Buying suits

Old Sep 1st 2005, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying suits

Thanks for all your advice everyone! Looks like we've got some shopping to do
Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

shell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant future

I've just landed an interview for a company near Halifax, NS, and I asked the agent whether I should wear a suit or smart casual (don't really want to take a suit to save luggage weight, space). She has said that smart casual would be perfectly acceptable. Guess they are a little more laid back in NS, my kind of attitude!

J
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

emma69 has a spectacular aura aboutemma69 has a spectacular aura aboutemma69 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
My husband and I are going on a reccy/vacation in October, spending several days in the Acton/Mississauga area, then a few days in Ottawa, and a couple of touristy days in Niagara.

We've decided that although it's a little early (our original intended relocation date was around August next year), we're going to try to contact and hopefully visit some businesses in the area, dropping off CVs, trying to arrange tours, etc. Because we're flying Canadian Affair, and they are so strict with their weight limits on baggage, we don't want to lug suits and dress shoes over, so would ideally like to purchase suits and shoes over there and leave them at my brother's place for future use.

So...any recommendations where we can find reasonable quality, reasonably priced suits for men and women in the Toronto area? To complicate matters (or at least it complicates things in England), my husband wears a 48 long suit, and I need a petite size (I'm only 5'1").

I know nothing about shopping in Canada, the last time I lived in Canada my mother still bought my clothes!

Thanks,

Katie
Hi

It really depends on what jobs you intend to be doing - I worked for a professional firm in Toronto, and the dress code was suits year round, the only concession in that the guys could remove jackets in the summer. Us girls got a better deal, we could wear trousers or skirts, but a blouse was usual attire, and a jacket kept on the back of the door for meetings if necessary! I didn't do too badly, I was working on one client full time, and was allowed to adhere to their dress code when I was on site, which meant I could wear pretty tops as an alternative to button down blouses. One thing they are quite good at over here is hair nails and make up - I always felt under done with my usual lip gloss and mascara! I used to have fiberglass nails which look fab, but after getting rid I find myself hiding my nails from scrutiny!!! Also in summer a pedicure is a must if you wear summer shoes!

As for where to buy business attire, my standby is the same as it was in the UK - Planet - you can find them in the Bay and they also do a good petite range. The Bay and Sears also have other concessions that Brits are familiar with, such as Windsmore, Ralph Lauren etc. Jacob is not bad for 'business casual'. The one thing I found very difficult to get over here were bras without pre-formed cups (Ok, I know guys, too much information) but under suits they look like you have had cosmetic surgery! So stock up on good old M&S before heading over!

A note about shoes - over the winter I had one pair of shoes. Regardless of outfit I just kept one pair of office shoes in my drawer that I could change into, and lots of natives do the same, because otherwise the salt trashes them. A lot of the guys I worked with had little plastic shoe slipovers which protected their shoes.

Also, I flew Canadian affair, and they really weren't that bothered about my luggage. As with other airlines, I am sure a good sob story would work ( featued stories include 'they are presents for my friends little girl'; 'it can be sooo cold, its just big jumpers so I don't freeze' (with puppy dog eyes) and simply distracting the check in agent while keeping your foot under the suitcase thereby supporting some weight (seen it done by a 'friend'!) At the end of the day, 5 or 6 quid a kilo is cheaper than buying it all again - or you could upgrade and they give you extra luggage allowance (can't remember off the top of my head, but got a feeling it goes up to 30-32kg)

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 6:55 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by shell&jim
I've just landed an interview for a company near Halifax, NS, and I asked the agent whether I should wear a suit or smart casual (don't really want to take a suit to save luggage weight, space). She has said that smart casual would be perfectly acceptable. Guess they are a little more laid back in NS, my kind of attitude!
I've been bitten by several agents and I don't trust any of them!

Best of luck with the interview and please let us all know when you succeed