Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British School in Calgary

British School in Calgary

Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

banerjeer1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British School in Calgary

Are there any British School in Calgary (offering GCSE/A levels)? My daughter is starting year 9 in England and we may have to move to Calgary.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:02 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British School in Calgary

Originally Posted by banerjeer1
Are there any British School in Calgary (offering GCSE/A levels)? My daughter is starting year 9 in England and we may have to move to Calgary.
No.

Your daughter will have to attend a Canadian school.

Perhaps reading this may help. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Education-Canada

http://www.cbe.ab.ca/

Last edited by Steve_P; Aug 5th 2011 at 3:06 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:29 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

As Steve said.

How long are you intending to stay in Canada? If she wishes to finish her GCSE and A level studies she will probably have to stay in UK with friends/family if that is possible.

If you intend to live over here, then it'll be more useful to her to embrace the Canadian school system, as GCSEs/A Levels are not widely recognised here outside of (some) academic instututions.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

banerjeer1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks folks for the quick reply. I may have to relocate to Calgary for 3 to 5 years maximum.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

One thing you have to consider is that they start later over in Calgary so she might not be in the same year that she is in England. Over there the cut off is March (not Sept) like here and therefore if we manage to emigrate he will be almost repeating a year.

The Calgary Board of Education are brilliant at answering questions. I have mailed them loads over which grade my son would start in. He is almost 6 and completed 2 full years at school here (he's the youngest in his year here). They have said they would advise that he doesn't go into the grade above (if his abilities are a year ahead) because of social maturity. I don't know what they would advise in your situation. Ask them - they are more than happy to help.

Here is their website http://www.cbe.ab.ca/schools/schools.asp

Just thought the above info would be useful for you to know.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 1:42 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

You could look into independent schools ( you'll pay fees of course) but some will offer the International Baccleureate , which is a more " European " style qualification and certainly recognized by UK universities
Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
You could look into independent schools ( you'll pay fees of course) but some will offer the International Baccalaureate , which is a more "European" style qualification and certainly recognized by UK universities
A number of Calgary Board of Education Schools offer the International Baccalaureate program so no real need to go private/independent.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 3:36 am
Just Joined

aldo is an unknown quantity at this point

Also check out the Catholic School system - it's called something else - but maybe another member can recall. Canadian public schools are very good compared to the English (state) schools system. It's rare to attend 'private' schools - and the catholic schools are really just an extension of the state school system.

I'd put your mind at ease about this. Where you live is much more important as it will dictate the catchment aera for the schools. PM if you like. I lived there years ago and still have friends there.

Basically avoid the east side of the city (it is arranged by quadrant) - so North West and South West are best - but there exceptions - inlcuding the centre of the city which are good.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by aldo
Also check out the Catholic School system - it's called something else - but maybe another member can recall. Canadian public schools are very good compared to the English (state) schools system. It's rare to attend 'private' schools - and the catholic schools are really just an extension of the state school system.

I'd put your mind at ease about this. Where you live is much more important as it will dictate the catchment aera for the schools. PM if you like. I lived there years ago and still have friends there.

Basically avoid the east side of the city (it is arranged by quadrant) - so North West and South West are best - but there exceptions - inlcuding the centre of the city which are good.
Website for the Calgary Separate School district: http://www.cssd.ab.ca/

Parents of students not previously registered at any grade level should call the school for an appointment to register. The student's birth certificate and one parent's Catholic baptismal certificate should be presented at the time of registration.
From the website page on registration. http://www.cssd.ab.ca/default.asp?V_ITEM_ID=187
Old Aug 6th 2011, 3:53 am
Just Joined

aldo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks steve - yes "separate"!
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:57 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
A number of Calgary Board of Education Schools offer the International Baccalaureate program so no real need to go private/independent.
Did not know that , I think in Ontario it's exclusively an independent school thing

Good to know
Old Aug 6th 2011, 5:02 am

Did not know that , I think in Ontario it's exclusively an independent school thing

Good to know
Upon further searching, there are five high schools within the CBE that offer the IB program.

http://www.cbe.ab.ca/programs/prog-enrich.asp#ib

And five more in the Calgary Separate (Catholic) system.

http://www.cssd.ab.ca/default.asp?V_ITEM_ID=255

Last edited by Steve_P; Aug 6th 2011 at 5:06 am.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 11:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. My kids were bac'd at a state funded school.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:57 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know
I know of at least one public high school in Oakville that offers IB programmes to diploma level, and a couple that offer the Gr 6-8 program. I'd imagine there is more than one in the TDSB region.