Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bye, bye, Blighty (Article in Brit Paper)

Bye, bye, Blighty (Article in Brit Paper)

Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:36 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Bye, bye, Blighty (Article in Brit Paper)

Just came across this in the Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/ma...1/08/home.html

Scroll down for the info on returning Brits ...
While 191,000 Britons emigrated last year, 105,000 returned to Britain after living abroad. Half of those who retire abroad, according to a study by Age Concern, eventually come back, either for health reasons, financial reasons or simply because they are homesick...

hmmmm

Clare
Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:41 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: Bye, bye, Blighty (Article in Brit Paper)

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Just came across this in the Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/ma...1/08/home.html

While 191,000 Britons emigrated last year, 105,000 returned to Britain after living abroad. Half of those who retire abroad, according to a study by Age Concern, eventually come back, either for health reasons, financial reasons or simply because they are homesick...

hmmmm

Clare
Can I be the first to say bloody typical UK media spin??

Who owns the Telegraph nowadays and when are they getting their knighthood for services to the government?

I can remember when it was a half decent rag that spoke out against Bliar and his cronies ... ah, those were the days

Old Nov 9th 2004, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Can I be the first to say bloody typical UK media spin??

Who owns the Telegraph nowadays and when are they getting their knighthood for services to the government?

I can remember when it was a half decent rag that spoke out against Bliar and his cronies ... ah, those were the days
What they do not say is how many of the 105,000 are returning due to being near death or some serious ailment. My leggo broko - you no speeke English. Bl**dy foreigners. Not a good advert for the Brit abroad. I guess many still have made no effort to speak the native language.

Maybe some are typical of the 60ish+ brigade that lead the way 30 years ago when most of us poor folks never got on a plane. Now they want a bit of CAE with someone who speaks english. Others, younger have simply got there arses bitten off by being a bit nieve - no one does nothing for anyone in the Spanish Costalot and with the local authorities taking back land left right and centre you can see why there is this return. For what its worth I would never live somewhere where I could not understand and converse in their language. Just visiting you can get by. Went to Wales once - north...when we opened our mouths and spoke the whole pub went from speaking English to Welsh and looked at us menacingly. Sad really.

I saw a figure that 92% going to Canada do not come back. I wonder if its true?
Old Nov 9th 2004, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road

I saw a figure that 92% going to Canada do not come back. I wonder if its true?[/QUOTE]

Thats because the elastic doesnt stretch as far as Canada for most peeps

As far as Spain goes..its ok for a visit. I can imagine that people are sickened when loopholes in the law catch them out. I dont think that you can compare Canada to Europe either. Two different animals.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 7:57 pm
Velouria

Originally Posted by ClareBC

hmmmm

Clare
LMAO... love the paragraph from Lucy Lyons and her IT husband... 'In Canada, everyone goes skiing.'

I had better start learning, so i dont dissappoint! </sarcasm>

Old Nov 9th 2004, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

calwich is an unknown quantity at this point

Just read the article. Can`t believe someone will actually pay £20 to get their hair blowdried!...unreal!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Buckrogers is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets hope the masses keep going to spain and no where else.

Have you seen what the "brits" have done in some places over there? "Little England" in places!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

I see the Telegraph is representing the masses then! We are coming back but don't have a home, let alone a £1.25 million pound one!!!!

Not surprised a lot of those going to Spain etc come back. If you can't speak the lingo you're never likely to fully settle in/be accepted by the locals!!!!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buckrogers
Lets hope the masses keep going to spain and no where else.

Have you seen what the "brits" have done in some places over there? "Little England" in places!
I've been a coach driver for nearly ten years and the times I drove to Spain cannot be counted anymore. But right next to Little England you'll find Kleines Deutschland, Petit France, Klein Holland and Little Russia! They're all there!