Reload this Page >

Buying a car in BC

Buying a car in BC

Old Feb 7th 2016, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

cha1mers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car in BC

Hi
I have read a few threads on this, but most are really old.
My wife and I are moving to Surrey BC next week and have a some questions regarding buying a car/truck.
-Can I buy a car on my UK licence without a Canadian address? Or do I need to rent until we have an apartment in BC to register it to?
-After the 90 days of driving on my UK licence do I still have to sit a BC knowledge and road test?
-I was thinking of buying a used car from a dealer as I have heard this makes the buying process a bit easier as you can register/insure it all at the one place.
Is this true or is it just as easy to buy private and do it yourself?
Thanks
Old Feb 7th 2016, 10:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in BC

Originally Posted by cha1mers
Hi
I have read a few threads on this, but most are really old.
My wife and I are moving to Surrey BC next week and have a some questions regarding buying a car/truck.
-Can I buy a car on my UK licence without a Canadian address? Or do I need to rent until we have an apartment in BC to register it to?
You can buy a car with your UK license. You will need an address in BC. Maybe work, or your hotel?

You have to buy basic insurance from a government agency called ICBC. They have very strict requirements for you to prove at-fault-accident-free-driving before they give you any discount. Without a discount insurance premiums are very expensive. http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/moving-...residents.aspx

-After the 90 days of driving on my UK licence do I still have to sit a BC knowledge and road test?
As long as you have held your UK license for at least 2 years you can just exchange your UK one for a BC one.

-I was thinking of buying a used car from a dealer as I have heard this makes the buying process a bit easier as you can register/insure it all at the one place.
Thanks
It does make it a little easier especially as everything will be strange to start with. Treat a Canadian user car dealer with the same caution as you would in the UK. Some useful info here ... http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registra...s/default.aspx
Old Feb 7th 2016, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 11:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I would add and this is only my experience;
Whatever the price you see, add 12% tax to it. The dealer adds this, or on a private sale, it is paid when you register the vehicle.

I would buy from a franchised dealer, be careful what you sign.
When you try and negotiate price, often the salesman will ask you to sign an 'offer' form, before he takes your offer to the sales manager. This could be a binding contract.

On their bill of sale, dealers often have a 'documentation charge' printed on it. Whatever they tell you this is not a govt fee nor any anything they have to charge. They have a host of reasons why it is on there, none of which are valid reasons other than trying to get more money out of you. I have always taken it off and as yet, have never had to pay it.

Watch out for add on insurances and warranties you may not want.

Worth signing up for this
Automobile Protection Association
Especially if you buy new. Dealers have two invoices from the manufacturer, one they show you, one they pay the manufacturer on. Don't get sucked in by a small fee over invoice. APA will send you copies of what the dealer pays.

The Lemon Aid guide (in libraries) is a useful source for new and used vehicle reviews.

If you buy used, get a CarProof report (private or from a dealer) or at the least do a lien check with ICBC. CarProof can do several checks. BCAA offer a car inspection service, its not perfect, but better then nothing if you are not a mechanic.

There is an article on car buying in this months issue of Moneysense. http://www.moneysense.ca/

Last edited by Aviator; Feb 7th 2016 at 11:31 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Contact all of your UK car insurance companies for the last 10 years and get proof of your claim free driving years. Start now, BEFORE you leave the UK!

The information MUST be provided in this format:

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/moving-...residents.aspx

Otherwise they WILL reject it.

Standard 'Proof of No Claims' letters are not accepted.

Also full names, no initials.

You are best to assume that you will be given ZERO discount and that it will take you up to a year to get the proof they require in the correct format.

If you are buying or insuring a fairly new vehicle, budget on the insurance being between $3000-$3500 per year without discount, for the equivalent of Fully Comp.

As you're new to Canada, you can only pay in full or over 6 months.

Last edited by withabix; Feb 7th 2016 at 11:32 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 11:32 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Contact all of your UK car insurance companies for the last 10 years and get proof of your claim free driving years. Start now, BEFORE you leave the UK!

The information MUST be provided in this format:

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/moving-...residents.aspx

Otherwise they WILL reject it.

Standard 'Proof of No Claims' letters are not accepted.

Also full names, no initials.

You are best to assume that you will be given ZERO discount and that it will take you up to a year to get the proof they require in the correct format.

If you are buying or insuring a fairly new vehicle, budget on the insurance being between $3000-$3500 per year without discount, for the equivalent of Fully Comp.
It has to come from the underwriter, not a broker or reseller.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 12:05 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cha1mers
my UK licence do I still have to sit a BC knowledge and road test?
Thanks
Before you buy from a dealer, check out the second hand values to make sure you are not getting ripped off. Always haggle.

Canadian Used Car Values
Canadian Black Book | Used Cars | New Cars | Cars For Sale
and before you settle on a price, do a quick scan through craigslist to see what other people are selling the same year, make & model for.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice.
Am thinking of buying with cash so I can haggle and get the best price that way.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 4:52 pm
Kelowna newbies July 15

Beckie and Morgan UK is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a Mini Coopet Clubman in BC from an auction! We did get friendly with a mechanic beforehand and got him to check it out for us. We had changed our UK licenses over to Canadian already. When we went to pay we had to get insurance to drive away
We had 10 years no claims certificate but because the insurance company hadn't put a start date on ICBC wouldn't accept it so it cost us $1600 for the year I believe! The car has been great by the way, no problems!