Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Business Letter Salutation

Business Letter Salutation

Old Feb 13th 2015, 6:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Letter Salutation

Originally Posted by Aviator
I always end a letter with
'Sincerely'
Most of the stuff I receive ends that way. They must be copying you

Originally Posted by JonboyE
"Yours truly" for formal letters. Use "yours sincerely" in the same way as the UK.
Doesn't it make you cringe when you get yours truely?
Old Feb 13th 2015, 9:11 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Most of the stuff I receive ends that way. They must be copying you
I copied them
Old Feb 14th 2015, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
If they are registered on LinkedIn they will most likely have an updated job title.

If in the job advert/specification it tells you which job title you are reporting too you simply look up the company and then the individual with the job role or type in Google:

"Company Name" "Job Title" "LinkedIn" and Bob is your Uncle!
So wouldn't work then for me. Companies never put names or titles in their ads, suppose they don't want to be bombarded with people tracking them down.

I could see for higher level jobs though where they might include who the position reports to.

This is how entry low end jobs get advertised, and in this case they don't deal with it locally, they use an outsourcing company (Air Canada does too) to screen the applications, go into the store and they refer you to the website.

"oin Save-On-Foods and get so much more...

We’re a growing team at Save-On-Foods and are looking for customer service oriented people to join us! We offer great career opportunities while providing on-going training to invest in our team members so they can develop and achieve their goals.

As a Team Member of Save-On-Foods you can expect:

A great group of team members to work with!
A dynamic , fast paced working environment
An organization that supports local growers, products, community groups, and the environment
Flexible schedules (given 3 weeks in advance)
Opportunities for career development so you can grow with us
Competitive benefits package & industry competitive wage

As a General Clerk, you will:

Create great customer experiences and offer excellent service
Receive great training in various departments like Customer Service, Bakery, Deli, Grocery and Fresh Foods.
Operate a cash register and bag groceries
Ensure department is stocked and well presented
Provide customers with information about different products
Ensure a clean and sanitary environment

No experience necessary as we love to train the right people!

If you are a positive, customer-focused individual, we invite you to apply. Please apply online as this is the quickest way for our friendly recruiters connect with you about jobs that match your interests and availability.

Thank you for your interest in working at Save-On-Foods!"

First time you even get a managers name and title at air canada when I applied was after the screening company screened and approved you and then scheduled an interview.

I was hoping there was a way to by pass these recruiting companies, they are tricky to pass.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 3:50 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
So wouldn't work then for me. Companies never put names or titles in their ads, suppose they don't want to be bombarded with people tracking them down.

I could see for higher level jobs though where they might include who the position reports to.

This is how entry low end jobs get advertised, and in this case they don't deal with it locally, they use an outsourcing company (Air Canada does too) to screen the applications, go into the store and they refer you to the website.

[...]

First time you even get a managers name and title at air canada when I applied was after the screening company screened and approved you and then scheduled an interview.

I was hoping there was a way to by pass these recruiting companies, they are tricky to pass.
There are still ways to find the right person. For something like the Save-on Foods store clerk positions, I'd be tempted to just ask one of the staff in-store who the personnel manager is. Don't ask at the customer service desk - they will have had the corporate memo with instructions to refer you to the website!

Then I'd send a note to the personnel manager in addition to applying online. Say something like "I applied through the online process as instructed. I would like to draw your attention to the following highlights of my application:" and then pick out a couple of bullet points that you think make you stand out.

The aim is not to get the personnel person to hire you right off the bat, but to get him or her to "pull" your application through the filtering process of the online system. Once your application is through that first screen, you've crossed a significant hurdle, and are now in a position to be called for interview where, of course, you will shine because you already have the interviewer's name and might even have been able to find out a little bit about them on Google...

Or, again, by bending the ear of somebody you get chatting to in the store. Even if that's a conversation with a checkout assistant: once you have the name, a conversation opener could be "hey, tell me, I'm thinking of applying for a position here, what's [personnel manager] like? Anything I should know before my interview?" Mostly, people like being asked for their opinion, and will be only too happy to share
Old Feb 17th 2015, 3:59 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
There are still ways to find the right person. For something like the Save-on Foods store clerk positions, I'd be tempted to just ask one of the staff in-store who the personnel manager is. Don't ask at the customer service desk - they will have had the corporate memo with instructions to refer you to the website!

Then I'd send a note to the personnel manager in addition to applying online. Say something like "I applied through the online process as instructed. I would like to draw your attention to the following highlights of my application:" and then pick out a couple of bullet points that you think make you stand out.

The aim is not to get the personnel person to hire you right off the bat, but to get him or her to "pull" your application through the filtering process of the online system. Once your application is through that first screen, you've crossed a significant hurdle, and are now in a position to be called for interview where, of course, you will shine because you already have the interviewer's name and might even have been able to find out a little bit about them on Google...

Or, again, by bending the ear of somebody you get chatting to in the store. Even if that's a conversation with a checkout assistant: once you have the name, a conversation opener could be "hey, tell me, I'm thinking of applying for a position here, what's [personnel manager] like? Anything I should know before my interview?" Mostly, people like being asked for their opinion, and will be only too happy to share
If you want to by pass the internet filtering process. Take the job spec key words and requirements and just load your resume with them where possible.

Remember recruiters have no idea what it takes to be good at the job so they just do a key word search. Select a few resumes and go from there.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

The other day I printed out the posting certificate provided by Canada Post for a tracked item. I noticed it used the form "Dear Sir or Madam" and finished with "Yours sincerely"so I would expect thats a fairly neutral form to use.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
The other day I printed out the posting certificate provided by Canada Post for a tracked item. I noticed it used the form "Dear Sir or Madam" and finished with "Yours sincerely"so I would expect thats a fairly neutral form to use.
I'm a bit Old Skool. Your example grates.

Basic Brit rule:
Dear Sir, Dear Madam, = Yours faithfully
Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms XYZ = Yours sincerely

Yes, I know we're in Canada . I've adhered to the above all my life & not been chastised.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
If you want to by pass the internet filtering process. Take the job spec key words and requirements and just load your resume with them where possible.

Remember recruiters have no idea what it takes to be good at the job so they just do a key word search. Select a few resumes and go from there.
Good post.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 7:04 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback

Basic Brit rule:

Yes, I know we're in Canada . I've adhered to the above all my life & not been chastised.

Me too!
Old Mar 5th 2015, 7:25 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback

Basic Brit rule:

I quite like the way the Victorians did it. From the basic "I remain, Sir, your obedient servant" to the Gollum-like smarm of "It is with obsequious glee and unctuous delight that I remain, Sir, your humble and obedient preciousssss..." Or the shorthand "Yours, &c" if in a rush.

This forumula also gives one the opportunity to be cutting and pointedly rude, while still maintaining a veneer of politeness and decorum and using enough commas to upset even Anthony Trollope:
"In hopeful anticipation, but scant expectation, of a speedy resolution to my complaint, I remain, Sir, your humble and obedient supplicant."

I actually used that (or something very similar) to a customer service person once. Much to my surprise, I got a reply in kind and a quick answer to the original issue.