Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

buying new build property in Canada

buying new build property in Canada

Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying new build property in Canada

Originally Posted by mikejw
Hi
further to previous replies;
In Nova Scotia 1.5% deed transfer tax applies to propertey sales and vacant lot sales whether $20k 0r 2 mill.
HST rebate and new buyer rebate will usually be incorporated in the final price from a builder. If you require the rebate back, the builder will just put it on the price again!
Hope this helps.
Mike.
Hi,
just checked this info, because we didn't have to pay it when buying. The deed transfer tax varies from county to county in Nova Scotia (between 0% and 1.5%), please see the following list for details:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/property/....46.81.166.172

thanks
woodworm
Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:52 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Where does this gem come from?? I am here on a work permit and have an approved mortgage from HSBC.

What difference does it make. As long as you put down enough deposit most financial institutions couldn't give a toss as to whether or not you can pay the mortgage since they will just sell the house to recoup the costs if you don't.
It all depends on deposit put down, the usual variables of income, employment contract, whether you have a mortage and property in UK still, other personal circumstances as disclosed, etc.

The assessed level of risk will usually be reflected in the interest rate charged by lender, amongst other things.

Rich.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

jcexit will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gabics
Are you sure about it?
I thought it works the same way as it does in the US, where I had 2 mortgages on work visa. I was not resident.
No, I was not. I thought it was worth a recheck and yes, you can! According to my sources non-residents can get mortgages in Ontario and only need a 10% down payment. Obviously conditions apply. I discovered from a few mortgage brokers that this has only been around for a few months and has not been publicised much.