Reload this Page >

Building A House In Vancouver

Building A House In Vancouver

Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

ljay101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Building A House In Vancouver

Hi Everyone

We are new to Vancouver and are thinking about building our own home in the next couple of years.

Would be great to hear any advice, thoughts people might have. Rough cost ideas would be sweet also.

We are looking to build a 3 Bedroom House around $CAD 550,000, commutable to down town with out car, somewhere with green space around us.

Thanks People
Louis
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:25 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building A House In Vancouver

Originally Posted by ljay101
Hi Everyone

We are new to Vancouver and are thinking about building our own home in the next couple of years.

Would be great to hear any advice, thoughts people might have. Rough cost ideas would be sweet also.

We are looking to build a 3 Bedroom House around $CAD 550,000, commutable to down town with out car, somewhere with green space around us.

Thanks People
Louis
Good luck with that. The land alone will probably set you back considerably more than your budget.

To actually build your house I'm going to guess somewhere around $250k depending on your sqft requirements; R I C H who posts here has built houses so he'll be able to give you a better idea.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:40 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should be thinking more $700-$800 CAD at least. Land value around $500K (though you may be able to find cheaper, it's unlikely to be much less than that) then like Alan says a few hundred grand for the house itself. that's assuming you don't have to demo a house that's already there.

On the other hand, if you mean greater Vancouver not Van proper, maybe you could find some cheaper land close to the west coast express line - maybe Abby or Mission or somehwere like that. Maple Ridge. etc.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jan 8th 2011 at 6:42 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:52 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I think you should be thinking more $700-$800 CAD at least. Land value around $500K (though you may be able to find cheaper, it's unlikely to be much less than that) then like Alan says a few hundred grand for the house itself. that's assuming you don't have to demo a house that's already there.

On the other hand, if you mean greater Vancouver not Van proper, maybe you could find some cheaper land close to the west coast express line - maybe Abby or Mission or somehwere like that. Maple Ridge. etc.
His budget would go quite a long way out here (Maple Ridge). It's just about possible to commute to downtown without a car if he could get close enough to the west coast express. But actually living out here without a car? I don't think it's do-able.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:21 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

There is not much point in building your own home unless you are going to build something decent, so the OP should be budgeting about $200 per square foot - maybe a bit more if they are going really high-end in the kitchen and bathrooms. So a 2,000 sf home will cost about $400,000 to build.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 8:48 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There is not much point in building your own home unless you are going to build something decent, so the OP should be budgeting about $200 per square foot - maybe a bit more if they are going really high-end in the kitchen and bathrooms. So a 2,000 sf home will cost about $400,000 to build.
^ This.

$200 sq/ft will build you something 'average'. $250-$275 sq/ft is a better estimate for the inevitable cost over-runs, and for higher quality fixture/fittings.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:18 am
Just Joined

ljay101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to you all for the information!! I think we had better head back to the drawing board!

Thanks again for the help

All The Best
Louis
Old Jan 15th 2011, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Tracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ljay101
Thanks to you all for the information!! I think we had better head back to the drawing board!

Thanks again for the help

All The Best
Louis

You shouldn't give up just yet... go round some local builders and get estimates. We recently built a house it is in Kamloops so pricing is maybe cheaper than Van but nevertheless it shows what you can do on a relatively modest budget. Our build cost was $400k This is our house http://www.aandt.ca/residentialwallbankresidence.htm.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracywall
You shouldn't give up just yet... go round some local builders and get estimates. We recently built a house it is in Kamloops so pricing is maybe cheaper than Van but nevertheless it shows what you can do on a relatively modest budget. Our build cost was $400k This is our house http://www.aandt.ca/residentialwallbankresidence.htm.
I am moving to Kamloops!!
Seriously....fab house, congrats!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:03 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Vancouver is very expensive and cannot be compared in any way (neither land nor building price) with the Interior. We just moved to the coast renting now but were looking into build or buy.

Land prices for the typical 33*122ft lot are basically 1M on the west side,700k$ east side, 500k$ in Burnaby, Delta, Surrey (perhaps with slightly larger lots) The price for an empty lot is about the same as for one with a crappy old house on it.

As for building cost: It is virtually impossible to build below 250$/sqft in Van unless you do everything yourself and dont count your labour cost.

Having said that Vancouver is the most incredible city in North America, so if you can afford I guess in a way it is worth it, if not........

Sir mhhp
Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mhhp
As for building cost: It is virtually impossible to build below 250$/sqft in Van unless you do everything yourself and dont count your labour cost.
If you do decide to go ahead then get in touch and I can recommend a few project managers who can bring in a nice custom home much nearer the $200 psf mark.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That looks kind of neat but, in the kitchen, I see no stove. I see no draining boards. Do you eat out all the time?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Tracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbd33
That looks kind of neat but, in the kitchen, I see no stove. I see no draining boards. Do you eat out all the time?
LOL... I wish I could afford to eat out all the time. The stove is an electric cooktop and is on the other side of the raised granite countertop. Draining boards.... what do I need one of those for I have a dishwasher
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ducktastic
I am moving to Kamloops!!
Seriously....fab house, congrats!

Yay! When are you moving? Why Kamloops? We love it here have been here for just over two years now and are 100% totally settled.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Yay! When are you moving? Why Kamloops? We love it here have been here for just over two years now and are 100% totally settled.
Ah, not really moving to Kamloops I was just amazed/green with envy at what was acheived by the poster for the cash there, as I am living in Vancouver and it would be quite impossible for that cash to achieve anything near this fab house!
Pleased you enjoy the 'Loops though, we are heading your direction in the next month for a ski.