Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

buy condo downtown for week....house in suburbs for weekends vancouver ?

buy condo downtown for week....house in suburbs for weekends vancouver ?

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:22 pm
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough
Question buy condo downtown for week....house in suburbs for weekends vancouver ?

hi ..has anyone done this....gets rid of commute and lets you live slightly further out,maybe lions bay or similar......
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:31 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buy condo downtown for week....house in suburbs for weekends vancouver ?

Originally Posted by howardk
hi ..has anyone done this....gets rid of commute and lets you live slightly further out,maybe lions bay or similar......
Lions Bay = West Van (= expensive).

I know a few people who have a cheap place (i.e. they bought in years ago) in the 'burbs to commute during the week and a country cabin/trailer hours away in the interior so they can relieve their inner redneck needs at the weekend.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:56 pm
Banned

Default Re: buy condo downtown for week....house in suburbs for weekends vancouver ?

Originally Posted by acer rose
Lions Bay = West Van (= expensive).

I know a few people who have a cheap place (i.e. they bought in years ago) in the 'burbs to commute during the week and a country cabin/trailer hours away in the interior so they can relieve their inner redneck needs at the weekend.
hi...sure we understand...but i can see that $800k might get you something,then a condo downtown for $350k..........also looking into white rock area on similar basis.......cheers.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:14 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

hi...sure we understand...but i can see that $800k might get you something,then a condo downtown for $350k..........also looking into white rock area on similar basis.......cheers.
I realise that your budget is somewhat higher than many people I know in real life and come across on here so I suppose it depends what your usual working hours are and how much time you want to spend with your family. I know people do the commute from Squamish to Vancouver on a daily basis for work, let alone from Lions Bay or White Rock. I've even heard of somebody commuting from Nanaimo to Vancouver (on the ferry) but that would get old very quickly, especially with the summer ferry line-ups. With the cost of fuel, living close to work is going to be a winner for a lot of people, but I'm not sure with the sort of places you're thinking about that it will save much if you are running two homes. Personally, I would say that White Rock and Lions Bay are two very different communities and perhaps you should look more at what sort of community you want to live in? FWIW if you have kids, from Lions Bay they'll be doing a daily commute to West Van for school anyway!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by acer rose
I realise that your budget is somewhat higher than many people I know in real life and come across on here so I suppose it depends what your usual working hours are and how much time you want to spend with your family. I know people do the commute from Squamish to Vancouver on a daily basis for work, let alone from Lions Bay or White Rock. I've even heard of somebody commuting from Nanaimo to Vancouver (on the ferry) but that would get old very quickly, especially with the summer ferry line-ups. With the cost of fuel, living close to work is going to be a winner for a lot of people, but I'm not sure with the sort of places you're thinking about that it will save much if you are running two homes. Personally, I would say that White Rock and Lions Bay are two very different communities and perhaps you should look more at what sort of community you want to live in? FWIW if you have kids, from Lions Bay they'll be doing a daily commute to West Van for school anyway!
hi acer..thanks for that...my office hours are 8.00 - 5.00....but i don't want to be travelling/commuting more than 45 mins max.....we have thought and researched north and west van and deep cove,port moody as these area's also had schooling and rec facilities as kids are 7&10.....but white rock was just a thought really ....we have over the last 6 years or so lived by the beach in small communities in NZ and wanted somrhing similar in vancouver....without the issue of the RAIN....so thought white rock may give us that....but seems way out from centre down town.........so maybe back to the drawing board...
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:56 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt it. Anyone with that kind of money and any sense would retire.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bazzz
I doubt it. Anyone with that kind of money and any sense would retire.
........been retired for the last 5 years....now 45 and kids are now 7&10 and at full time school etc....and cutting the grass has become a bit boring....so now to get back into the buzz of work.....
Old Aug 4th 2008, 4:20 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. It must be stunning to have such a lack of imagination.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 4:24 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

hi acer..thanks for that...my office hours are 8.00 - 5.00....but i don't want to be travelling/commuting more than 45 mins max.....we have thought and researched north and west van and deep cove,port moody as these area's also had schooling and rec facilities as kids are 7&10.....but white rock was just a thought really ....we have over the last 6 years or so lived by the beach in small communities in NZ and wanted somrhing similar in vancouver....without the issue of the RAIN....so thought white rock may give us that....but seems way out from centre down town.........so maybe back to the drawing board...
Take a peek at Crescent Beach, nice properties along there, some waterfront.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be such a misery guts Bazz, some people just love to work! My father is a very wealthy man but still working full time at 63 years old (having originally retired at 43 and then returned to work because he missed it too much!), purely because he loves it. Sounds like he's very similar to Howard.

And Howard, your topics and subsequent replies are v interesting to me as we're planning on going to a similar area as the ones you have been mentioning (i.e. North Van etc). We're off to Vancouver in the new year and hubby will be working on Burrard St so thinking of those areas so he can Seabus it over. So thanks for asking them!! Best of luck.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:35 pm
Banned

hey...you're a funny little man....but i wouldn't want to be in your shoes....
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Take a peek at Crescent Beach, nice properties along there, some waterfront.
hi....yes just looked at that area.....looks very nice and with several schools....cheers.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Don't be such a misery guts Bazz, some people just love to work! My father is a very wealthy man but still working full time at 63 years old (having originally retired at 43 and then returned to work because he missed it too much!), purely because he loves it. Sounds like he's very similar to Howard.

And Howard, your topics and subsequent replies are v interesting to me as we're planning on going to a similar area as the ones you have been mentioning (i.e. North Van etc). We're off to Vancouver in the new year and hubby will be working on Burrard St so thinking of those areas so he can Seabus it over. So thanks for asking them!! Best of luck.
no worries.......hope you enjoy the place...