Calgary

Old Nov 5th 2010, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

saraho1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calgary

Although still gonna have to do a recci to be 100% sure we have decided that we would like to immigrate to Calgary area.
My husband has a friend who has moved over there and hass been told that he could probably get a job offer at his company.
We have two small children and we are looking to live in a smaller community out of Calgary the city so if anyone lives around there and has any ideas of areas where property isnt overly expensive and people are friendly please let me know, so I can try and fit them in the recci we will do early next year
thanks
sarah
Old Nov 5th 2010, 3:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary

This recent thread might help...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689037
Old Nov 5th 2010, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Calgerham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by saraho1976
Although still gonna have to do a recci to be 100% sure we have decided that we would like to immigrate to Calgary area.
My husband has a friend who has moved over there and hass been told that he could probably get a job offer at his company.
We have two small children and we are looking to live in a smaller community out of Calgary the city so if anyone lives around there and has any ideas of areas where property isnt overly expensive and people are friendly please let me know, so I can try and fit them in the recci we will do early next year
thanks
sarah
Try Airdrie (I lived there for a while) or Okotoks.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
sarah
Hi Sarah,

My first post on here in some time. I think the reccie will help sort a lot of thoughts out in your mind as to what feels right for you and yours. We're in Okotoks. It suits us but then our lives do not revolve around getting into Downtown Calgary for work each day. I think that would get pretty trying whereas getting to a place of work in the southern half of the city would probably be tolerable for most people who are used to commuting 30 to 45 minutes each way. Cochrane is also lovely, in my view. Airdrie has never quite done it for me but really, you have to come and see for yourself. Calgary itself has so many family friendly communities that you might find this suits you perfectly.

Re property cost, like for like, you get a little price advantage being in the satellite towns around Calgary versus being in Calgary itself but it's not a massive difference. Property in Calgary and surrounds, like for like, is less costly than the likes of Vancouver but way more costly than other major conurbations across Canada, so, again, much will depend on what your family is bringing in, income wise, and the funds that you will be able to bring from home (this emigration lark is not cheap).

I'm acutely aware this reads like almost a non answer or a vague answer and that's not my intention but it's hard to be specific without us having more context. When you come across for your reccie, I encourage you to tour the area extensively and try and develop a feel for the place. It's great that you have a contact here as that will help but even then, get out by yourselves and try to form your own judgements. It will serve you well further down the road.

Eamonn.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to live "out" of the city, to live "out of the city." There's loads of communities in Calgary that are very much like Okotoks for example, but are 20 minutes closer to work.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Cochrane's a great town and easy for Commuting.

Poppit
Old Nov 6th 2010, 9:02 am
Just Joined

thanks for the info, I think a reccie is definately needed asap, thinking of coming in the winter so me and OH can get a feel as to how cold it gets.
The idea of maybe living outside the city is we do not want to be in a place where no one knows each other and there is no community spirit.
We lived in Greece for nearly ten years (my husband)longer and there was a very close knit community in a village surroundings to coming back to the UK and living in an area where we occasionally say hi to the neighbours but do not know anyones name and we travel into the next town for my sons school and all activites.
I am a person that can make friends easily in the right situation and my son enjoys performing arts, cub scouts and swimming so I would like to go somewhere where there is an opportunity for him to keep doing those things.
The areas that are in calgary themselves are they on the outskirts or bang next to all the working buildings, shops, towers etc
thanks
sarah
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

kimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sarah
I agree with the guys that have already put some input in.
Although i dont live out there yet...and i am still in scotland...I do have family that live in Calgary. and not long been back from my very first visit out there ( husband has been out there several times before).
I found the community was very welcoming, whether in Calgary or Cochrane...they seem to aim for the community spirit out there, and kids go to clubs (ice hockey a lot of them) so they are never bored either.
I asked myself a couple of questions while i was out there....What is it i am looking for apart from community? what scenery do i want?

If you want rolling hills the west of calgary has them, so Cochrane area is good...if you want flat planes and open spaces then you want the east.
I found the north and east was like Aberdeenshire, the north west was more like the highlands, the south east like oxfordshire and the south west was again like the highlands but lower hills....its all very different...

Only thing i have now its to pass all the paperwork and be accepted!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Good luck with the paperwork
I have to say Cochrane is definately looking like the favorite at the moment but will obviously have to do a full recci first. Anyone any idea what kind of price rent is there for a 3 bed house or even to buy at a later stage.
In the winter when it is really cold what do people do as not everyone can ski im sure?Is there a meet up place or community type hall with activities or does everyone turn into hermits and stay in all the time
Old Nov 6th 2010, 3:43 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say Cochrane is definately looking like the favorite at the moment but will obviously have to do a full recci first. Anyone any idea what kind of price rent is there for a 3 bed house or even to buy at a later stage.
In the winter when it is really cold what do people do as not everyone can ski im sure?Is there a meet up place or community type hall with activities or does everyone turn into hermits and stay in all the time
Again I agree with what many of the other posters have said. Regarding rentals, in our local paper this week (Cochrane) there are 3 bed properties for rent at $1600, $1300 and $1250 per month plus utilities. For properties for sale, check out www.mls.ca - you can view properties for sale all over the country; just put in the area you are interested in.

I'm one of those who doesn't ski although hubbie and daughter do. We go skating on the local pond, walks and hikes, a lot of meeting up with friends etc. There's usually stuff going on in the winter too, whether it be through the schools, clubs or communities. Life just goes on.

I think you mentioned Cubs earlier on. My kids both go to the local Cubs and Beavers respectively; in fact my eldest is away this weekend on Cub Camp so I'm making the most of the peace and quiet!!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

kimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this point

As TheThornes has already said try MLS website for rental but also try KiJiJi web site too.

When we were out there, my cousin went through some sites, the cheapest rental we found that was any good (to us anyway) was $1200 the it went up to around £2000 mark....Cochrane was beautiful, lots of Ex Pats there, although i dont know if the ones i met are on here or not....I picked their brains and they all said they should of done it years ago, but glad they did eventually do it.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 9:25 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by milkmaid
As TheThornes has already said try MLS website for rental but also try KiJiJi web site too.
MLS which is now http://www.realtor.ca/ doesn't seem to cover rentals for the Calgary region.

If you're looking for rentals try some of the links in this post - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...49&postcount=2

Last edited by Steve_P; Nov 6th 2010 at 9:30 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:23 am
Just Joined

CalgaryTyke is just really niceCalgaryTyke is just really niceCalgaryTyke is just really niceCalgaryTyke is just really niceCalgaryTyke is just really niceCalgaryTyke is just really niceCalgaryTyke is just really niceCalgaryTyke is just really nice

I would agree with Cochrane if you want to be "out of it" a bit, but it is a fair commute (40/45 mins in rush-hour without a new dump of snow!). But full of ex-British police, has a small-town feel and has fantastic scenery. Other than that, as others have said, Calgary is full of "communities" - you may want to take a look at Mackenzie town in the SE (which is designed almost like a British village) or Copperfield, also in the SE, or if you want a village feel close to the city, take a look at Kensington (NW). Alternatively, take a look at Arbour Lake or Tuscany in the NW and which have good value modern homes (many with mountain views) and active Community Associations, and both are v. close to the C-Train (transit to down-town) in 20-25 minutes.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 6:31 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

re your queson about what people do in the winter - it doesn't get down to minus 60 you know

Seriously the few days that it is "too" cold to go out - an it is only a few you'll just hang out at home, or go shopping, or skating or any number of things that involve going from house to car to destination and back.

We went Elk hunting last year - temp thingy in the truck said minus 38 then you have the windchill - it was F****G cold. OH and his buddy stayed out all morning - I lasted 10 mins before I went back to the truck and turned on the heat and radio

To everyone who is asking the "oooh it's cold what do we wear / do" my answer would be

Wooly hat, scarf, mitts, vest, tshirt, padded hoody, down jacket, jeans, snow pants, fat socks and wellies rated to around minus 40 should do you, then just go out and do what you would any other day - just wearing more stuff.

Oh and remember to plus your car in at night if it has a block heater, and then start it 10 mins before you go anywhere so its toasty