Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Brits in Winnipeg

Brits in Winnipeg

Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

MapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really nice
Default Brits in Winnipeg

This might be a stupid idea, but I'll give it a try anyway.....

I'm here in Canada (duh) ... I know all of, 3 people to talk to, apart from that I'm a bit of a loaner. I can't work as I'm on a visiting visa for the time being.

Now, I know I'm not the only Brit living in Winnipeg. I was wondering if anyone there were any others out there in the same situation as me. Maybe we could all meet up?

It doesn't have to be a bar or anything... I know some of you have kids, how about Bowling or something along those lines?

just an idea
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits in Winnipeg

I'm completely rubbish at meeting up with people from here as several will confirm, but wanted to suggest the meet-ups CrazyDaisy from this forum organises... http://britexpat.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 . I haven't managed to make it to any but from invites I've seen they go to restaurants, pubs, trips on the Prairie Dog etc etc.

If someone from here wants to arrange something, I'll make a real effort to be there, but like you say, no wild drinking session or anything as I'll have to leave early. Can't get my head around this letting 12yr olds babysit thing, but can't find anyone older to do it...

Whereabouts are you anyway? I saw a Welsh dragon on a house in neighbouring street the other day and wondered if that was you! Mr B is from just outside Newport but doesn't like to admit it...
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

MapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really nice

Thanks for the info, I'm in the Fort Richmond area... actually on a welsh names street... how crazy is that?!
how about you, which area are you?
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Can't seem to post on that site you gave me Biiink and I can't find any contact details either... I think I'm having a thick day!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:19 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MapleDragon
Thanks for the info, I'm in the Fort Richmond area... actually on a welsh names street... how crazy is that?!
how about you, which area are you?

There's at least 5 on this site on where on here.

crazy daisy was in St Vital by the rvier
scrdarren in your area if they haven't move out of town yet
Biiiiink
me and you

Have you checked out the Brit Shop on Academy Road about 299 yards on the left from r90 ( Kenaston bridge turn East ) they have been here a while.

Brits I've met live all over the city most don't come here tho. So keep your ears open for those accents.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

I have heard a few Brits (mostly northerners) however theyve been pretty elderly. I don't mean that in a bad way, being only in my twenties, on my own(partner is Canadian) and I'm actually quite shy, I find it hard to strike up a conversation with someone who's that much older than myself.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:55 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Then go to the Brit store I think the owner or Owners daughter can't remember who was working for who is about your age, buying a few things will help break the ice and so where do you hang out question and away you go.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grah
Then go to the Brit store I think the owner or Owners daughter can't remember who was working for who is about your age, buying a few things will help break the ice and so where do you hang out question and away you go.
brits store? sounds like I've been missing out on something here!.... where is it?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

onlyme1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi MapleGragon

We live just outside Winnipeg and used to post on this forum quite a while ago. Actually that long ago that I can’t remember our old user name and had to register again as a new member hence this being my first post.

We have been here for 3 month now on work visas and did our landing as PR on Saturday. We are loving it so far but I know what you mean by only having a few people to talk too. So I think meeting up sounds like a great idea, I have got two children aged 16 & 13 so don’t quite fall into the 20 year age group but would not call myself old either. If you want send me a PM and we can arrange something.

Ang
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

We're way out Portage, almost at Unicity. I've heard of Fort Richmond but I can't find my map...where is it? Ditto for Kenaston, where's that and what's in the store?

Shall we all arrange sth then?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:54 pm
Happy in Canada.

The Brit shop is on Academy, As you go along Route 90 over the bridge (from Polo Park) you turn left then on the right in a little strip Mall is the Brit shop, If you get to railway lines you've gone to far.

If this google map works it should show you a little L shape set of buildings on the south side of the marker

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=from%3...&t=k&f=d&hl=en

Note it's starts in Stonewall as it was for someone else.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:11 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Hi We have just settled in our new home in the RM of Tache on 5 acres, so we would happily play host to a summer party etc. We too are new and would like to meet up with anyone, Brit or Canadian!
Crazy Daisy is the driving force behind Brit meet ups, and we are also guilty of being unable to attend for one reason or another- C.D. if you are listening, please can you PM me as my freeserve account has closed and that was how you use to contact us.

Darren, Sarah

Originally Posted by MapleDragon
This might be a stupid idea, but I'll give it a try anyway.....

I'm here in Canada (duh) ... I know all of, 3 people to talk to, apart from that I'm a bit of a loaner. I can't work as I'm on a visiting visa for the time being.

Now, I know I'm not the only Brit living in Winnipeg. I was wondering if anyone there were any others out there in the same situation as me. Maybe we could all meet up?

It doesn't have to be a bar or anything... I know some of you have kids, how about Bowling or something along those lines?

just an idea
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

onlyme1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi We have just settled in our new home in the RM of Tache on 5 acres, so we would happily play host to a summer party etc. We too are new and would like to meet up with anyone, Brit or Canadian!
Crazy Daisy is the driving force behind Brit meet ups, and we are also guilty of being unable to attend for one reason or another- C.D. if you are listening, please can you PM me as my freeserve account has closed and that was how you use to contact us.

Darren, Sarah

Sounds like you are not to far from us. We are in the RM of Ste Anne, 1 mile north of HWY1 also on a 5 acre lot.

Ang
Old Nov 30th 2005, 1:34 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by onlyme1
Sounds like you are not to far from us. We are in the RM of Ste Anne, 1 mile north of HWY1 also on a 5 acre lot.

Ang
Wow, I never thought I would be be saying "small world" now we are living in Canada but.....we live on Municipal Rd 49 North, we appear to be neighbours?!!

Darren
Old Nov 30th 2005, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

whoah you lucky, lucky people! sounds like the new years eve party is at on of your houses eh?

well, I still cant seem to post anything on crazy daisies website. Does anyone know if there's a meet up soon? I'd really like to meet up at some point.

On a british note, my family are visiting in 4 weeks, is there anything that anyone would like my parents to bring with them? Cadburys chocolate? mmm I know they have it here ... but its not the same, anyone else agree?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.