Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buying land and building a house??

Buying land and building a house??

Old Oct 21st 2006, 11:22 am
Just Joined

JulesandRay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying land and building a house??

do the prices change much state to state or are most builders charging about the same regardless of area?.. i worked out to build a 1400 sq foot house it would cost about $400,000 give or take... that seems a hell of a lot... its not even that expensive in the UK!! maybe my maths is just crap?
Old Oct 21st 2006, 11:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesandRay
do the prices change much state to state or are most builders charging about the same regardless of area?.. i worked out to build a 1400 sq foot house it would cost about $400,000 give or take... that seems a hell of a lot... its not even that expensive in the UK!! maybe my maths is just crap?
1400 @ $200/sq ft = $280,000 innit ?
Old Oct 21st 2006, 2:18 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

That would be province to province, we don't have states in Canada.

If you include the cost of the land you might be close.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

JulesandRay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hangman
That would be province to province, we don't have states in Canada.

If you include the cost of the land you might be close.
ooooohhhhh forgive me for the mistake!! only joking!

And yes..... to the other post it would be $280,000..told you my maths was awful..ha ha..
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

When we were over in NB last year we were quoted by Prestige Homes and Kent Homes $100 per square foot.
That is for very basic spec - no upgrades.

And maybe there is HST to add. Can't remember.

Penny
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Meg Muzza is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

it all depends on where you buy, what kind/size house you want and the builder you choose. I am a Canadian who moved to britain and then back home with hubby, and we are now looking at a beautiful plot of land which looks out at the st lawrence river. The land itself isnt expensive ($30 000) but if we wanted we could put a $100 000 house on it or a $400 000 house. You can see how the costs would be at other ends of the spectrum. This lovely bit of land is in a more rural area, if you go to ottawa (the closest big cityto us) you'd be looking at well over $100 000 for just the land (i've looked!). Custom build homes can be more expensive but then you get exactly what you want. Houses in/close to cities cost more because of where they are, if your willing to compromise then you can build your own home, or buy something less then perfect that wont cost the earth! Just be realistic about what is in your budget, and (i'm not trying to be patronizing) realize that things in canada as well as in the uk cost money.

hi, we are in the process of emmigrating and have been looking at houses to buy but we really fancy buying some land and building our own house on it.

Just looking for advice and experience of anyone who may be in the process of doing so or have done and could offer some hints and tips. Advice on how tough it is to get planning permission, how expensive it is to build your own house etc....?
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

bobhope is on a distinguished road

getting land that is large enough for 3 houses outside Edmonton means you will prob have to move further out as there are not that many big plots close to the city. It might be easier if you buy 3 plots in a new sub division. I have heard that Willopeak homes are waiting for permission to sub divide a large plot near Alberta beach, a few clicks out from Stoney Plain. They are a good builder with high recommendations from people that have used them. if you buy your own land. Well you have to look where the services,electric, gas well etc are. That lot could add 20000 bucks to your build. As for planning permission, does not seem to be to much of a prob, you would go through Parkland County if buying out that way. Although they do have rules about putting trailers on land, and some areas you cant put a moduler! It depends where you want to build. Lastly its the wait for a builder, I was looking into building in the summer and was quoted April 2007 as the EARLIEST time they could start. This seems to be about average, even modulers quoted me much the same! I plumbed for a house in Spuce Grove, small town feel, close to Edmonton for the jobs etc! And not to far or driving in the winter! Hope this helps!