Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buying a property from the UK

Buying a property from the UK

Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice
Default Buying a property from the UK

Have any of you bought a property in Canada from the UK?

I am considering buying a ski chalet / holiday home but am not sure where to start.

Should I go for a Canadian Mortgage or get a UK one (when I leave the UK, I will be cutting all ties and never returning)?

Am I better off waiting for the exchange rate to improve?

Are the 'Not in Canada' taxes overly prohibitive?

Would any mortgage be based solely on the forecasted return on investment or is other income taken into account? If the ski chalet / holiday home was also going to be my primary residence, would income be taken into account as well as the ROI?

Is it possible to get a mortgage to purchase land and build a house (from outside Canada)?

I would be grateful for any advice, information or warnings

Cheers

Jez
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all
Default Re: Buying a property from the UK

Originally Posted by JezHarper
Have any of you bought a property in Canada from the UK?

I am considering buying a ski chalet / holiday home but am not sure where to start.

Should I go for a Canadian Mortgage or get a UK one (when I leave the UK, I will be cutting all ties and never returning)?

Am I better off waiting for the exchange rate to improve?

Are the 'Not in Canada' taxes overly prohibitive?

Would any mortgage be based solely on the forecasted return on investment or is other income taken into account? If the ski chalet / holiday home was also going to be my primary residence, would income be taken into account as well as the ROI?

Is it possible to get a mortgage to purchase land and build a house (from outside Canada)?

I would be grateful for any advice, information or warnings

Cheers

Jez
Take your next vacation in the area you are interested in, armed with info for one thing from www.mls.ca

As far as I am aware, you need the Canadian Social Insurance Number details before you will get a Canadian based loan of any type.

One can purchase land / property whilst in Canada as a Temporary Resident.
You will be asked if it will be occupied permanently for more then six months of the year, if not then it draws roughly twice the property taxes(like UK Community Charge).

You will need to make sure you have it insured correctly, it is cheap compared to the UK, more likely to burn down or blow down then be vandalised actually.

One can enlist the local realty agent to let it for you in ya absence - they are very much better at their job, then UK Estate Agents - ooops - are you one ?
Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:53 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Hi Jez,
de-cloaking as a realtor
It is perfectly possible to buy in Canada as a non-resident and even without seeing the property. We have helped people do so before - here in Vancouver.

You can get a loan from a financial institution in Canada based on your putting down 35%. I don't believe you would need a SIN before doing so - many non-resident owners would not have one.

You may want to think through what it is you want to achieve by buying somewhere first. For example a number of our clients have hedged against possible property price rises in Canada by buying something that has not yet been built - choosing something with a completion date far enough in the future that they anticipate being there on completion.

This way they pay the deposit up front (and pre-arrange a mortgage for the completion). This is one strategy.

If you are looking for recreational property that you can use yourself and can get some income from when you are not using it, then you do need to get a realtor in Canada that you can trust and some professional advice on the financial viability of such an investment. Consider where visitors from the resort will come from and whether or not it has year round appeal. (And lots of other questions... as in Steve's comments )

I believe it is the research that makes the difference. Buying and even renting out can all be achieved fairly easily - even long distance. Just make sure you know what you want and do enough research to be reasonably certain you can achieve it.

Warmly,

Frank
Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
Take your next vacation in the area you are interested in, armed with info for one thing from www.mls.ca

As far as I am aware, you need the Canadian Social Insurance Number details before you will get a Canadian based loan of any type.

You will be asked if it will be occupied permanently for more then six months of the year, if not then it draws roughly twice the property taxes(like UK Community Charge).

You will need to make sure you have it insured correctly, it is cheap compared to the UK, more likely to burn down or blow down then be vandalised actually.

One can enlist the local realty agent to let it for you in ya absence - they are very much better at their job, then UK Estate Agents - ooops - are you one ?
Old Feb 15th 2006, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

If you re buying in BC don't forget the tax, 1% up to $200,000 and 2% on the amount above that. You have to pay this if you haven't lived in BC for a year. Apparently you can get around paying it if it is your first mortgage (anywhere in the world) and the value of the property you are buying is under a certain amount.

You will also need a full printout of your credit report and your credit rating (a number between 1 and 1000). You need to get this from somewhere like Experian. Plus bank statements from the UK, showing you pay your bills. We were also asked for a reference each from either our last employer or our bank.

Originally Posted by Frank'n Sense
Hi Jez,
de-cloaking as a realtor
It is perfectly possible to buy in Canada as a non-resident and even without seeing the property. We have helped people do so before - here in Vancouver.

You can get a loan from a financial institution in Canada based on your putting down 35%. I don't believe you would need a SIN before doing so - many non-resident owners would not have one.

You may want to think through what it is you want to achieve by buying somewhere first. For example a number of our clients have hedged against possible property price rises in Canada by buying something that has not yet been built - choosing something with a completion date far enough in the future that they anticipate being there on completion.

This way they pay the deposit up front (and pre-arrange a mortgage for the completion). This is one strategy.

If you are looking for recreational property that you can use yourself and can get some income from when you are not using it, then you do need to get a realtor in Canada that you can trust and some professional advice on the financial viability of such an investment. Consider where visitors from the resort will come from and whether or not it has year round appeal. (And lots of other questions... as in Steve's comments )

I believe it is the research that makes the difference. Buying and even renting out can all be achieved fairly easily - even long distance. Just make sure you know what you want and do enough research to be reasonably certain you can achieve it.

Warmly,

Frank
Old Feb 15th 2006, 2:21 am
Banned

steals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant future

dont buy anything without seeing it and thoroughly researching the area you wouldnt do it in the uk would you mls.ca etc are ok for rough price guides but you need to see the houses in the flesh sort of speak
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
If you re buying in BC don't forget the tax, 1% up to $200,000 and 2% on the amount above that. You have to pay this if you haven't lived in BC for a year. Apparently you can get around paying it if it is your first mortgage (anywhere in the world) and the value of the property you are buying is under a certain amount.

You will also need a full printout of your credit report and your credit rating (a number between 1 and 1000). You need to get this from somewhere like Experian. Plus bank statements from the UK, showing you pay your bills. We were also asked for a reference each from either our last employer or our bank.
Much as I love BC and would love to buy a property in Whistler (or even Pemberton or Squamish), I am thinking of AB (Canmore, Kanaskis) or ON (Collingwood, Blue Mountain)
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steals
dont buy anything without seeing it and thoroughly researching the area you wouldnt do it in the uk would you mls.ca etc are ok for rough price guides but you need to see the houses in the flesh sort of speak
Normally I would agree about buying a property without seeing it, unfortunately, one of the areas that we are considering is Blue Mountain which is undergoing large construction which will push prices up. We may have to take the chance and purchase a property without seeing it in the flesh (so to speak).

I know this is a big risk, but I like life on the edge
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0

No, I'm not an estate agent, I'm a software developer.

I had already spoken to a realtor in Pemberton, BC, so I know that I *can* buy a property in Canada and get a Canadian Mortgage without a SIN card or being a resident, but the information about the taxes gives me a very good pointer to research further. Thank you very much.

Cheers

Jez
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Frank'n Sense
Hi Jez,
de-cloaking as a realtor

Warmly,

Frank
Hi Frank,

I am looking for a property to let out throughout the year to give a continued return on investment, rather than purchasing an unbuilt property to buy and sell once it is built (although with all the building going on at Blue Mountain I am going to take a look at what they have got left to see if there is anything that catches my eye )

The two places that I am considering both have year round appeal but I don't know if the market is saturated, I would need to speak to letting agencies or other owners in the area, So I suppose that is my next step.

Do you know a good place to start to find out more about the 'not in Canada' taxation system?

Thanks for your reply

Jez
Old Feb 16th 2006, 2:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JezHarper
Do you know a good place to start to find out more about the 'not in Canada' taxation system?
For federal taxes - http://www.cra.gc.ca

You also need to check if owning a property in Canada could make you Canadian tax resident, plus how UK/Canada double tax agreement works.