Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Business accounting in Canada

Business accounting in Canada

Old Jan 8th 2006, 6:55 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation
Question Business accounting in Canada

I have asked this question b4, but didn't receive any helpful answerers, so here goes again.

We will shortly be moving to Ontario and run our own business. We want to know what is the best accounting package to buy for use in Canada. We currently use Quicken, but this is not compatible with Canadian taxation etc. I know there are packages such as Quickbooks and ibank (incidentally I need the package to be MAC compatible), but again we have this Canadian issue.

I anyone on this forum can recommend any good packages we could have a look at, we would be most grateful. We cannot be the only people in this situation, can we?

cheers
Jane
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:21 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business accounting in Canada

If you'll be using an accountant to balance your books at year end and complete your company's tax return, I think it might be best to buy software that is compatible with the software that your accountant uses.

Even if you make all of your own accounting entries throughout the year, I think there is merit in using an accountant for the year end stuff and the tax return. Then he/she can cast his/her eye over your books and make sure you've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's.

But I also recommend against waiting until year end to engage an accountant. I believe it would be best to consult one as soon as you arrive. He/she can help you to set up everything as effectively as possible.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:46 am
Bud
Forum Regular

Bud is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
I have asked this question b4, but didn't receive any helpful answerers, so here goes again.

We will shortly be moving to Ontario and run our own business. We want to know what is the best accounting package to buy for use in Canada. We currently use Quicken, but this is not compatible with Canadian taxation etc. I know there are packages such as Quickbooks and ibank (incidentally I need the package to be MAC compatible), but again we have this Canadian issue.

I anyone on this forum can recommend any good packages we could have a look at, we would be most grateful. We cannot be the only people in this situation, can we?

cheers
Jane
Hi,

Did you consider switching to the Canadian version of Quicken? I started using Quicken 2006 for my personal finances a couple of months ago (used quickbooks before that) and it's been great. They have Quick Books-Canadian addition for small businesses too, and I believe it is also capable of preparing your taxes. Their Canadian web site is www.intuit.ca

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

wickham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Canada Jane

cheers
Jane
Hi Jane,

I would be interested to hear the replies as we are in a similar situation I think? We currently run our own business in the UK and will be running a business in Canada. I use Sage in the UK and am currently trying to find out if there is a Canadian version. Out of interest, have you applied via the business route or skilled worker?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If you'll be using an accountant to balance your books at year end and complete your company's tax return, I think it might be best to buy software that is compatible with the software that your accountant uses.

Even if you make all of your own accounting entries throughout the year, I think there is merit in using an accountant for the year end stuff and the tax return. Then he/she can cast his/her eye over your books and make sure you've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's.

But I also recommend against waiting until year end to engage an accountant. I believe it would be best to consult one as soon as you arrive. He/she can help you to set up everything as effectively as possible.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Judy, this is pretty much what we do in the UK. I keep all our accounts for the year, but then our accountant goes through everything at the end of the year and submits the tax foms for us.

Of course, the key then is finding a good accountant, preferably one who understands the transfer of UK accounts to Canada.

Thanks
Jane
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bud
Hi,

Did you consider switching to the Canadian version of Quicken? I started using Quicken 2006 for my personal finances a couple of months ago (used quickbooks before that) and it's been great. They have Quick Books-Canadian addition for small businesses too, and I believe it is also capable of preparing your taxes. Their Canadian web site is www.intuit.ca

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply.

The Quicken for Mac which I would need is only the personal version, so would not be suitable for a business. it also says this on the site relating to

"Intuit Canada no longer sells Quicken for Mac, however, the U.S. version (Quicken for Mac 2006) can be purchased and configured for Canadian use."

However there a windows version Quicken Suite 2006 which might be of use to others which is completely Canadian and is suitable for home businesses.

regards
Jane
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by wickham
Hi Jane,

I would be interested to hear the replies as we are in a similar situation I think? We currently run our own business in the UK and will be running a business in Canada. I use Sage in the UK and am currently trying to find out if there is a Canadian version. Out of interest, have you applied via the business route or skilled worker?
Hi Wickham

We applied through skilled worker, not enough capital to apply through the business route unfortunately.

You might be interested in Quickbooks which is pretty comprehensive. Again I have the problem with mac compatability. "Intuit Canada no longer sells QuickBooks Accounts for Mac, however, the U.S. version (QuickBooks Pro for Mac) can be purchased and configured for Canadian use."

They do however do several windows versions.

Jane
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:37 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Try Turtle Creek Software
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:20 pm
sarahmac

sarahmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jane,

Interesting, just wandered in to this thread....We also currently run our own business in the UK and are wondering whether the best route to apply to get in to Canada (BC/Alberta) will be via the business route or skilled worker.....which are you opting for?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by sarahmac
Interesting, just wandered in to this thread....We also currently run our own business in the UK and are wondering whether the best route to apply to get in to Canada (BC/Alberta) will be via the business route or skilled worker.....which are you opting for?
In order to apply via business route you need to have plently of dosh - which we don't have! So we applied via skilled worker and had our meds at the beginning of Dec, waiting for PPR now.

Have you looked into the PNP route? This is generally much quicker, depending on your skills and those needed by the province.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:14 pm

Yesterday I contacted MYOB to see if they have a solution to accounting packages in Canada. I asked if they had a Canadian version and if it ran off mac.

This is the answer I have just received - in its entirety!

"There is no more Canadian mac myob only windows"

So there it is then - if you are moving to Canada and want an accounting package for windows you can get MYOB, but us mac users are forgotten again.

Looks like I might have to keep my PC just to run an accounting package when we move!

Jane
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:31 pm
millymolly

mandyrawlinson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jane,

i can tell you that sage are based in richmond, vancouver, if thats any help.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by [email protected]
i can tell you that sage are based in richmond, vancouver, if thats any help.
Thanks for that - I guess they definitely have a Canadian version then! Which I am pleased about - one less thing to adapt too.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sarahmac
Hi Sarahmac

We've already received our visas via the Entreprenneur route and it was quick only a year (although they do state that they aren't processed seperately to skilled work in our case they must have been!!). As well as meeting the entreprenneur criteria you need a certain amount of worth (I think $300k off top of my head) which can include your personal assets e.g. your house capital. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 8:11 pm
sarahmac

sarahmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sarahmac

We've already received our visas via the Entreprenneur route and it was quick only a year (although they do state that they aren't processed seperately to skilled work in our case they must have been!!). As well as meeting the entreprenneur criteria you need a certain amount of worth (I think $300k off top of my head) which can include your personal assets e.g. your house capital. Hope this helps.
Thanks, what field is your business in? And what area of Canada are you off to? And by the way - well done - a year - you obviously did something right!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.