Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buffalo wings and 7 seater SUV?

Buffalo wings and 7 seater SUV?

Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buffalo wings and 7 seater SUV?

Originally Posted by rae
get rid of it before then, or go independent for that type of work, save a fortune.
Well its a 2006 and paid for so apart from the servicing isn't costing anything, I was planning on running it into the ground, when the next belt is due I'll get someone to do it, my OH Dodge is much easier to work on, the Mits is all computerized and enclosed, Crappy Tire would not even attempt the belt for me, I have a customer now who is the service manager there so I'll see if any of the boys do homers.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:47 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
how many weeks before the morgan makes an appearance?
I unearthed it from the garage a couple of weekends ago for a quick run to shake down and check all the relevant bits were still attached. This weekend it'll have a bit of TLC (oil change and grease/lube where appropriate - steering, front suspension, check the diff and gearbox fluids, etc) to get ready for the summer. The forecast here is for sunshine and mid-teens temperatures, so it's about time it saw the light of day.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:15 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I unearthed it from the garage a couple of weekends ago for a quick run to shake down and check all the relevant bits were still attached. This weekend it'll have a bit of TLC (oil change and grease/lube where appropriate - steering, front suspension, check the diff and gearbox fluids, etc) to get ready for the summer. The forecast here is for sunshine and mid-teens temperatures, so it's about time it saw the light of day.
nice, hope you have a good one.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:16 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
there is a journeyman mechanic now operating his own business on the calgary trail north of the whitemud. if i think on i'll get his details for you, done work for others i work with and recommended as reliable and fairly priced.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
what on earth are they doing to it for $900?
From the bill (summarized)

Service 198.00
Filters and fluids about 150.00

Determine brake caliper stuck 99.00
New caliper 259.87

Headlamp bulb 24.21
Installation 19.80

Rear light lens 39.08

Tot parts 475.11
Tot labour 316.80
Sales tax 103.47

The bill usually consists of 350 for the basic service, fifty bucks for a headlamp bulb and some other item for $300 or so. The latter varies.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Budgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really nice

One option I haven't seen suggested for a 7 seater SUV in your price range would be a 2004 - 2006 Suzuki XL-7 (effectively a stretched Grand Vitara), comes standard with switchable rwd/4wd.

Probably smaller in size then other suv suggestions so far.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

redneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to all

The thing I don't understand in canada is why the lack of diesel SUV's?

Wouldn't towing a trailer with a petrol engine SUV be a tad thirsty?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:32 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redneckboy

It's the taxis I don't understand. I was in a taxi and he was moaning about the fuel he had to put into his vehicle every day. I don't know why a cab company run a fleet of, say, Mercedes diesel saloons.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

redneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to allredneckboy is a name known to all

I own a dodge nitro in the Uk, it has a 2.8l diesel engine. It gets around high 20's mpg

The irony is, the american built dodge is only for export in a diesel.

I doubt it would get much more than 10-12mpg under load with the 4.0l petrol engine.

Can't quite get my head around it.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budgie1
One option I haven't seen suggested for a 7 seater SUV in your price range would be a 2004 - 2006 Suzuki XL-7 (effectively a stretched Grand Vitara), comes standard with switchable rwd/4wd.

Probably smaller in size then other suv suggestions so far.
I have an 05 XL7, albeit the 5 seat version. Happy so far with it but only owned it 2 weeks.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:04 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redneckboy

Until relatively recently the availability of cleaner diesel that modern oil burning engines require just wasn't there - a lack of infrastructure to fuel vehicles appropriately means a lack of demand for those vehicles.

I recently made the decision to buy a gas SUV rather than it's diesel alternative - the price differential was ultimately too large to make the diesel a sensible economic choice. Servicing was more expensive for the diesel vehicle, and diesel fuel savings vs. mpg returns didn't make the option compelling enough.

WRT towing (the main reason I needed an SUV), the diesel torque was nice, but the turbo lag wasn't. The gas engine was ultimately more powerful, and torquier at low revs, so easier to get a large load rolling.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 2:05 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by dbd33
From the bill (summarized)

Service 198.00
Filters and fluids about 150.00

Determine brake caliper stuck 99.00
New caliper 259.87

Headlamp bulb 24.21
Installation 19.80

Rear light lens 39.08

Tot parts 475.11
Tot labour 316.80
Sales tax 103.47

The bill usually consists of 350 for the basic service, fifty bucks for a headlamp bulb and some other item for $300 or so. The latter varies.
Nightmare. Is it me or do vehicles cost more to run over here, don't remember ever spending this amount of time or cash on vehicles and I have owned 2 alfas!!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon-n-Suzanne
Strange questions I know ... I'll separate for ease!

We've been in Calgary for a week now and O/H is still buying buffalo wings everywhere we go trying to find the best ones! In order to prevent his waistline from expanding unnecessarily can anyone recommend the best ones in calgary?

Also we have been searching for a 7 seater SUV (hope to spend lots of time skiing after very heavy snow fall and just know friends from the UK wont hire their own blardy car!!!!!). Anyway we are now totally confused as to what to look for. Thinking an 06 or 07 for about $15000 is this realistic and if so what type?
We have been gone from Calgary for over a year now but the best wings were always at Studio 52 on Heritage Drive (near the Heritage train station off of McLeod Trail). Many different flavours and 10 cents each on Saturday afternoons
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:06 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
Nightmare. Is it me or do vehicles cost more to run over here, don't remember ever spending this amount of time or cash on vehicles and I have owned 2 alfas!!
Mmmm, Alfas....

I have owned over ten (though mostly in the UK and not one at the moment). You know they say you always come back....

Great cars.

My last two in the UK and one from Vancouver:
Attached Thumbnails Buffalo wings and 7 seater SUV?-alfa.jpg   Buffalo wings and 7 seater SUV?-5893.jpg  
Old Mar 17th 2010, 4:49 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Finally got the Lotus back up and running http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pax92...eature=channel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.