Bunac and IEC

Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

lindabey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bunac and IEC

Hi , Ive been reading some really informative posts. just something im not too sure on and hope someone can put me right.
My son is coming out to Vancouver this year on the Bunac and I understand he cant get an extension with this but he can apply for IEC for another year.
How soon into his Bunac year would he have to apply for this should it
be a couple of months before his Bunac one would be due to run out?.
And I understand that he will have to get another police check done from the U.K. I understand that he will have to put an address in Canada that he is
living at at the time . Will they still be able to do a check even if hes not
been living in the Country for the best part of a year.
Does the IEC run only for a year like the Bunac, he would like to stay in Canada permanently so he will be looking for a job and with the extra year it gives him
just a little more time.
Thank you for all your help all the answers have been so helpful to me.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bunac and IEC

bunac and IEC are the same thing.

Bunac is just a separate company that offers IEC visas. They offer some additional help to applicants but cost a lot more money. Prior to this year, you could only get an IEC visa through bunac, from february this year, you can apply to IEC direct and save some money. Check the IEC UK website for the answers to your questions.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chanceUK
bunac and IEC are the same thing.

Bunac is just a separate company that offers IEC visas. They offer some additional help to applicants but cost a lot more money. Prior to this year, you could only get an IEC visa through bunac, from february this year, you can apply to IEC direct and save some money. Check the IEC UK website for the answers to your questions.
Many thanks for your reply.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

helen_from_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi lindabay,

I'm in the same situation as your son. I arrived in Canada last July on a BUNAC visa and while I was here the process changed and IEC started.

As soon as I found out about IEC I tried to do as much info-finding as possible as I wasn't sure if I could apply from inside Canada without going back to the UK first etc... the information at the time was sparse as this new scheme seems to only just be getting off the ground.

I've got my new UK police certificates - albeit through my parents sending the forms in the UK - as there was a £65 surcharge to apply from here, and I've sent my forms off to IEC in Paris.

My understanding - well the way I want it to pan out for me if I get the IEC is that I just leave the country i.e. go to the States for the day and re-enter Canada to activate the 2nd visa.

I applied in February as this was when I found out about the new scheme - had I known earlier I would have done it earlier as in my experience last year theres so much bureaucracy and its a slow arduous process so allow as much time as possible.

Let me know if theres anything else you need to know!

Hope all goes well.

Helen
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by helen_from_uk
Hi lindabay,

I'm in the same situation as your son. I arrived in Canada last July on a BUNAC visa and while I was here the process changed and IEC started.

As soon as I found out about IEC I tried to do as much info-finding as possible as I wasn't sure if I could apply from inside Canada without going back to the UK first etc... the information at the time was sparse as this new scheme seems to only just be getting off the ground.

I've got my new UK police certificates - albeit through my parents sending the forms in the UK - as there was a £65 surcharge to apply from here, and I've sent my forms off to IEC in Paris.

My understanding - well the way I want it to pan out for me if I get the IEC is that I just leave the country i.e. go to the States for the day and re-enter Canada to activate the 2nd visa.

I applied in February as this was when I found out about the new scheme - had I known earlier I would have done it earlier as in my experience last year theres so much bureaucracy and its a slow arduous process so allow as much time as possible.

Let me know if theres anything else you need to know!

Hope all goes well.

Helen
Hi Helen

Thanks for your post. very helpful. Did you put the toronto address on your iec form when you applied for the Police certificate.
Are you enjoying it out there , one of my sons friends is also in Toronto on a Bunac at the moment. Please keep my updated how your IEC pans out , i would be really interested to know.
Thats a good idea, I could leave another Police application form and photos and money with his grandparents in England and they could send it off for him the following year. Are you trying to get a job to stay out there for good .
He is planning to go to Vancouver , thanks for information.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

helen_from_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lindabey
Hi Helen

Thanks for your post. very helpful. Did you put the toronto address on your iec form when you applied for the Police certificate.
Are you enjoying it out there , one of my sons friends is also in Toronto on a Bunac at the moment. Please keep my updated how your IEC pans out , i would be really interested to know.
Thats a good idea, I could leave another Police application form and photos and money with his grandparents in England and they could send it off for him the following year. Are you trying to get a job to stay out there for good .
He is planning to go to Vancouver , thanks for information.

Hello,

I put my UK address (my mom and dads house not the last place I was living) as my address, because I didn't see how the UK police could determine whether or not I had committed a crime in Toronto?! If you wwere to put a foreign address as a correspondance address they add a £65 'processing and posting fee'.

As regards to IEC I got an email yesterday from the Canadian embassy in Paris saying they had received my application and it would take them 6 weeks to process it. Today I got am email saying I was provisionally accepted!! 1 day processing time thats impressive!!

So far I'm loving it out here and I would love to stay!