Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in BC

Buying a car in BC

Old Oct 12th 2013, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Amtobi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Buying a car in BC

I am trying to find out more about buying a car in BC. My DH & I will hopefully be arriving in Jan on a TWP.

Would we have to have a BC licence for insurance or would we be able to buy (and be insured) on on an international licence? We would like to buy a car ASAP and avoid having a rental.

We have UAE & RSA driving licences so we will have to do the driving tests before we can get our BC licences, which is a bit of a pain! but alas we will just have to get on with it

TIA
Old Oct 12th 2013, 3:43 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in BC

Originally Posted by Amtobi
I am trying to find out more about buying a car in BC. My DH & I will hopefully be arriving in Jan on a TWP.

Would we have to have a BC licence for insurance or would we be able to buy (and be insured) on on an international licence? We would like to buy a car ASAP and avoid having a rental.
No, you can buy and insure a car using a foreign driver's license.

We have UAE & RSA driving licences so we will have to do the driving tests before we can get our BC licences, which is a bit of a pain! but alas we will just have to get on with it

TIA
Unfortunately, yes. You can use your foreign licenses for up to 90 days but if you want to continue driving after this you must pass a BC knowledge and road test.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

TIA
If you are going to live in the Lower Mainland, keep Aircare ( emissions inspection ) in mind.
Outside the Lower Mainland ( Vancouver to Abbotsford ), don't worry.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 4:36 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Martin the cdn expat
If you are going to live in the Lower Mainland, keep Aircare ( emissions inspection ) in mind.
Note Air Care Ends Dec/14
Old Oct 12th 2013, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Martin the cdn expat
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that, we will be in Surrey so that will affect us.

PMM is it ending on the 14th dec or Dec 2014?
Old Oct 12th 2013, 6:50 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that, we will be in Surrey so that will affect us.

PMM is it ending on the 14th dec or Dec 2014?
Dec 2014 Note that only cars older that 2007 require aircare every 2 years.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JonboyE
No, you can buy and insure a car using a foreign driver's license.

Unfortunately, yes. You can use your foreign licenses for up to 90 days but if you want to continue driving after this you must pass a BC knowledge and road test.
hmmm...i moved here in june this year 2013..just swapped my uk licence for a BC one...no test. although they asked me a question about turning right at a red light over the counter...that was it

maybe i have a kind sensible driver face?????

sorry just noted...op wasnt asking about uk licence

Last edited by angelic applicant; Oct 13th 2013 at 2:40 pm. Reason: new info
Old Oct 13th 2013, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by angelic applicant
hmmm...i moved here in june this year 2013..just swapped my uk licence for a BC one...no test. although they asked me a question about turning right at a red light over the counter...that was it

maybe i have a kind sensible driver face?????

sorry just noted...op wasnt asking about uk licence
Yip, SA doesn't have an agreement with Canada. We don't have to do the whole graded licence. From what I understand we have to do the written test and then the final road test. Not looking forward to that!

On that topic, does anyone have experiance of the road test?
Old Oct 13th 2013, 5:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

On that topic, does anyone have experiance of the road test?
It is not that difficult. Take it in an automatic as there are a lot less things they can fail you on. Drive defensively, shoulder check before maneuvering, stick to the speed limits. You know how to drive, you just have to demonstrate that you can do so safely.

I suggest you take one or two lessons in the area where you will take your driving test. The instructor can take you round a couple of likely test routes and point out what the examiner will be looking for.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 7:13 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is not that difficult. Take it in an automatic as there are a lot less things they can fail you on. Drive defensively, shoulder check before maneuvering, stick to the speed limits. You know how to drive, you just have to demonstrate that you can do so safely.

I suggest you take one or two lessons in the area where you will take your driving test. The instructor can take you round a couple of likely test routes and point out what the examiner will be looking for.

Good suggestion, one thing to be very careful of during the test, is the bike lanes, don't pull into the bike lane before the dotted line when making a right turn.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Paradise1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can bring a letter from previous insurance companies stating how many years of safe driving you have then your insurance rates in BC will be a bit lower.
Just gone through this with a 26 year old from germany who is staying in Canada for a year. He paid $1200 to insure a 1990 dodge van.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:16 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paradise1
If you can bring a letter from previous insurance companies stating how many years of safe driving you have then your insurance rates in BC will be a bit lower.
Just gone through this with a 26 year old from germany who is staying in Canada for a year. He paid $1200 to insure a 1990 dodge van.
A letter of safe driving is no good for ICBC. What they require is a letter (in their format) of how many uninterrupted years you have with no at fault claims up to the point of getting insurance with ICBC.