Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buy! Buy! Buy!

Buy! Buy! Buy!

Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice
Default Re: Buy! Buy! Buy!

Originally Posted by RebelCaptain
This is all very interesting and here is the reality. I have a very good job to go to in Toronto that pays very well, myself and my family will emigrate in Jan. My house has been on the market for two months, I have had to drop the price by £30k in that time. One person has come to see it and has not bought it. I cannot sell my house because the markets have gone plane crazy. How can Walmart be worth 20% less than it was 2 days ago, non of this makes any sense but it is happening. What exacally am I supposed to do (obviously not listen to a word OTBO says) but I will have to rent in Toronto until I sell my house in the UK, this could be good or bad depending on the stability of the market in both Canada and the UK. You are probably right that the rate will change to benefit us English folk but that doesn't help most of us normal people who cannot release our equity.

And by the time you do realise that equity you may not get back what you lost even if the exchange rate goes near 2.27 depending on what you lost due to losing so much value in your home
Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
Can a realtor really give unbiased advice ?
Can anyone give unbiased advice? Whether it's affected by profit, experience or unapparent prejudice advice of any kind is rarely unbiased. Everyone has an angle and when heeding advice it's always worth bearing that in mind.

That's my advice.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:50 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
Can anyone give unbiased advice? Whether it's affected by profit, experience or unapparent prejudice advice of any kind is rarely unbiased. Everyone has an angle and when heeding advice it's always worth bearing that in mind.

That's my advice.
I don't trust you
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
That's my advice.
Prejudiced by having previously given and received advice, I'll bet.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Someone waay upthread suggested that, as a realtor, OTBO was trying to "squeeze the last drop" out of the real estate market. I think it much more likely that the fool is still trying to squeeze that first drop out of the market.

I mean, would you buy a used car from this man?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
.....the North Shore (an economically depressed area)
Just as an aside, I have been looking at areas of NS for a possible move. I have not gained the impression that the North Shore is a depressed area - at least not more than many places.

I thought I'd actually been reading of new businesses setting up there.

Would any residents of the area care to comment?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Just as an aside, I have been looking at areas of NS for a possible move. I have not gained the impression that the North Shore is a depressed area - at least not more than many places.

It's certainly not Halifax, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary etc however most people here can turn a hand to anything which is what you need if you want to be in rural community like this. The North shore has lots of small businesses that seem to do well in my experience and thats been 6 months so far. House prices are still inexpensive and bargains are to be had. Some houses have sat on the market here since we have been here so beware of some of the hype. All said and done take a reasoned approach to moving here. Come and visit and meet with the right people who really know the area.

Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
Keep an eye on the Canadian $ - the government target is for it to go to 80 cents: 1 USD. At that point the GBP will have maximum purchasing power and it will be the best time to buy here for 3 years.

For US buyers, property is already 20% cheaper than it was a two weeks ago. Fuel just dropped to 50p/litre and interest rates are dropping too.

The plan is to stimulate the housing market and for the ripple effects to boost the economy. Combine that with investors switching from shares to antiques, art and property and it is

BuY! Buy! Buy!

I am a Realtor and am watching what has been happening very closely - all the website stats are up.
I'm afraid your theory presently hangs in tatters.... the pound has shot up against the USD today, and dropped against the CAD.... quite a lot, considering things are supposed to be "all rosy" after the UK taxpayer bailout! Still, fingers crossed....
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by geedee
I'm afraid your theory presently hangs in tatters.... the pound has shot up against the USD today, and dropped against the CAD.... quite a lot, considering things are supposed to be "all rosy" after the UK taxpayer bailout! Still, fingers crossed....
No need to be afraid, as it's not quite tatters ....(I use http://www.x-rates.com/d/CAD/GBP/graph30.html

Not much Trading today as it is Thanksgiving and Canadian Markets closed. I expect a sharp rise in the TSX tomorrow, strengthening Can$, which will then start it's fall after Stephen Harper gets re-elected and implements the OEC parity strategy and interest rate cuts. If Dion gets in they will fall anyway.

2008-09-02 Tuesday, September 2 1.90991 CAD
2008-09-03 Wednesday, September3 1.88805 CAD
2008-09-04 Thursday, September 4 1.88211 CAD
2008-09-05 Friday, September 5 1.88137 CAD
2008-09-08 Monday, September 8 1.87605 CAD
2008-09-09 Tuesday, September 9 1.88684 CAD
2008-09-10 Wednesday, Septemb10 1.88367 CAD
2008-09-11 Thursday, September 11 1.88915 CAD
2008-09-12 Friday, September 12 1.89805 CAD
2008-09-15 Monday, September 15 1.90748 CAD
2008-09-16 Tuesday, September 16 1.9114 CAD
2008-09-17 Wednesday, Septemb17 1.93051 CAD
2008-09-18 Thursday, September 18 1.94517 CAD
2008-09-19 Friday, September 19 1.91551 CAD
2008-09-22 Monday, September 22 1.9192 CAD
2008-09-23 Tuesday, September 23 1.92168 CAD
2008-09-24 Wednesday, Septemb24 1.91514 CAD
2008-09-25 Thursday, September 25 1.90281 CAD
2008-09-26 Friday, September 26 1.90477 CAD
2008-09-29 Monday, September 29 1.87531 CAD
2008-09-30 Tuesday, September 30 1.88669 CAD
2008-10-01 Wednesday, October 1 1.88847 CAD
2008-10-02 Thursday, October 2 1.90127 CAD
2008-10-03 Friday, October 3 1.91858 CAD
2008-10-06 Monday, October 6 1.91649 CAD
2008-10-07 Tuesday, October 7 1.9448 CAD
2008-10-08 Wednesday, October 8 1.94668 CAD
2008-10-09 Thursday, October 9 1.97795 CAD
2008-10-10 Friday, October 10 2.0274 CAD
2008-10-13 Monday, October 13 2.0274 CAD
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tuppence
Do yourself a favour and research the poster. He has the most impressive record to mis leading for personal gain. Occasionally (when he forgets his meds) he re appears here and spouts a load more crap. He is a master flamer who pretends he is a successful realtor on the North Shore (an economically depressed area) He enjoys sharing his "happy place" with us all. I personally feel for him.
You insult and mislead so many people by calling this area economically depressed - you must be from Fool River.

In six months I have $30m plus inventory, mostly wig-wams and out-houses as we can't afford houses up here, more listings than many brokerages. It depends how you measure success - someone from Calgary sent me flowers for taking the time to do some viewings - that's success to me.

Thanks for feeling for me, I feel for you too, let's get married.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK

In Tatamagouche an organic produce co-operative is just starting, an artists retreat is opening on Malagash, a Uk couple run a Garden Centre, Riding Stables on Brule, new massive golf development happening there too, Fox Harb'r Resort and Spa...plus stores.

Truro is the hub of Nova Scotia...Google the RDA.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Someone waay upthread suggested that, as a realtor, OTBO was trying to "squeeze the last drop" out of the real estate market. I think it much more likely that the fool is still trying to squeeze that first drop out of the market.

I mean, would you buy a used car from this man?
Yawn.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RebelCaptain
This is all very interesting and here is the reality. I have a very good job to go to in Toronto that pays very well, myself and my family will emigrate in Jan. My house has been on the market for two months, I have had to drop the price by £30k in that time. One person has come to see it and has not bought it. I cannot sell my house because the markets have gone plane crazy. How can Walmart be worth 20% less than it was 2 days ago, non of this makes any sense but it is happening. What exacally am I supposed to do (obviously not listen to a word OTBO says) but I will have to rent in Toronto until I sell my house in the UK, this could be good or bad depending on the stability of the market in both Canada and the UK. You are probably right that the rate will change to benefit us English folk but that doesn't help most of us normal people who cannot release our equity.
I did say "if someone was ready to buy" not "if you might be ready to buy in x years time, when you sell your house"
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you mean well, OTBO, but this figure:

2008-10-13 Monday, October 13 2.0274 CAD

isn't what the beeb reported earlier, which was 1.98.... a 4c difference.

It would be nice to see your hopes materialise.... but the bottom line is the UK economy has been trashed by nulabour and it will take a long time to fix. While the CAD might drop against the USD, there is no guarantee that it will drop against the GBP. Pity, but true.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:02 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
....an artists retreat is opening on Malagash
That'll make a heap of cash

When does the sasquatch nursery (run by a very nice homely couple from Cheltenham, UK) open ?

Buy! Buy! Buy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.