Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary or Edmonton?

Calgary or Edmonton?

Old Oct 27th 2004, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: Calgary or Edmonton?

Originally Posted by Linda P
... Michael has just (today) had a job offer in Edmonton. Do we take it and explore there, (we could always move on if it was not what we wanted!) or do we hold out for Calgary...
Yes -- take the job. No question.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 10:46 pm
Glaswegian

Hi, like you we are finding it difficult to choose between the two places! Michael has just (today) had a job offer in Edmonton. Do we take it and explore there, (we could always move on if it was not what we wanted!) or do we hold out for Calgary.
I'd go for the job ... both cities have nice areas to live in and apart from mid-winter or mid-summer there isn't that much difference in the weather ... eight months without greenery is eight months without greenery no matter where you are in Alberta ... most of your quality of life comes from having enough money to do fun stuff ... if you have a certain offer, go where the job is.

I'd say the same to anyone else ... go where you can get a job

Old Oct 28th 2004, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Hi, like you we are finding it difficult to choose between the two places! Michael has just (today) had a job offer in Edmonton. Do we take it and explore there, (we could always move on if it was not what we wanted!) or do we hold out for Calgary.

P.S. This is fantastic site !!!! what a sounding board!

LindaP
If the job is right for michael, take the job. once there your doing the do, building credit, canadian experience etc etc. then if edmonton is not you keep an eye on calgary, find a job and move.
that's my penny
Old Oct 28th 2004, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owen
If the job is right for michael, take the job. once there your doing the do, building credit, canadian experience etc etc. then if edmonton is not you keep an eye on calgary, find a job and move.
that's my penny
Thanks guys, I think we'll be starting the ball rolling, scary stuff ! and what have we to loose, we can always move on. Any it will all look the same covered in lovely snow.

Just a question to you all, Michael has to give 3 months notice, how do we tie this in with applying for the permit! I know it should come through but???

Also what did you all do with your cars just before you moved, sell and higher for a couple of weeks? Daft as it sounds but these questions are already going through our minds.

God we are now very excited, bunnies!!!!!!!!!

LindaP :scared:
Old Oct 28th 2004, 9:15 pm
Glaswegian

Just a question to you all, Michael has to give 3 months notice, how do we tie this in with applying for the permit! I know it should come through but???
You either wait and give notice once the permit arrived;
give notice and hope the permit arrives;
or check out your disciplinary brochure and see what gets your instantly dismissed - Mr G for example can be instantly dismissed for asking someone else what they earn - therefore asking his boss should in theory result in instant dismissal!

Mrs G

Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:33 am
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
You either wait and give notice once the permit arrived;
give notice and hope the permit arrives;
or check out your disciplinary brochure and see what gets your instantly dismissed - Mr G for example can be instantly dismissed for asking someone else what they earn - therefore asking his boss should in theory result in instant dismissal!

Mrs G
Tried to post this last night, but a power cut intervened

Having been in a job with a 3 month notice period, and consulted a solicitor about leaving it early, this is waht I learned:

It is impossible to enforce the 3 months by law. What can be done is you can be sued for break of contract, i.e. for the cost of replacing you. If you do give some notice, i.e. 1 month, there chnaqces of sucessfully suing you are small. Basically it costs the same to replace you after 3 months as it does after 1.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz_F will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Neetie

That's interesting - we're visiting both cities and my husband has an interview with the Edmonton Police, so if we are incredibly lucky and he gets through, then the choice will already have been made.

Neetie

Hi,

Could you please let me know how your husband went on with the Edmonton Police?
Law enforcement is one very viable option open to me for employment in Canada, but each province appears to heve it's own rules and regulations regarding recruitment of immigrants.

Thanks.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

P.S. This is fantastic site !!!! what a sounding board!

LindaP
Hi Linda, if you've got a job offer then surely you must go for it, and then maybe move on if not appropriate.
Jo
Old Oct 30th 2004, 5:31 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Gaz&Paula
Hi,

Could you please let me know how your husband went on with the Edmonton Police?
Law enforcement is one very viable option open to me for employment in Canada, but each province appears to heve it's own rules and regulations regarding recruitment of immigrants.

Thanks.
Each city has its own rules ...

Old Oct 30th 2004, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Each city has its own rules ...

HMMM!!!!
Scratches head in bewilderment.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 5:54 pm
Glaswegian

HMMM!!!!
Scratches head in bewilderment.
Canadian cities are much more autonomous that UK cities ... probably from the days before automobiles and long distance calls were cheap.

Calgary Police have an experienced office recruitment program:
http://www.calgarypolice.ca/recruiti...ed_officer.htm

Recruitment requires you to be a citizen or PR:
http://www.calgarypolice.ca/recruiti.../standards.htm

Old Oct 30th 2004, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian cities are much more autonomous that UK cities ... probably from the days before automobiles and long distance calls were cheap.

Calgary Police have an experienced office recruitment program:
http://www.calgarypolice.ca/recruiti...ed_officer.htm

Recruitment requires you to be a citizen or PR:
http://www.calgarypolice.ca/recruiti.../standards.htm
Thanks for the links. I've had quite a time finding some of this information. (Could be my server)
I know that Toronto law enforcement, should I go for them, are willing to accept an application and allow me to take the aptitude whilst my residential applocation is being processed. I'm unsure of others.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 6:07 pm
Glaswegian

Thanks for the links. I've had quite a time finding some of this information. (Could be my server)
I know that Toronto law enforcement, should I go for them, are willing to accept an application and allow me to take the aptitude whilst my residential applocation is being processed. I'm unsure of others.
PM'd you.

Old Oct 30th 2004, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

I know the Ontario Provincial Police accepts Permanent Residents as employees.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Bozlyone is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations on the Edmonton job offer.

We moved over to from Edinburgh to work in Edmonton 5 months ago on a work permit. The permit came in a 10 days from what I rememberm I found this amazing.

We love the Edmonton area, we have bought a house just outside Edmonton in St Albert, check it out. You will not regret it.

If you have any specific questions about the move please do not hesitate to get in touch as I know how there are so many questions that go through your mind. What I will say is that the move we did went far better than we could ever expected. We sold all our belongings (and the kids toys) before we came over, had great flights with Zoom airlines, excellent service and the family have settled in really well.

We hired a minivan for the first month which was quite expensive, about $2000 but you may be able to get it cheaper.

Please let me know if we can help at all.

You will not regret moving to Edmonton

Cheers

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.