Bugs

Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:34 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bugs

Originally Posted by nldfc
I used to always find the Muskol good but for some reason last year it seemed to act more as an attractant for the nippers - Citronella seems to be working for me this year and it seems to smell a bit better than the usual gear
Citronella is definitely working for me this year. I have hardly been bitten at all. Used Buzz Away bought from a local 'natural' store.

Blackfly bites bring me out in large itchy swellings but I do not react so badly to mozzies. Don't forget to spray hats and chairs - OH got bitten badly through a mesh chair
Old Jul 31st 2010, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly abnormally bad over here in Vancouver. It's putting me off doing the yard, or at least that's my excuse.

Thing is it's so bleedin' hot and dry I'm not sure where they're finding the water pools and the like to breed in?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 3:54 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
It's certainly abnormally bad over here in Vancouver. It's putting me off doing the yard, or at least that's my excuse.

Thing is it's so bleedin' hot and dry I'm not sure where they're finding the water pools and the like to breed in?
I remember 10 or 11 years ago the river level was unusually high on the lower mainland and mosquito eggs that had been dormant for years hatched as a result. Maybe same again?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:04 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr
I think we got off lightly last year (my first summer in AB). The mozzies have called in reinforcements this year. If I let them bite me enough times will I become immune?
I hear you on this one, Edmonton Mozzies are on the warpath!

I never got bothered by them before in the West End but they are everywhere I have lost count of my itchy bites but i'm sure I have about 20 now
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

does the citronella work for those blackfly as well?

I also read somewhere that taking vitamin B1 100mg daily for about 3 weeks before entering a bug infested zone is supposed to make your blood undesirable to female mozzies.
dont know if its any good when the season is in full swing though. would be interested hear from anyone who has tried it.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:30 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by heading-west
does the citronella work for those blackfly as well?

I also read somewhere that taking vitamin B1 100mg daily for about 3 weeks before entering a bug infested zone is supposed to make your blood undesirable to female mozzies.
dont know if its any good when the season is in full swing though. would be interested hear from anyone who has tried it.
apparently so does eating lots of garlic but that just means no other bugger ... human / insect or animal will come near you either!
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scottandsel
apparently so does eating lots of garlic but that just means no other bugger ... human / insect or animal will come near you either!
lol sounds like a plan !
Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm I eat loads of garlic, douse myself in citronella and the DEET containing mosquito repellents - and the buggers still bite me!

I must smell irresistible to them for some reason... I only have to go outside to call the kids in for dinner and I will get a couple of bites.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by R I C H
We don't get many here, but I use this when moving irrigation in the early evening, and it seems to work a treat: http://www.muskol.com/en/home/
We've switched to using Muskol this year and find it more effective than the brand we were using last year (think it was off).

I have to take clarytin all through the summer as I react quite badly to bug bites. I also have a box of benadryl to deal with more severe reactions like my arms swelling up to twice the size. I'm hoping a few years down the line and I won't have to take the medication all through the summer.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:24 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rgilbert
We've switched to using Muskol this year and find it more effective than the brand we were using last year (think it was off).

I have to take clarytin all through the summer as I react quite badly to bug bites. I also have a box of benadryl to deal with more severe reactions like my arms swelling up to twice the size. I'm hoping a few years down the line and I won't have to take the medication all through the summer.
what is that in your avatar ... looks like a rabbit with no eyes or something ... just curious is all
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

what is that in your avatar ... looks like a rabbit with no eyes or something ... just curious is all
erm...just what have you done to that poor dog in yours ?!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold

It's a rabbit and he did have eyes :-). Must be the unflattering camera angle.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:36 pm
not wired right

Originally Posted by heading-west
erm...just what have you done to that poor dog in yours ?!
what dog?

It's a rabbit and he did have eyes :-). Must be the unflattering camera angle.
it must be ...
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:20 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Here's part of mthe answer to the mosquito biting problem. Don't drink alcohol or beer. It must be correct as part of the study was done in UK.

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/news...-how-you-smell
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat005 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to take clarytin all through the summer as I react quite badly to bug bites.
i can react pretty bad to bites and find that taking cetirizine (zirtek) every day really helps with the reaction and i barely notice them. when i forget i really itch!

I recently used pharmacy first in the UK and bought 6 months supply of zirtek substitute for 5pence for 30 tablets plus £3.95 delivery. they're a bit more expensive now (14pence!!) here is the link

i'd definatley recommend those going over soon in taking these with them!

on a side has anyone tried the vitamin B1 patches? do they actualy work or is just hype?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.