Reload this Page >

Broadband Map of Canada / BBC iPlayer

Broadband Map of Canada / BBC iPlayer

Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

ralphster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Broadband Map of Canada / BBC iPlayer

Hey folks,

If you are struggling to pinpoint a good place to settle in Canada and access to high speed Internet access is really important to you (maybe for your work etc), check out this Broadband Map I found:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/720.nsf/eng/h_50010.html

Also, the BBC are going to make their iplayer availble worldwide soon (https://iplayer.bbcworldwide.com and http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...western-europe). Be interested to see how that all works (but without decent net speeds it won't!)

To think I could be taking BBC with me to Canada and also be able to watch Saturday 3pm footie games on Cable... Heaven!
Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband Map of Canada / BBC iPlayer

Originally Posted by ralphster
Hey folks,

If you are struggling to pinpoint a good place to settle in Canada and access to high speed Internet access is really important to you (maybe for your work etc), check out this Broadband Map I found:

Also, the BBC are going to make their iplayer availble worldwide soon (https://iplayer.bbcworldwide.com and http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...western-europe). Be interested to see how that all works (but without decent net speeds it won't!)

To think I could be taking BBC with me to Canada and also be able to watch Saturday 3pm footie games on Cable... Heaven!
That's ludicrously optimistic for Ontario. They must count everywhere that a stick will works sometimes if you stand on the barn roof.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ralphster
Hey folks,

Don't want to state the obvious but you could do that easily if you stayed in the UK.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:44 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's ludicrously optimistic for Ontario. They must count everywhere that a stick will works sometimes if you stand on the barn roof.
I think you might be being overkind for once. The map certainly doesnt tie in with experience in my area. I think that were either cable or DSL available as the map claims, that I might be using one or other...
Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:54 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Those nice folks from Bell (or their contractors) are currently installing fibre optic cables on the poles around this part of the world. Fibre Optic to the door and 170Mbps internet connection will shortly be available. OK, the 170Mbps service is likely $250 a month but the 30Mbs service and digital tv looks interesting.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 8:32 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
OK, the 170Mbps service is likely $250 a month...
And the bandwidth shared across NL
Old Jun 30th 2011, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

helcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond repute

Those nice folks from Bell (or their contractors) are currently installing fibre optic cables on the poles around this part of the world. Fibre Optic to the door and 170Mbps internet connection will shortly be available. OK, the 170Mbps service is likely $250 a month but the 30Mbs service and digital tv looks interesting.
We have the 30MB Fire-Op here in Fredericton. They've just upgraded to Fibre-Op 2, so now we get 3 megs a second upload and download - constantly. Awesome
Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:05 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Just converted over from having Rogers 6mb int with 60GIG cap and Bell Sat HD to total Fibre OP package including 30 up 30 down service on internet.

So far impressed with internet. Had a 7.1 GIG free game to download from Sony as an apology for being hacked - previously Rogers reported it would take 270 minutes to download. On the Bell Fibre Op it took 37 minutes.

The HD TV has some very useful features ( multi room PVR without need for multi PVRs etc. However, the HD picture quality is far worse than Bell Sat HD unfortunately.

I will have to see whether I can live with it ( much more artefacts, pixelation etc )