Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Business banking

Business banking

Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:15 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business banking

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Edited to add: for a business account I guess one thing you need to think about is that for commercial lending they do tend to be quite conservative. No problem borrowing against real estate but they don't like losing their members' money in speculative business ventures.
So that gold mine in Busang is going to be a non starter then?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:19 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I haven't seen Lauren for ages, I suppose the TD have shipped her off to boost business at some other branch.

I'm a bit perplexed to see how one bank can be better for, small or medium, business than another. It's not like personal banking where there might be a mortgage, a credit card, a car loan, lots of products. A business receives cheques or cash and writes cheques, so long as the teller can count cash reasonably quickly, the bank's providing all the service its competitors might.

I find that, with the TD, there's a problem with a cheque once a year or so, the wrong amount deposited or withdrawn, they're reasonably quick to sort these things out. I think that, in a business context, that's as good as it's going to get. Banks just don't do very much for businesses so there's not much scope for them to differentiate themselves.
I think the point is about the relationship with the bank, which is perhaps more important to a business owner using finance. Larger and established customers also have more success in negotiating charges. Once with a financial institution I find it best to stay there, unless they screw up royaly.

Personaly RBC, have been very good for us, I do also use a credit union and and online high interest ( Oh for the days of 15% and parity on the GBP) provider.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I think the point is about the relationship with the bank, which is perhaps more important to a business owner using finance. Larger and established customers also have more success in negotiating charges. Once with a financial institution I find it best to stay there, unless they screw up royaly.

Personaly RBC, have been very good for us, I do also use a credit union and and online high interest ( Oh for the days of 15% and parity on the GBP) provider.
Ah, I suppose we've had low expectations of the banks for so long that I've forgotten they're involved in more than just the provision of an account. We do maintain a close connection with the currency trader, now technically a bank, they send a messenger daily.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:15 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A business receives cheques or cash and writes cheques, so long as the teller can count cash reasonably quickly, the bank's providing all the service its competitors might.
Which appears to be a tall order, imx. They can compete on bank fees.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Quinch is a jewel in the roughQuinch is a jewel in the roughQuinch is a jewel in the roughQuinch is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is a credit union, not a bank. Credit Unions are something like the building societies used to be in the UK before they all demutualized in the '90s. With a Credit Union you become a member, not a customer. Any excess of income over expenditure is returned to members as an increase in the value of their membership shares. It s not much because they don't aim to make a profit. Coast Capital offer a free-as-long-as-you-stay-in-credit chequing account. Run a free savings account along side this and they pay you to bank with them.

For mortgages the big banks post a rate way in excess of what they will actually lend at. You have to negotiate them down and, because not everyone is good at negotiating, many people pay more than they need to. Coast Capital don't. They have one, very competitive, rate and that is it. Everyone gets it.

The Credit Unions may not have all the electronic whistles and bangs you are used to in the UK. Internet banking is fine for everyday use and you can use any Credit Union ATM for free. However, for some transactions you may still need to go to a branch. It is not much of a hardship. They employ very nice people.

Edited to add: for a business account I guess one thing you need to think about is that for commercial lending they do tend to be quite conservative. No problem borrowing against real estate but they don't like losing their members' money in speculative business ventures.
Liking the sound of them a lot and when it comes to coinage, the less whistles and bangs the better imo, especially on the web.

I have to say though, the idea of negotiating/haggling a mortgage rate sounds like fun if only for the experience. Do TD do this at all?

Quality info, appreciated.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:04 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinch
Liking the sound of them a lot and when it comes to coinage, the less whistles and bangs the better imo, especially on the web.

I have to say though, the idea of negotiating/haggling a mortgage rate sounds like fun if only for the experience. Do TD do this at all?

Quality info, appreciated.
Today, TD's rate for a five year fixed rate mortgage is 5.39%. They have a special offer rate, which I imagine is what they will offer if you start haggling, of 4.19%. Coast Capital are offering 3.55%.

I would guess that if you have a good credit rating and a decent amount of equity in the home TD will come down to 3.55% but I also guess that you will have to walk out at least once to get it.

One thing I have found is that any arrangement fees are quickly negotiated away. Early repayment penalties for fixed rate mortgages are a different matter but many mortgage deals will come with some limited repayment privileges.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Steve_
I know we have these threads about banks on here, but I was wondering if there was anyone out west who has their own business or is responsible for the business' bank accounts because I'm getting really narked off with my local bank, they're utterly hopeless. They were never great but in the last year or so they've become pathetic.

Anyone have any really good experiences with banks?
We bank with the TD for business and personal. I much prefer them over RBC who are useless. TD banking hours are great, although I do find there is never one person that looks after business accounts. Sometimes you might get a young 20 something just fresh out of college who really hasn't got the experience to understand what "cashflow" really means in business! But other that they are good and we haven't had any problems with them.