Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

brits2kelowna?

brits2kelowna?

Old Mar 15th 2006, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

love_it_here will become famous soon enoughlove_it_here will become famous soon enough
Default brits2kelowna?

When my husband and I lived in Vancouver, we used to belong to the brits2vancouver forum on Yahoo run by Clare (thank you Clare!). Part of this was that we had regular meetups downtown - usually a pub or restaurant meal. It was great fun and a chance to meet other people who had been through or going through the same process. We made lots of friends through this and still keep in touch with them now.

Would any one who is living in Kelowna or planning to move here be interested in belonging to a brits2kelowna group if we set one up?

Lets us know and if there is enough interest, we will look into how to set one up on Yahoo!

Thanks,

Georgina and Jon Parton
Old Mar 15th 2006, 4:41 am
Just Joined

saltydoll is on a distinguished road
Default Re: brits2kelowna?

Originally Posted by love_it_here
When my husband and I lived in Vancouver, we used to belong to the brits2vancouver forum on Yahoo run by Clare (thank you Clare!). Part of this was that we had regular meetups downtown - usually a pub or restaurant meal. It was great fun and a chance to meet other people who had been through or going through the same process. We made lots of friends through this and still keep in touch with them now.

Would any one who is living in Kelowna or planning to move here be interested in belonging to a brits2kelowna group if we set one up?

Lets us know and if there is enough interest, we will look into how to set one up on Yahoo!

Thanks,

Georgina and Jon Parton

Hi Georgina and Jon,

We're arriving in July and would love the idea of meeting up with a few fellow Brits. I know you get hammered on this forum if you admit to wanting to meet anyone who doesn't meet your best irony with a blank, far away stare ...but what the hell, let's live a little.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:10 am
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

Good idea! We will be bumming around Canada during the summer, but will be househunting around there in September (assuming we don't find somewhere better along the way!) so please keep us posted! And we'll get hammered over there.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:35 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah nice one, count me in
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:32 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

as a complete Yahoo Floosie I suggest you go for it (it costs nothing to set up after all!!) Anything that helps folk settle in is good news!

B2V is quite busy, but has about 700 members who organise lots of pub trips (which is why it is so popular one feels )

Might be best if you also direct folk to Nessie Oggie's forum too (eg on B2V's front page we direct folk to Van-immi too...)

Can I suggest you have a couple of moderators (I know of too many groups which fail due to the owner being absent when the trolls have joined

TTFN
clare

Last edited by ClareBC; Mar 16th 2006 at 12:33 pm. Reason: spelling!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

love_it_here will become famous soon enoughlove_it_here will become famous soon enough

Hi Clare,

Thanks for the advice.

Of course we can link up with Nessie's site, I think her's is for the whole OK though and they don't have any social events so hopefully she wont mind!

Jon is going to set this up over the next few weeks, once he has got his birthday over with.

Cheers,

Georgina

Originally Posted by ClareBC
as a complete Yahoo Floosie I suggest you go for it (it costs nothing to set up after all!!) Anything that helps folk settle in is good news!

B2V is quite busy, but has about 700 members who organise lots of pub trips (which is why it is so popular one feels )

Might be best if you also direct folk to Nessie Oggie's forum too (eg on B2V's front page we direct folk to Van-immi too...)

Can I suggest you have a couple of moderators (I know of too many groups which fail due to the owner being absent when the trolls have joined

TTFN
clare
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Hi Georgina,

Good idea, count us in. How are you - long time no hear.

Louise

PS Can't believe we have been here 9 months!

Hi Clare,

Thanks for the advice.

Of course we can link up with Nessie's site, I think her's is for the whole OK though and they don't have any social events so hopefully she wont mind!

Jon is going to set this up over the next few weeks, once he has got his birthday over with.

Cheers,

Georgina
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
Hi Georgina,

Good idea, count us in. How are you - long time no hear.

Louise

PS Can't believe we have been here 9 months!

We are doing great...still love it here. Jons is up skiing whenever he can and I have set up my own business so have lots to do. We have lots of nice neighbours and we are really looking forward to summer. Thought we would set up the brits2kelowna site so we could all offer tips to newcomers , share experiences and organise some social events such as curry nights etc!
How are you finding life here? Which bit of the mission are you in ?
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Thanks very much for the mention, Clare! We'd actually anticpated doing the same thing, but were waiting for the community to grow on our site.

I think it's a great idea... best of luck with the site everyone.

Oggy
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Haven’t been on site much lately as I am back in the UK tying up some business interests, wife and kids in Summerland though, Must have missed Nessie site as well will pay it a visit and introduce us. May I suggest though Georgina and Jon that you take all of the Okanagan in, as there are quite a few off us red neck country bumpkins that don’t live in the big city that may participate.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Haven’t been on site much lately as I am back in the UK tying up some business interests, wife and kids in Summerland though, Must have missed Nessie site as well will pay it a visit and introduce us. May I suggest though Georgina and Jon that you take all of the Okanagan in, as there are quite a few off us red neck country bumpkins that don’t live in the big city that may participate.
Hi Mike!

I remember when you were moving & bought your home in Summerland (very nice btw). Hope you're settling into the valley nicely now.

One of the reasons we choose to cover the Okanagan Valley was so anyone looking for information, including outside of the main cities, would find sources through the people involved in the site. In time, the gatherings will come together! Thank you for coming by and contributing to its growth.

Cheers!

Oggy (Moops)
Old Mar 17th 2006, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: brits2kelowna?

I couldn't help but notice the "Curry" word above, it's made me VERY hungry *major chuckles* (and it's only 9:39am here!)

If there is one thing i missed having come to the Okanagan from Scotland, it had to be a good curry, but thankfully in the last few months, i've hinged onto a good local Take-Away, so i'm a happy bunny in that respect.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

mugginflapps is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

Georgina and Jon Parton
we move to Kelowna in May, we would be really interested. My email address will be [email protected].
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

QUOTE=mugginflapps]we move to Kelowna in May, we would be really
interested. My email address will be [email protected].[/QUOTE]

Just to let everyone know, I have set up the Brits2Kelowna groups on yahoo groups...I am just tweaking it, putting on some links and it should be operational by the weekend! Hope to see you on it soon. I shall post the link when it is ready to use. I am hoping to have our first curry night in May so you all you newbies can all meet up and chow down on some chicken biryani or whatever is your pleasure!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

mugginflapps is an unknown quantity at this point

QUOTE=mugginflapps]we move to Kelowna in May, we would be really
interested. My email address will be [email protected].

Just to let everyone know, I have set up the Brits2Kelowna groups on yahoo groups...I am just tweaking it, putting on some links and it should be operational by the weekend! Hope to see you on it soon. I shall post the link when it is ready to use. I am hoping to have our first curry night in May so you all you newbies can all meet up and chow down on some chicken biryani or whatever is your pleasure! [/QUOTE]

great scheme will look forward to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.