Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

buying from UK - Import taxes in Canada?

buying from UK - Import taxes in Canada?

Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:02 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default buying from UK - Import taxes in Canada?

I would like to buy some DVD box sets from a UK website and would like them posted directly to back to me in Nova Scotia.

Would I have to pay import taxes?

Does it make any difference if I use a UK credit card or a Canadian one, or would it be best of all to send them to my mum's uk address and have her post them to me?

The total cost of the DVDs are 52 GBP. If I decide to save my mum any hassle and have them posted direct to NS, are import duties based on Nova Scotia HST (14%).

Thanks
Old Nov 13th 2007, 11:45 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying from UK - Import taxes in Canada?

You would pay HST/GST and any applicable duties ..... can't tell you exactly what they would be but probably not much. The kicker is however that the courier co or Canada post will charge you a brokerage/admin fee for performing the neccessary customs clearance. So your 14% of GBP 52 somewhere around $15 could be $50 or more by the time brokerage fees are added.

My sister bought me some DVD's and had them sent to Canada by Amazon UK & it cost me as much in duties/taxes/admin fees as to buy the DVD's myself here pretty much. So, prevailing upon folks back home to take delivery (you order & pay delivery to them), repackage and label as 'gifts' & send to you is the better way.

AX
Old Nov 14th 2007, 2:37 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

For brokers fees the mail is best at $5.00, UPS worst @ $50.00.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 2:49 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Can you not buy them here online? OR can you get a rellie to post them over, mark them as a gift and value as $50. (For that amount I never get stuck with the customs duty).

Of course, they (Canada Post) may open it up and check (which can delay things by 3 weeks airmail when my Vancouver packages get caught up in Toronto.)

We had only been here a few months when my brother, in a fit of uncle generosity, had shipped from America the most stunning train set for my eldest. It cost us $150 in fees and tax. I was blown away by that amount...
Old Nov 14th 2007, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
I would like to buy some DVD box sets from a UK website and would like them posted directly to back to me in Nova Scotia.

Does it make any difference if I use a UK credit card or a Canadian one, or would it be best of all to send them to my mum's uk address and have her post them to me?

The total cost of the DVDs are 52 GBP. If I decide to save my mum any hassle and have them posted direct to NS, are import duties based on Nova Scotia HST (14%).

Thanks

if you are getting them from sendit.com. i have found that they are a bit naughty and mark the DVD's as a gift.....

i havnt paid any taxes on any form them.

but for info, i understand you can broker your own goods. what you need to do is get a detailed invoice, go and pay the GST etc before they arrive and get the sender to mark addresse will broker goods. ill try and find the site telling you the exact way to do this. or try a google search of broker my own goods..

Last edited by Kittykerr; Nov 14th 2007 at 3:50 am.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 5:24 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Higher value packages coming though regular mail are often handled Purolator or handed off to a broker to clear customs, charges can vary considerably. Canada Post do not open items, this is done by customs at the point of entry. Even if marked as gifts, they can still be randomly opened for inspection.

Many of our global shipments are handled & cleared by FedEx where possible. In addition to the shipping rate they charge us $7 for the paperwork plus any duties and applicable taxes.

Goods purchased in the UK for export outside of the EU and shipped directly to an overseas address by the seller should be free of VAT, thereby saving up to 17½%. If visiting the UK and taking goods out of the country travelers may qualify for the VAT Retail Export Scheme.

Duty Calculator

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Nov 14th 2007 at 5:26 am.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:22 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
if you are getting them from sendit.com. i have found that they are a bit naughty and mark the DVD's as a gift.....

i havnt paid any taxes on any form them.

but for info, i understand you can broker your own goods. what you need to do is get a detailed invoice, go and pay the GST etc before they arrive and get the sender to mark addresse will broker goods. ill try and find the site telling you the exact way to do this. or try a google search of broker my own goods..
It is indeed some DVDs from Sendit They are new releases (Morecambe and Wise Christmas Specials and Dad's Army Christmas Specials, plus Series 5 of Spooks). Oh, I and also want Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boardman "The long way down".

None are available over here so I had better get a move on if I am to get my mum to post them over.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:25 am
Home Owner

Driver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud of

have her send invoice/picking/packing note seperate, ........... maybe include a Christmas card in package
Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:56 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat

Thats a neat little calculator. Thanks for the link. Karma sent!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do

Thanks
i buy DVD from amazon.co.uk and amazon.com all the time and as long you keep your order below $20ish your never charged duty, well i havent been anyway.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 4:36 pm
Scottish Canuck

Thanks everyone.

I have organised some friends (you know who you are) to hand carry the 2 Christmas Specials dvds over and in the future I will buy them one at a time to see if that avoids paying any duty.

Great calculator Surrey Expat