Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary and Crime

Calgary and Crime

Old Aug 30th 2006, 4:30 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calgary and Crime

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
- eventually hoping to buy in the Canyon Meadows/Parkland areas - prices look to be going down a bit now......
Sorry to disappoint but that's just not true. Price increases may have slowed but there is no indication of prices coming down.

Today's Calgary Herald article.

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 30th 2006, 4:48 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
Sorry to disappoint but that's just not true. Price increases may have slowed but there is no indication of prices coming down.

Today's Calgary Herald article.

Cheers
Steve
Much as it pains me to agree with BQ if you take june-july there was a fall in average house price so august is merely taking us back to june levels also sales to listings are on the decrease (at least june-july again).

I'm trying to find the link I had on the weekend!!!!!
Old Aug 30th 2006, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Much as it pains me to agree with BQ if you take june-july there was a fall in average house price so august is merely taking us back to june levels also sales to listings are on the decrease (at least june-july again).

I'm trying to find the link I had on the weekend!!!!!
Which just goes to prove you can make numbers says virtually anything.

If I remember correctly the number of homes on MLS.ca in Dalhousie in June and July never seemed to get above 4 there are currently 14. That would lead me to believe that sales have definitely slowed and it is not inconceivable that prices may have lowered in the short term. However I think August is traditionally a slow month.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 7:05 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Which just goes to prove you can make numbers says virtually anything.

If I remember correctly the number of homes on MLS.ca in Dalhousie in June and July never seemed to get above 4 there are currently 14. That would lead me to believe that sales have definitely slowed and it is not inconceivable that prices may have lowered in the short term. However I think August is traditionally a slow month.
thanks for the feedback folks - i was only going on the listings on mls.ca, where i noticed several 'price reduced' tags on places around the 400mark

as usual the local ministry of mis-information out there have there own opinions and are ever keen to speculate (am not talking about board members)family & friends in-situ

i get the impression violent crime is more targeted than the gratuitous variety so often seen over here, ie is happy-slapping en vogue in Cowtown
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Beaverquest

i get the impression violent crime is more targeted than the gratuitous variety so often seen over here, ie is happy-slapping en vogue in Cowtown
To the best of my knowledge "happy-slapping" hasn't reached Calgary. I've not heard of any instances of this repugnant phenomenon in Canada yet and hope it stays on the other side of the Atlantic.

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

To the best of my knowledge "happy-slapping" hasn't reached Calgary. I've not heard of any instances of this repugnant phenomenon in Canada yet and hope it stays on the other side of the Atlantic.

Cheers
Steve
What is 'happy-slapping' please?
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
It's generally used in the context of teenagers assaulting others and then "videoing" (is that a word ?) it with their mobile phones - not pleasant
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:47 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope

It was a big thing earlier this year in UK where kids/youths who sneak up behind their victims, mostly on buses, and slap them very hard across the face while their mates filmed it on their mobiles.

A mate of mine said he watched a group walk up to a bloke in East London recently and the youngest, about 14, attempted to slap the guy. Unfortunately for them he saw them coming and proceeded to kick the living shyte out of the kid. A hardy har har.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the explanation guys. I'm glad to say this revolting phenomenon has passed me.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
It was a big thing earlier this year in UK where kids/youths who sneak up behind their victims, mostly on buses, and slap them very hard across the face while their mates filmed it on their mobiles.

A mate of mine said he watched a group walk up to a bloke in East London recently and the youngest, about 14, attempted to slap the guy. Unfortunately for them he saw them coming and proceeded to kick the living shyte out of the kid. A hardy har har.
LOL
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:59 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
LOL
Not into violent stories at all but that type make you laugh.

I once knew a massive Irish builder called Sel. One night he was coming home and two guys asked him for the time. His hands were full with cans of lager and a curry. He managed to get his sleeve up and told them. One of them said, now give us the watch and your wallet. Sel said, and I quote, If I have to put down this curry I'll ****** kill ya both.

The police arrested HIM for assault!