Reload this Page >

British Trained Nurses moving to NS

British Trained Nurses moving to NS

Old Oct 30th 2021, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

doodlebug149 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Trained Nurses moving to NS

Hi All.

Really hoping someone wouldn't mind sharing their experience with me. I am UK trained and work as a Sister in A&E here in the UK for the NHS. I am hoping to move my family to Nova Scotia. I have completed my IELTS, NNAS assessment (that was fun) and have submitted my NSBC application and waiting on the reply to that. In general, has anyone had to complete any additional training before they were able to complete the National test? Also, once the NSBC has responded, how quick is the process? Just wondering how others got on. Any information on the process from this point would be really gratefully received.
Thanks all.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Trained Nurses moving to NS

Just wondering if wanting NS why apply to BC?
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Just wondering if wanting NS why apply to BC?
Haha, Thank you for your response and pointing out my error. It's a good job you are here. Sorry I didn't apply for BC at all (that was my original choice) I have applied to NSCN and currently waiting on the outcome. :-)
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, they are usually pretty good and quick especially as the shortage is severe for nurses at the moment. However it may be a little busy at the moment as November is when our new year registration starts. Where are you looking to live?
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

That's helpful to know, thank you. How is the job market for foreign nurses. I am hoping that once registered I can secure a job fairly quickly but you never know if people can be bothered with providing a job offer and satisfying immigration. I really like the look of Bridgewater personally. Ideally we want rural but not a million miles away from Halifax. Maybe about an hour to 2 hours outside.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 8:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doodlebug149
That's helpful to know, thank you. How is the job market for foreign nurses. I am hoping that once registered I can secure a job fairly quickly but you never know if people can be bothered with providing a job offer and satisfying immigration. I really like the look of Bridgewater personally. Ideally we want rural but not a million miles away from Halifax. Maybe about an hour to 2 hours outside.
Have you looked into the Atlantic Provinces Pilot Project?
https://novascotiaimmigration.com/he...gration-pilot/

You would need a job offer from a designated employer and they support your application for PR (you may be able to get a temporary work permit while your application for PR is being processed). For Nova Scotia here is the designated employers list: https://novascotiaimmigration.com/wp..._employers.pdf

If you open the pdf in firefox you don't have to download it to view it - then use ctrl+F to get the search box up (windows) and input 'health' - you should come up with a few companies / govt departments and then you can look for their websites and the jobs advertised to see if any are advertising for nurses - Nova Scotia Health Authority was one that came up - Nova Scotia Health Authority // https://jobs.nshealth.ca/iwk/go/Regi...Nurse/2569017/

I noticed that on the job adverts they say"Licensed, or eligible to be licensed, with the Nova Scotia College of Nursing (NSCN) required"

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 2nd 2021 at 8:12 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

i live 2 hours from Halifax and on the border of NB. I looked at bridgewater but found it a bit expensive and the drive from Halifax was very long, my opinion. If you look at CBC news for Nova Scotia the government has just announced an initiative for bringing in staff for LTC which may help you. The Atlantic stream is also something to look at. I know looking on indeed.com for Registered Nurses it will give you an idea on jobs
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Oh great, thank you for the information. We did look up your way but I didn't find too many hospitals, but then again I was searching the whole of NS so wizzed through some areas. I will have to have a look around again.
I did look at the APP and I think I fit into that category which is an option. Thank you, I am going to look up the initiative now. I am waiting for the registration to go through and then I can start looking properly. I have a child with some medical issues which is another hurdle I will need to get over but after looking at the health policy, I think/hope he will be fine. My plan is to try and gain PR before we come over but not sure how realistic that is when asking for an employer to wait whilst that goes ahead. The alternative is to apply for the work permit once I have the job offer and attempt to do the medical then. The last thing I want, is to up-route the family and sell everything here, only to find out our application is inadmissible. I will have a look at indeed. I did notice a role in the hospital at Bridgewater which sounded good. Desperate to get a plan together and work out the best approach. Sorry, I feel like I've bored you with my life story now hahah.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Siouxie. I've done a fair amount of research and well on my way to getting my registration but need to work out the best approach really. Hopefully I will be able to secure a position with a hospital who doesn't mind supporting my application and waiting until that all goes through. Will see how the next bit goes. Trying not to stress too much but get a plan together as well. :-)

Thanks again.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 11:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh great, thank you for the information. We did look up your way but I didn't find too many hospitals, but then again I was searching the whole of NS so wizzed through some areas. I will have to have a look around again.
I did look at the APP and I think I fit into that category which is an option. Thank you, I am going to look up the initiative now. I am waiting for the registration to go through and then I can start looking properly. I have a child with some medical issues which is another hurdle I will need to get over but after looking at the health policy, I think/hope he will be fine. My plan is to try and gain PR before we come over but not sure how realistic that is when asking for an employer to wait whilst that goes ahead. The alternative is to apply for the work permit once I have the job offer and attempt to do the medical then. The last thing I want, is to up-route the family and sell everything here, only to find out our application is inadmissible. I will have a look at indeed. I did notice a role in the hospital at Bridgewater which sounded good. Desperate to get a plan together and work out the best approach. Sorry, I feel like I've bored you with my life story now hahah.
Please be aware when it comes to permanent residency there are parameters that have to be met - i.e. there is a limit on what costs can be involved for medical / social (including special schooling) for a dependant child - if your child is likely to need care that will exceed these parameters you will need to have a plan and show you will be able to cover any costs for medical / social care that exceed the amount designated for a period averaging 5 years - known as excessive demand. You may find reading the panel physician's handbook of use: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...hysicians.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...uirements.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ssibility.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-fairness.html

If you go through the Atlantic Provinces Pilot Project you can get a support letter enabling you to obtain a temporary work permit while your Permanent Residence application if finalised/processed.
As a nurse, you would require an up front medical so you don't have a clause precluding working in medical care on the work permit.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 2nd 2021 at 11:12 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 12:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Please be aware when it comes to permanent residency there are parameters that have to be met - i.e. there is a limit on what costs can be involved for medical / social (including special schooling) for a dependant child - if your child is likely to need care that will exceed these parameters you will need to have a plan and show you will be able to cover any costs for medical / social care that exceed the amount designated for a period averaging 5 years - known as excessive demand. You may find reading the panel physician's handbook of use: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...hysicians.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...uirements.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ssibility.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-fairness.html

If you go through the Atlantic Provinces Pilot Project you can get a support letter enabling you to obtain a temporary work permit while your Permanent Residence application if finalised/processed.
As a nurse, you would require an up front medical so you don't have a clause precluding working in medical care on the work permit.
Thank you, I appreciate this. As I said, I have done a fair bit of research so we think we would be fine with the costs, they should come way under what the parameters are. I thought best to research all of this before we started to pay out for the skills transfers and assessments. We emigrated once before and fell down some huge holes during the process (we got there in the end haha) so this time we are fully prepared. Although the need for a medical before I get any visa is something new and really helpful actually, thank you. Would that be everyone that would have their medical at the same time? As I say, the last thing I want to do is come over on a temp work visa only to find we are excluded on medical grounds and have to return home. I'd rather get the medicals completed first and then argue the point if I need to. Luckily we should be fine but you never know on paper how things will be determined. or viewed.
Thanks again.
Old Nov 21st 2021, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Kudiratabim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello I am new here.I am a trained Nurse from Nigeria but I am qualified as a registered Nurse in the UK.I wish to move with my family to Canada .Please how do i start the process.Thank you
Old Nov 21st 2021, 10:37 pm
Banned

Thank you, I appreciate this. As I said, I have done a fair bit of research so we think we would be fine with the costs, they should come way under what the parameters are. I thought best to research all of this before we started to pay out for the skills transfers and assessments. We emigrated once before and fell down some huge holes during the process (we got there in the end haha) so this time we are fully prepared. Although the need for a medical before I get any visa is something new and really helpful actually, thank you. Would that be everyone that would have their medical at the same time? As I say, the last thing I want to do is come over on a temp work visa only to find we are excluded on medical grounds and have to return home. I'd rather get the medicals completed first and then argue the point if I need to. Luckily we should be fine but you never know on paper how things will be determined. or viewed.
Thanks again.
Most welcome Regarding the medical and work permit - as a nurse you would need to have an up front medical (and clearance) so that the clause on the work permit which precludes work in healthcare etc., isn't added. No need for anyone else to have the medical when applying for the TWP m(although they will be required for any PR application).. For up front medical see: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration....html#jobs-med
Old Nov 22nd 2021, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

I lived South of Bridgewater for about 14 years and Bridgewater was the main town I had to go to for shopping, sports, doctors, car repairs, etc. so I know it well enough. I also still own a property on the outskirts and am considering moving back there within the next years. It's a nice-sized town and if you like rural there are lots of little communities in the area. The commute from Bridgewater to Halifax would be a good hour depending on weather of course. I can't say anything about the professional side , but there is a hospital there and they were always crying out for nurses, like everywhere in NS. I had two major surgeries in that hospital and felt that the quality of care (in my personal case) was every bit as good as in Germany, where I live now.
Good Luck with your decision.