British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Building A House In Vancouver (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/building-house-vancouver-699746/)

ljay101 Jan 8th 2011 5:35 pm

Building A House In Vancouver

Hi Everyone

We are new to Vancouver and are thinking about building our own home in the next couple of years.

Would be great to hear any advice, thoughts people might have. Rough cost ideas would be sweet also.

We are looking to build a 3 Bedroom House around $CAD 550,000, commutable to down town with out car, somewhere with green space around us.

Thanks People
Louis

Alan2005 Jan 8th 2011 6:25 pm

Re: Building A House In Vancouver

Originally Posted by ljay101 (Post 9086796)
Hi Everyone

We are new to Vancouver and are thinking about building our own home in the next couple of years.

Would be great to hear any advice, thoughts people might have. Rough cost ideas would be sweet also.

We are looking to build a 3 Bedroom House around $CAD 550,000, commutable to down town with out car, somewhere with green space around us.

Thanks People
Louis

Good luck with that. The land alone will probably set you back considerably more than your budget.

To actually build your house I'm going to guess somewhere around $250k depending on your sqft requirements; R I C H who posts here has built houses so he'll be able to give you a better idea.

ExKiwilass Jan 8th 2011 6:40 pm

I think you should be thinking more $700-$800 CAD at least. Land value around $500K (though you may be able to find cheaper, it's unlikely to be much less than that) then like Alan says a few hundred grand for the house itself. that's assuming you don't have to demo a house that's already there.

On the other hand, if you mean greater Vancouver not Van proper, maybe you could find some cheaper land close to the west coast express line - maybe Abby or Mission or somehwere like that. Maple Ridge. etc.

Alan2005 Jan 8th 2011 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 9086881)
I think you should be thinking more $700-$800 CAD at least. Land value around $500K (though you may be able to find cheaper, it's unlikely to be much less than that) then like Alan says a few hundred grand for the house itself. that's assuming you don't have to demo a house that's already there.

On the other hand, if you mean greater Vancouver not Van proper, maybe you could find some cheaper land close to the west coast express line - maybe Abby or Mission or somehwere like that. Maple Ridge. etc.

His budget would go quite a long way out here (Maple Ridge). It's just about possible to commute to downtown without a car if he could get close enough to the west coast express. But actually living out here without a car? I don't think it's do-able.

JonboyE Jan 8th 2011 7:21 pm

There is not much point in building your own home unless you are going to build something decent, so the OP should be budgeting about $200 per square foot - maybe a bit more if they are going really high-end in the kitchen and bathrooms. So a 2,000 sf home will cost about $400,000 to build.

R I C H Jan 8th 2011 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 9086936)
There is not much point in building your own home unless you are going to build something decent, so the OP should be budgeting about $200 per square foot - maybe a bit more if they are going really high-end in the kitchen and bathrooms. So a 2,000 sf home will cost about $400,000 to build.

^ This.

$200 sq/ft will build you something 'average'. $250-$275 sq/ft is a better estimate for the inevitable cost over-runs, and for higher quality fixture/fittings.

ljay101 Jan 12th 2011 5:18 am

Thanks to you all for the information!! I think we had better head back to the drawing board!

Thanks again for the help

All The Best
Louis

Tracywall Jan 15th 2011 1:49 am

Originally Posted by ljay101 (Post 9095051)
Thanks to you all for the information!! I think we had better head back to the drawing board!

Thanks again for the help

All The Best
Louis

You shouldn't give up just yet... go round some local builders and get estimates. We recently built a house it is in Kamloops so pricing is maybe cheaper than Van but nevertheless it shows what you can do on a relatively modest budget. Our build cost was $400k This is our house http://www.aandt.ca/residentialwallbankresidence.htm. :):)

ducktastic Jan 15th 2011 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Tracywall (Post 9102549)
You shouldn't give up just yet... go round some local builders and get estimates. We recently built a house it is in Kamloops so pricing is maybe cheaper than Van but nevertheless it shows what you can do on a relatively modest budget. Our build cost was $400k This is our house http://www.aandt.ca/residentialwallbankresidence.htm. :):)

I am moving to Kamloops!!
Seriously....fab house, congrats!

mhhp Jan 15th 2011 8:03 am

Vancouver is very expensive and cannot be compared in any way (neither land nor building price) with the Interior. We just moved to the coast renting now but were looking into build or buy.

Land prices for the typical 33*122ft lot are basically 1M on the west side,700k$ east side, 500k$ in Burnaby, Delta, Surrey (perhaps with slightly larger lots) The price for an empty lot is about the same as for one with a crappy old house on it.

As for building cost: It is virtually impossible to build below 250$/sqft in Van unless you do everything yourself and dont count your labour cost.

Having said that Vancouver is the most incredible city in North America, so if you can afford I guess in a way it is worth it, if not........;)

Sir mhhp

JonboyE Jan 15th 2011 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by mhhp (Post 9102914)
As for building cost: It is virtually impossible to build below 250$/sqft in Van unless you do everything yourself and dont count your labour cost.

If you do decide to go ahead then get in touch and I can recommend a few project managers who can bring in a nice custom home much nearer the $200 psf mark.

dbd33 Jan 16th 2011 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Tracywall (Post 9102549)

That looks kind of neat but, in the kitchen, I see no stove. I see no draining boards. Do you eat out all the time?

Tracywall Jan 16th 2011 3:51 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9104551)
That looks kind of neat but, in the kitchen, I see no stove. I see no draining boards. Do you eat out all the time?

LOL... I wish I could afford to eat out all the time. The stove is an electric cooktop and is on the other side of the raised granite countertop. Draining boards.... what do I need one of those for I have a dishwasher :p:p

Tracywall Jan 16th 2011 3:53 am

Originally Posted by ducktastic (Post 9102649)
I am moving to Kamloops!!
Seriously....fab house, congrats!

Yay! When are you moving? Why Kamloops? We love it here have been here for just over two years now and are 100% totally settled.

ducktastic Jan 16th 2011 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tracywall (Post 9104647)
Yay! When are you moving? Why Kamloops? We love it here have been here for just over two years now and are 100% totally settled.

Ah, not really moving to Kamloops ;) I was just amazed/green with envy at what was acheived by the poster for the cash there, as I am living in Vancouver and it would be quite impossible for that cash to achieve anything near this fab house!
Pleased you enjoy the 'Loops though, we are heading your direction in the next month for a ski.