Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buy to rent - UK or Canada?

Buy to rent - UK or Canada?

Old Jun 22nd 2013, 12:29 am
Just Joined

listener has a spectacular aura aboutlistener has a spectacular aura aboutlistener has a spectacular aura about
Default Buy to rent - UK or Canada?

What would peoples preferences be in purchasing property to rent out and why?

I'm thinking specifically of London (UK) vs Toronto, in terms of:

- Property value appreciation/depreciation over the years
- Tenants
- Other costs other than initial purchase price e.g. stamp duty, Canadian equivalent

And anything else that comes to mind?

All input appreciated
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 12:48 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buy to rent - UK or Canada?

Originally Posted by listener
What would peoples preferences be in purchasing property to rent out and why?

I'm thinking specifically of London (UK) vs Toronto, in terms of:

- Property value appreciation/depreciation over the years
- Tenants
- Other costs other than initial purchase price e.g. stamp duty, Canadian equivalent

And anything else that comes to mind?

All input appreciated
No way would I invest in rental properties anymore. One of the downsides is renters. In many municipalities out west, the landlord is responsible to make sure the property is not used as a grow op and is on the hook if it is.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 2:23 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Buy to rent - UK or Canada?

Part of my job involves auditing pensions accounts. As part of this we have to make sure the assumptions they use for future returns on their assets are sensible. Although things are obviously going to vary from property to property and the fact that our assumption includes management charges, but we generally expect the return on property to be around 6% p.a., whereas the return on equity (shares) is around 7% p.a.

I would personally not invest in property, especially given the work involved, but have a broad portfolio of equities. Ultimately, it depends what you want your money to do though, steady stream of income, or higher growth with greater variability?