CAD mortgages

Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice
Default CAD mortgages

What are the general rates and conditions now, for example: a $600,000.00 house with a deposit of $100,000.00, what would the repayments be? (found my dream home but not sure if I can afford it....being too premature I think but one never knows)
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:09 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CAD mortgages

Originally Posted by skyturner
What are the general rates and conditions now, for example: a $600,000.00 house with a deposit of $100,000.00, what would the repayments be? (found my dream home but not sure if I can afford it....being too premature I think but one never knows)
Google "canadian mortgage calculator" and you should find what you are looking for... :0)
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:28 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Always worth negotiating with the lenders. We renewed our 5-year term last year, for another five years, fixed at 5.79%. The lender has, without a whimper, agreed to cut that to 4.5%, with only a small penalty (that I will challenge).
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:34 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Always worth negotiating with the lenders. We renewed our 5-year term last year, for another five years, fixed at 5.79%. The lender has, without a whimper, agreed to cut that to 4.5%, with only a small penalty (that I will challenge).
[Smug mode on] Prime -0.82% = less than 2%. [smug mode off]
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:36 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
How did you wangle that?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:36 pm

How, please? We haven't signed anything yet.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:39 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
How did you wangle that?
Because I took out a variable rate mortgage in 2006 at a discount to prime. (Actually the 0.82% is a composite of an original mortgage and an additional borrowing at two different discount rate). I'm good for a couple of years but could be in for a shock if interest rates skyrocket by then.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Our mortgage is at 1.9%. Rather a contrast with the 18% I paid in the 80s.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:45 pm

Because I took out a variable rate mortgage in 2006 at a discount to prime. (Actually the 0.82% is a composite of an original mortgage and an additional borrowing at two different discount rate). I'm good for a couple of years but could be in for a shock if interest rates skyrocket by then.
OK. I understand. Variable rates are not something would consider. We are trying to draw down our mortgage rather fast and a big upward shift in variable rates would hurt a bit.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:13 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Every bank website has a mortgage calculator and their standard published rates.

4.5% is a rough guide to a fixed mortgage.

What you do need to know is that a fixed mortgage is for a maximum of 5 years at which point it will need to be renewed and at which point you can change provider if you so desire.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:53 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

To give you some idea of payments based on $500,000 with 25 year amortization.

3% $2366 p/m
4% $2630 p/m
4.5% $2767 p/m
5% $2908 p/m

On a $600,000 purchase with $100k down you would be required to buy default insurance of, I believe 1.75% ($8,750) which can be added to the mortgage, increasing the above amounts accordingly.

Any bank lender will calculate for you the amount of mortgage you can obtain. This gives you some comfort when shopping as to how much you can afford, and get a mortgage.

Last edited by Auld Yin; Apr 9th 2009 at 6:56 pm. Reason: More info added
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:38 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin

On a $600,000 purchase with $100k down you would be required to buy default insurance of, I believe 1.75% ($8,750) which can be added to the mortgage, increasing the above amounts accordingly.
This may not be relevant in the case of the OP, but worth noting anyway. Some employers (mine is an example) will guarantee a loan for up to the 20% minimum required to avoid the CMHC premium. I am required to have at least 10%, and the remainder can take the form of a personal loan at prime. Good deal at the moment. Worth checking I suspect if you work for a large company
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
To give you some idea of payments based on $500,000 with 25 year amortization.

3% $2366 p/m
4% $2630 p/m
4.5% $2767 p/m
5% $2908 p/m

Any bank lender will calculate for you the amount of mortgage you can obtain. This gives you some comfort when shopping as to how much you can afford, and get a mortgage.
Thanks mate, thats just what I was looking for
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:14 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks mate, thats just what I was looking for
http://www.canadamortgage.com/

Just click on "Quick Calculator" right side of the box.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:46 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
This may not be relevant in the case of the OP, but worth noting anyway. Some employers (mine is an example) will guarantee a loan for up to the 20% minimum required to avoid the CMHC premium. I am required to have at least 10%, and the remainder can take the form of a personal loan at prime. Good deal at the moment. Worth checking I suspect if you work for a large company
Well you are, I believe, the exception rather than the rule. Having spent 40 years in the banking business I have never encountered such largesse, except, perhaps, for employees very high on the ladder, VP or above. As a matter of fact the corporation that employed me would not knowingly grant a mortgage to someone who had to borrow funds for the down-payment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.