around.Since we have had a large influx of people from California our prices have steadily increased.So between Costco Walmart and discount groceries thats how we shop.
Cheers from North Idaho.
I'm confused! I didn't give any prices as such...(except the loaf of bread in Costco).

If you're referring to the links I posted, then those are not relevant, as they are for the service of having your shopping done nd delivered to your door via online ordering, not in store prices. I can get 18 or even 24 yogurts for $8 or less in the right store here, too!
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:38 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I just got back from Safeway (because I loathe Stupid Store and Save-On is manky round here) $370.67 lighter than when I went in. That does not include $70 for fruit and veggies from the local Mennonite green-grocer/deli/baker. Total $447.67 for a family of seven, not a bad week as it goes and I will have to top up on fruit by mid week. Give me Asda any day....

Last edited by dingbat; Jun 17th 2007 at 3:40 am.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
I just got back from Safeway (because I loathe Stupid Store and Save-On is manky round here) $370.67 lighter than when I went in. That does not include $70 for fruit and veggies from the local Mennonite green-grocer/deli/baker. Total $447.67 for a family of seven, not a bad week as it goes and I will have to top up on fruit by mid week. Give me Asda any day....
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:59 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL Peas. So long as you don't actually have "blue" hair, yer ok

I will try your Co-op next time I'm near it; just to see for meself

But on the subject of hair....does this mean you are not a natural blonde then?
Oh... a sort of dull dishwater blonde.... but the highlights are more to hide the gray hairs that I apparently have.

I went to a different Co-op today (westhills?) and just about peed myself laughing. Nearly reached for the Depends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.