Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary or Edmonton move

Calgary or Edmonton move

Old Dec 10th 2019, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

frenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calgary or Edmonton move

Hi, we currently live on PEI.... long story short we have been here nearly 2 years and can not wait to escape! We are making plans to move to Calgary in March but after the recent redundancies in the last few weeks we are starting to reconsider our decision. We knew Calgary is a volatile city but we are starting to think Edmonton would be the safer option. Anyone on here living in Calgary or Edmonton who would be able to give us a real account of exactly how bad things are.

Thanks

Old Dec 11th 2019, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary or Edmonton move

Originally Posted by frenchiegirl
Hi, we currently live on PEI.... long story short we have been here nearly 2 years and can not wait to escape! We are making plans to move to Calgary in March but after the recent redundancies in the last few weeks we are starting to reconsider our decision. We knew Calgary is a volatile city but we are starting to think Edmonton would be the safer option. Anyone on here living in Calgary or Edmonton who would be able to give us a real account of exactly how bad things are.

Thanks

What do you mean by "volatile city"? What type of work will you be looking for?
Old Dec 11th 2019, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

frenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond reputefrenchiegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I’m concerned with the huge amount of redundancy that happened last month, 18,000 were lost from the energy sector. Why I’m not in that field it is still alarming. As I’m sure that does cause a ripple effect across the city. We are concerned so that is why I put the question out hoping someone who is currently living in Calgary who is seeing what’s going on first hand would be able to give a clearer understanding!
Old Dec 11th 2019, 3:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frenchiegirl

Thanks

Presumably you had done the necessary research regarding housing and employment before applying under the Atlantic Pilot Project? Do be careful that your move won't be interpreted as misrepresentation - if you are moving soon after gaining PR through the Atlantic Provinces Pilot. You say that you have lived there nearly 2 years - how long have you had PR? (not being contentious, it's a genuine concern as the Provinces can challenge and withdraw their support).
Old Dec 11th 2019, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Oh yeah totally understand where you’re coming from. We’ve held our PR for just over a year. We did ask an immigration lawyer regarding this as that’s the last thing we need. They confirmed so long as you stay within the province for a year from PR. Yes done research before apply under AIPP. Between the two locations where jobs were offered PEI was the better option than Woodstock NB in terms of housing and employment.

Last edited by frenchiegirl; Dec 11th 2019 at 3:55 pm. Reason: Change wording
Old Dec 11th 2019, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Dandares is an unknown quantity at this point

As with anywhere I would say that demand and networking (and a bit of luck) are the drivers for finding a job in the Calgary area.
I am now 6 months out of work after being let go due to a restructure and find that even getting a response from an application is difficult, a large number of people going after too few jobs have made recruiters able to ignore all but "perfect" candidates.
I have years of senior level people and process management experience but within a very restricted field and find recruiters unwilling to look at me for less senior roles or not inclined to take a risk on someone not proven in their industry.

Good luck but the Alberta job market is tough unless you have a really in demand skill.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of the problem is young men with lower skill sets finding employment. 20% unemployment in this demographic. CBC reported on it today.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 10:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/unemploym...nton-1.4677038
Old Dec 11th 2019, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dandares
As with anywhere I would say that demand and networking (and a bit of luck) are the drivers for finding a job in the Calgary area.
I am now 6 months out of work after being let go due to a restructure and find that even getting a response from an application is difficult, a large number of people going after too few jobs have made recruiters able to ignore all but "perfect" candidates.
I have years of senior level people and process management experience but within a very restricted field and find recruiters unwilling to look at me for less senior roles or not inclined to take a risk on someone not proven in their industry.

Good luck but the Alberta job market is tough unless you have a really in demand skill.
Thank you for your honest description and I’m so sorry to hear that you are going through that. It is certainly a lot to think about.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by neill
A lot of the problem is young men with lower skill sets finding employment. 20% unemployment in this demographic. CBC reported on it today.
Oh yeah I read this today also, it’s not good.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 1:59 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary used to be the place to be in Alberta..its been on a bit of downward spiral since just after i left in early 2014..i have been back in Edmonton since Dec 2016 and things here are pretty flat not as bad as Calgary though..dont see any uptick in the next 2-3 years.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Calgary used to be the place to be in Alberta..its been on a bit of downward spiral since just after i left in early 2014..i have been back in Edmonton since Dec 2016 and things here are pretty flat not as bad as Calgary though..dont see any uptick in the next 2-3 years.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Dec 14th 2019, 7:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey

With information like that I would reconsider moving across country to a situation where there may be no work, no income.. better the devil you know than the one you don't - and the potential for not being able to secure employment may be reason enough to defer any move until there's an upturn.

There is cheaper housing to be had in the Atlantic Provinces with a bit of searching, and potentially other work (even if there aren't a lot of jobs in the area they are living in now) - perhaps the OP should consider holding on for another year or two... until their is an indication of an upturn coming..

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 14th 2019 at 7:04 pm.